Why am I seeing SO MANY Hubs with obvious GRAMMATICAL ERRORS in the TITLE?

Jump to Last Post 1-31 of 31 discussions (31 posts)
  1. Don Bobbitt profile image85
    Don Bobbittposted 12 years ago

Why am I seeing SO MANY Hubs with obvious GRAMMATICAL ERRORS in the TITLE?

I mean, People? The Title is your HOOK!

2. jdavis88 profile image91
    jdavis88posted 12 years ago

One possible reason for that is the large amount of hub writers that barely speak english, whether they were born here or in another country.

Another reason for some of these hubs is that some keyword searches in Google adwords will bring up search terms that are mispessed or have the words moved around in odd ways.  These long search keywords generally are easier to use and get your page ranked higher with google.

3. Felixedet2000 profile image57
    Felixedet2000posted 12 years ago

No one knows for sure. We can help each other in many ways.

4. profile image0
    Phelckyposted 12 years ago

I think there are many people here on hubpages who don't speak English in their everyday life. Including me I'm from Denmark. Some people are better at English than others. Some don't realize that they made a mistake. It can happen to anyone. You could just tell that person that they made a mistake in a polite way. I mean personalty I would appreciate it.  We should all help each other smile

5. cclitgirl profile image91
    cclitgirlposted 12 years ago

Hehehe...they haven't seen my grammar hubs.  Hehehe.  Just kidding.  I think people just don't know the rules.  And yes, I've made hubs about them because it really does make me crazy to see bad grammar.  I almost think HubPages should moderate hubs BEFORE they're published.  Then again, that could be a monumental task.  People really do need to proofread and then refresh themselves on the basics of writing.

6. mbyL profile image67
    mbyLposted 12 years ago

One reason is for sure that there really are many non-native english speaker. It is even true for my case. But I would say that sometimes they do it on purpose in order to have a better ranking in google. That's why there are sometimes titles, which sound somehow English, but a bit weird.

7. profile image0
    paulgcposted 12 years ago

Hello Don,

I think that there are so many errors because we all have different levels of writing competence.Some are not as skilled a writer as others and as such they have more to learn. Luckily there are people within hubpages such as your good self who may be able to offer some advice for those who do make the odd mistake.

8. hush4444 profile image60
    hush4444posted 12 years ago

I wish I knew!  If I see one more hub on how to "loose" weight, I'm going to scream.  Who needs loose weight?  The other two are using "it's" when they mean "its" and "your" when they mean "you're".  I understand why non-English speakers might have trouble, but some of the misspellings are from self-proclaimed grammar Nazis.  I agree with cclitgirl - everyone needs to proofread (or have someone proofread for them) and review the basics of grammar and punctuation.  I'm not perfect either, but I can usually catch my mistakes.

9. Ironman1992 profile image60
    Ironman1992posted 12 years ago

I'm a little picky about grammer. I do make mistakes, but I try to read over my hubs and fix them. I don't think most people are that concerned with proper grammer though.

10. profile image0
    setarehposted 12 years ago

I hate to sound judgemental or harsh but the number of children who can speak english and write grammatically correct seems to be decreasing. Seems, i say because it's what i see now.
    Using their instead of they're and your instead of you're.
    I'm a bit of a grammar nazi . .  it's a curse really!

11. Nicholas Ikumi profile image61
    Nicholas Ikumiposted 12 years ago

probably it's because we don't all come from purely English speaking countries.our accents still interfere with our grammar.no offense i hope.

12. feenix profile image57
    feenixposted 12 years ago

Why so many grammatical errors?

Texting is 2 blame, u c

13. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 12 years ago

After reading through some of the responses to this question, I see that grammatical errors are not just in the titles!  I feel if you're going to write for a site like this, the very least you should do is use a grammar and spell checker.  I'm a retired Language Arts teacher, and even I spell and grammar check my work before publishing it.  Could it be that some of our writers just don't want to be bothered?

14. Faceless39 profile image93
    Faceless39posted 12 years ago

I'm an admitted Grammar Nazi (and have written many grammar hubs.)  That said, there are lots of people here whose mother tongue isn't English.  As to the rest, if you've ever Hub Hopped, it's really astounding how low the quality is for about 80% of published hubs.

15. profile image0
    jtexasposted 12 years ago

One reason could be that some people may not take the time to proof read their articles. I know sometimes I go back and reread my articles and find a few here and there. There is always room for improvement.

16. BriansGal316 profile image61
    BriansGal316posted 12 years ago

Because, unfortunately, people can't spell.

17. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image60
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 12 years ago

Not everyone who can write is also a good editor, myself included. I hope to get some constructive feedback from others on this website who ARE good editors.

18. profile image53
    Mylesnitsuaposted 12 years ago

Simply because everyone does not pay attention to what they are writing. All these errors are only to one goal, to write and earn never mind the quality as long as they earn.

19. geetika iyer profile image75
    geetika iyerposted 12 years ago

Yes I agree, that the requirement of pertinent language may not be the need of the hour any more but this could very well be just due to ignorance. All writing done today is done on computers alone. This makes us dependant on the grammar and spell check button. Many major grammar and spelling corrections are missed out by the spell checker. It also does not work on Capital letters.

Then there is the question of the language option! British English and American English do have some distinction. So depending on the medium of instruction used in our respective country there will always be some error to the other.

At the end, i think reviewing your writing after a break is the best solution to keep it error free.

20. quizbomb profile image57
    quizbombposted 12 years ago

I would say that it's because they don't appreciate the value of Hubpages and aren't spending the extra time to go over their articles before they submit them which is a shame because I have to say that Hubpages is probably the BEST web 2.0 site on-line, and I don't say that lightly.

If they are writing for clients they may feel that it's not in their best interest to maintain a high standard of work because of the time it takes in comparison to the amount they are being paid.

If they are writing for themselves perhaps they have the inclination that quantity beats quality. Everyone knows or should know that there is some good money to be made on web 2.0 sites but it's a numbers game like a lot of methods on the net so the need to write dozens in a short space of time leads to shoddier work being submitted. I mean there are only so many hours in the day smile

21. ThomasBaker profile image60
    ThomasBakerposted 12 years ago

I understand how you feel, Don.
    I am probably one of those whose grammer is not perfect, but I do my best.
    In a way, it is encouraging to see so many Hubbers doing what they can by writing their pieces. It's an art to write an entertaining Hub and I applaud anyone who tries even if the grammer in the title is not perfect.
    It is hard for me to judge others "lest I be judged". I do, however, get your point...a good hook catches the fish.

22. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 12 years ago

When I first joined up here I would leave a comment correcting them if I saw a Hub with a misspelling in its title, but after a while I just gave up.... there were too many, and I realized that doing it probably made me seem like a jerk...

23. Express10 profile image85
    Express10posted 12 years ago

It's possible they were simply not being careful and there are a lot of writers who aren't native English speakers. I agree with you, if I find grammatical errors in my own hubs, I cringe. It's not fun to read errors, just distracting. As long as someone is constructive and not insulting I would be thankful if any error in the title, body, or wherever is brought to my attention.

24. hillymillydee profile image60
    hillymillydeeposted 12 years ago

Of course the first thing we can say is that the writer is not good in english, or he didn't edit it.

But some writers really intend to do that because of terms people are using in their google search. If we go with what terms or phrases that people are typing, they can easily find our hubs. Actually not only here in Hubpages, you can notice in the google search  that there are lots of grammatical errors in the title of articles and that is one reason why they are in the first page of the SERP because they yield to searcher's terms.

25. profile image0
    HubTubposted 12 years ago

Couldn't agree with you more, Don.  I usually don't read past the title if it contains grammatical errors or a misspelling.  To me, this usually indicates a very poorly written hub is to follow.

26. midwest1 profile image61
    midwest1posted 12 years ago

Call me crazy but, I think content is more important.  Guess that's why I never enjoyed English class . . . . . . .ha!

27. profile image0
    MP50posted 12 years ago

I would have to agree with you on this one Don, the grammaticl errors and spelling mistakes on some of the Hub title's are shocking?

28. ib radmasters profile image59
    ib radmastersposted 12 years ago

Poetic license of the authors to get your attention, and in your case it seems to have worked. lol

29. BeTheMessage1 profile image62
    BeTheMessage1posted 12 years ago

Don,

I will first admit that I am grammatically challenged. Being that as it may. The avenues of communication are very diverse and change daily. I come out of a profession that deals with youth. There communication via text message and social media is a form of communication that probably makes English teachers cringe. I for one think that there needs to be a renaissance or an communication bridge to bridge the gap between the generations.

30. Stevethepainter profile image60
    Stevethepainterposted 12 years ago

I wish I could give accurate credit for this, but sadly I can not:

I saw a graphic recently - on a Hub Page, i think -  of a love letter, opened to the hand-written message.

The note went as folllows:

" I know it makes me sound slutty, but please use me whenever you can.  Grammar"

Inspirational, no?

31. flacoinohio profile image76
    flacoinohioposted 12 years ago

We see this because people often write in conversational English instead of proper English, they write how they speak instead of how they should be writing.  I do it all of the time, in fact I might be doing it right now.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)