When commenting on other Hubbers articles, do you point out spelling and grammar

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (15 posts)
  1. pagesvoice profile image73
    pagesvoiceposted 12 years ago

When commenting on other Hubbers articles, do you point out spelling and grammar errors?

2. beezico profile image71
    beezicoposted 12 years ago

Usually, experienced hubbers do not like to take this route openly with new hubbers as it may serve to be discouragement other than a prodding to a positive end. Nevertheless, with an understanding of relationships through the forums and threads, we can then offer our constructive critique that may not be taken wrongly.

3. profile image0
    Sooner28posted 12 years ago

No.  I would only do this if the person openly asked for feedback about the actual writing on their hubpage biography, or if they included it in the hub I was reading.  Otherwise, I simply comment on the content.  The only time I will comment on the writing if there is no prompt is to say that I thought the piece was well-written.  I've even done that on hubs I vehemently disagreed with.

If someone were to contact me personally though, I would be more than happy to help.

4. profile image0
    Catzgendronposted 12 years ago

I wouldn't because it's possible that English may be their 2nd language and that is how they understand the sentence or use of the word should be.

5. profile image0
    Kieran Gracieposted 12 years ago

No, I think that would seem rude and a bit presumptuous - 'people in glass houses ... ' and all that.  I have been known to forget the spell-check myself on the odd occasion!

6. Sunshine625 profile image87
    Sunshine625posted 12 years ago

It depends on who wrote the hub. Chances are if I know the writer I would point out a typo and I would hope they would do the same for me. I would do so privately, never in a comment. Would you allow your friend to walk around with their zipper down or something hanging from their nose? Hopefully not.

7. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 12 years ago

I used to but eventually realized that it probably made me sound like a know-it-all jerk, so I stopped.

8. JamaGenee profile image78
    JamaGeneeposted 12 years ago

NO, at least not in a comment.  As someone else pointed out, English may not be the author's native language.  However, if an author specifically asks for feedback on spelling and grammar errors, I'll do so via HP email, but never in the Comments section.  After any errors are corrected, such a comment would no longer be relevant and would instead sound simply petty and insulting.

9. profile image0
    Indigitalposted 12 years ago

No, I wouldn't. I find it quite annoying when someone does it on mine, especially when it's not a grammatically error, it's an error in my sentence structure.

10. WookieWonderfuls profile image60
    WookieWonderfulsposted 12 years ago

No i don't, especially as mine is not perfect smile

11. Brandon E Newman profile image64
    Brandon E Newmanposted 12 years ago

Not good PR for you to do that. Most of the comments that I see are positive ones. Remember they are public, and are the most interesting part of many hubs. However,you may contact the hubber though email, which would be much more tactful. I personally would appreciate an email informing me of typos, or bad grammar. Hubpages has taught me more about English than any schoolteacher ever did. That's my $.02

12. pagesvoice profile image73
    pagesvoiceposted 12 years ago

I found myself asking this question because a participant with a professional degree was quick to point out they were the grammar police in addressing a typo I had made. Naturally, I was embarrassed at my error and corrected it immediately. However, since that incident, I have noticed immeasurable typos and sentence structure errors with this same person, but I have kept my lip zipped. After your responses, now I know to keep it that way. Thank you.

13. ImKarn23 profile image72
    ImKarn23posted 12 years ago

Probably the only time i would point out an error is if it affected the gist of the sentence or paragraph. Otherwise definitely not! I'm not spell check and i'm sure my grammar ain't always perfect neither..(lol)

14. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

I don't (and for the same reason, pagesvoice, that you mentioned elsewhere here).  Besides that, I always think of what my father used to say when any of us would be expressing disapproval of what some kid at school did (when it had nothing to do with us).  More than once I've repeated his advice, "Don't you worry about what other kids are doing.  That's for them and their parents and the teacher to worry about.  You worry about what YOU do."

If all the people who feel the need to point out the errors of others would instead get to work cleaning up all their own errors (and anything else that makes their work on here less than perfect) those people would be good and busy, and using their time most constructively, for quite awhile.  smile

15. Sherry Hewins profile image92
    Sherry Hewinsposted 12 years ago

I have only done it a couple of times, but it has never seemed to be appreciated, even when I did it privately by email. People say they want to know, but really they don't seem to want to be told. And maybe I'd feel the same, nobody has pointed out error to me, and I'm sure I've made some.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)