Do you think lending a friend money could ruin your relationship?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)
  1. editorsupremo profile image67
    editorsupremoposted 12 years ago

Do you think lending a friend money could ruin your relationship?

After a couple of mistakes in lending money to friends, I vowed I would never lend again but would rather give them the money so that there would be no arguments about when to pay back, or being put in the position where you feel uncomfortable asking for the return of your own money.

What do you think. Can money get in between friends and ruin their relationship?

2. mackyi profile image64
    mackyiposted 12 years ago

You just said it yourself ! Lending money to friends can certainly ruin friendships. But at the same time friends are suppose to be there for friends! Contrarily, no one should ever "bite the hands that feed them."

3. ithabise profile image72
    ithabiseposted 12 years ago

Save yourself the grief and follow your gut, which I hope is telling you not to do it. Yes, money does ruin relationships. If a large number of marriage end due to finances--not lack of love or breach of trust--why won't it end a friendship? It's basically the same thing.

4. kayyluh profile image61
    kayyluhposted 12 years ago

I never lend money to friends because some people I know did that and are no longer friends with the people they borrowed from. I don't trust lending anyone money except for my mom but other than that I think that everyone in my life wouldn't pay me back. When people don't pay me back and ask for money again it really bothers me. So yes it can ruin the relationship between friends.

5. bhaskardada profile image41
    bhaskardadaposted 12 years ago

If any friendship is broken for money, I think it was only a pseudo-friendship and it was bound to be broken, the sooner the better. I agree with with ithabise.

6. editorsupremo profile image67
    editorsupremoposted 12 years ago

Thanks all for your input.
    Obviously the answer is yes, lending money to friends can ruin a friendship
    As you say ithabise if financial problems between married people can cause a breakdown of a marriage, why can't the same happen to a friendship?

Kayyluh stick to your premise of never lending money to friends and mackyi I love that principles 'don't bite the hand that feeds you' and 'don't look a gift horse in the mouth!'

bhaskardada you're right, they probably weren't true friends in the first place.

Jublierose all I can say is, whatever friend you lend money to who doesn't value your friendhip will contribute to ruining it will not care about doing so.

7. ThussaysNanaMarie profile image62
    ThussaysNanaMarieposted 12 years ago

With some friends you are damned if you do and you are damned if you don't.  A true friend will pay you back knowing how things are with you. Resentments can creep in because lending money is a power thing.
    I would give only what I can afford to lose. So if it never gets refunded then I won't feel so bad. If I don't give, it may look as if I don't value my friend's problem.

8. Mac31 profile image61
    Mac31posted 12 years ago

I think that lending money to anyone can affect your relationship with them.  I would never lend any of my friends money plan and simple, because more than likely they are going to expect you to be a little more easy on when they should pay you back.  One thing that you should do is to make sure you tell them that you need the money no later than a week at the most.  Be sure you even lie about it that it is coming from your rent or car payment money if you even decide to lend someone money. 

Personally I would not lend anyone money, because if they don't have the money now more than likely they are not going to have it when you ask for.

Hope that helps.

9. cheaptoys profile image60
    cheaptoysposted 12 years ago

yes it would if he or she is the type who doesnt intend to pay back but u want the money back!

10. darrensurrey profile image60
    darrensurreyposted 12 years ago

I've seen it happen too many times. If you have a friend and you want to help them out, lend it to them but tell yourself that you probably won't see it back. Chances are, your friend will constantly make excuses or suddenly be very hard to contact. So if you value them as a friend you're probably best off telling them that you want to help them and will give it to them as a gift but if they can pay it back, you would appreciate it!

It is, of course, during such tough economic times that we find out who our true friends are!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)