Do you believe in long distance relationships? Why? Why not? Can you give exampl

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)
  1. algarveview profile image74
    algarveviewposted 12 years ago

Do you believe in long distance relationships? Why? Why not? Can you give examples?

2. sportgames profile image60
    sportgamesposted 12 years ago

I don't believe long distance relationships work for the long run. It might work for a little while, but if some months turn into several years, that relationship is doomed. People change and by the time they reunite, they will be two complete strangers.

3. litsabd profile image65
    litsabdposted 12 years ago

I know we can deal with every difficulty if we believe it is worth it. Nevertheless, a distance relationship tires if it is for a long time and especially if it has no prospect of become a not distant one in the future. I am now, at the age of 36, against distance relationships as I would like my people to be around me or away from me for a short period of time.

4. dashingscorpio profile image79
    dashingscorpioposted 12 years ago

Love is where you find it. However I would say long distance relationships are Inherently designed to be temporary. Ideally the plan is to have one person eventually move to the other person’s location at some point in time. Most long distance relationships come about due to circumstances. (work assignment, college, military, or the couple met one another while one was on vacation).
    Although technology has improved to the point where one can see each other daily using Skype or a webcam, sending emails, texts, as well as tradtional phone calls and mail; there is no substitute for being with one another. This is especially true if you are having a major disagreement. It's much easier to ignore or cut off ties in a long distance relationship when people are angry or upset. Even if you manage to make amends there is no traditional way of making up by being intimate or simply going for a walk together.
    Last but not least, (loneliness can sometimes give way to temptation) especially if a couple is not able to see each other for long stretches at time.
    One example is when high school grads go away to seperate colleges. Part of being on a large university campus are the social activities, parties, making new friends, study sesssions, and living life with zest. It gets old watching other couples spend time together, kissing, holding hands, going to dances, or even sharing pizza on weekends. It's human nature to want to celebrate your victories with the one you love as well as lean on them during difficult times. A congratulations phone call or hearing them say, I'm sorry it didn't work out over the phone does not offer the same comfort as being there.

Many high school sweethearts end up spliting up before the end of the second semester. In addition to all of the temptation and the overall environment on campus most students lack the finances to fly back and forth across the country to see each other on a monthly or even quartely basis. If one of them gets an apartment off campus they are likely not to visit where they grew up as much.

I suspect it may be a little easier to conduct a long distance relationship for mature adults who have the means to also travel back and forth to visit each other. Even with that there comes a point where if it is going to be a lasting relationship someone has to move. One man's opinion! :-)

5. Bldg an Architect profile image61
    Bldg an Architectposted 12 years ago

Long distance relationships can definitely work.  It takes a lot of effort and a lot of maturity, however.  You also need to make sure you start with a strong relationship and there is a plan for you to end up close by in the future.  I think the key is making sure you make plans to see each other and always be there emotionally for each other.  I've been in a relationship that's been long distance on-and-off over 2.5 years.

I've got a hub on making long distance work if you're interested.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)