What do you think about replacing text books in schools with ipads?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)
  1. lupine profile image65
    lupineposted 12 years ago

What do you think about replacing text books in schools with ipads?

I heard on the news recently, a local middle school will replace most text books by issuing ipads to students. At the end of the year they will have to option to purchase it at a discount.

2. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 12 years ago

No the expense would be horrendous and with the loss and destruction alone that happens to kids "books" - we'd all go broke supporting it.

3. mkeith profile image60
    mkeithposted 12 years ago

I firmly believe this is the future.  In fact a year ago a friend of mine and I were discussing the real costs of putting together a demo product.

Ipad's are ridiculous.  It will be a low-cost android os with a durable casing.  Wifi connection, and bluetooth.  Capacitive touch screen with durable rubberized plastic liner cover to protect it.  Connection to online media library at the school, no more huge costs for textbooks ( instead pay the publisher for multi-reader e-book licenses) and no more lost library books, or late books (drm to auto check-in on time).  So many possibilities.

No option to buy, but there will have to be a buy-out cost for losing / destroying them. (GPS tracking for easy locating)

4. MojoDawg profile image61
    MojoDawgposted 12 years ago

I think it will happen no matter what, but it seems a shame not to be able to touch and feel the authors emotions like reading a good book.

5. THEHuG5 profile image60
    THEHuG5posted 12 years ago

I think it's a great idea. It saves student from having to lug heavy textbooks around, and having to deal with paper books that are falling apart. It's cheaper in the long run and it's better for the environment. I bet that within the next 20 years most, if not ALL  schools will be the same way.

6. leenamartha profile image41
    leenamarthaposted 12 years ago

I think, it would be best because mostly children avoid there books generally, but after this they will be very attractive to their study with ipads.

7. Ana Teixeira profile image60
    Ana Teixeiraposted 12 years ago

I am absolutely against it. I posted a Hub precisely about the impact of technology in children. As a teacher, i believe replacing books with Ipads is the fastest way of making our children forget education all together. Let me ask you this: Do you think in recess those kids will still be going outside to play? OR, will they stay inside to play with the new ipad and stop developing social skills? Technology is already killing creativity in children.. Tech is good.. but we can't allow children to become tech addicts so early in their lives and then complain when they can't even write with a pen anymore.

8. lupine profile image65
    lupineposted 12 years ago

Ana Teixeira - I do agree with you, kids creativity has been taken away by public schools, such as doing plays, singing, art...now actual book reading? I feel sorry for the kids growing up today. Kids are very smart and could be introduced to technology in the upper grades. As for your concern about recess, yes, kids are not getting enough exercise today, because they are inside playing video games. We here about it all the time.

9. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
    DzyMsLizzyposted 12 years ago

BAD idea!  Very bad idea, indeed!  Kids already do not read enough; we are already far too dependent upon electronic gizmos and devices.  A single EMF pulse could wipe out all the electronics in the school.  Physical books are not subject to damaging electronic surges.
    Then, there is the matter of batteries that constantly need recharging, and eventually, replacing. Then, disposal becomes a problem--we are already seeing specialized "e-waste" collection sites because of the assorted hazardous materials found in our modern electronics.
    I say, simplify, and do not further encourage such total dependence upon electronic gadgets.

10. Daughter Of Maat profile image95
    Daughter Of Maatposted 12 years ago

I think it's a wonderful idea. Kids won't have to carry as much in backpacks which will help prevent back and neck problems in the future. Not to mention ipads will encourage kids to want to learn. It's easier to make learning fun and interactive with any computing device, not just ipads. Kids will be more likely to actually complete reading assignments, and finish homework. Plus it's environmentally friendly since there is much less paper. The only con to ipads, is if we ever lose electricity, there would be no access to reference materials store on the device once the charge runs out.

11. Marturion profile image59
    Marturionposted 12 years ago

We need to remember that this is an experimental program, designed to learn what the ultimate outcome of placing higher technology in the hands of kids.  It could easily go either way -- Which is the point.  the greatest achievements in education reform and advancements have occurred through these types of experiments.  I say, let's keep an eye on the result and act accordingly.

12. profile image0
    Billie Paglioloposted 12 years ago

Replacing textbook in schools with ipads is AMAZING, WONDERFUL!  The interactivity will be amazing.  In fourth grade, we had a science book with the solar system.  I remember raising my hand, standing on the left side of the desk as we were required to do when asking a question, and telling Sister Mary Anne Margaret, that I could understand the picture because the Earth was "on top" and the the Sun was "beneath" it and another planet "below" that. The nun I admired so much was at a loss as to how to explain this to me, and I was frustrated and disappointed. Children will be able to click on an image that will show the solar system in 3 dimensions.  History classes will have actual clips of newsreels when studying World War II or Vietnam.  Right now, I'm trying to get my narrated ebook, "Lucky, the Left Pawed Puppy" converted to the narrated version for the smart phones.  Why?  Because my little four year old neighbor listens to, interacts, and reads all her little stories on her little Blackberry.  It's an exciting new world.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)