At what age is it considered ok to leave a responsible child home alone for an h

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)
  1. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 12 years ago

At what age is it considered ok to leave a responsible child home alone for an hour?

2. Titen-Sxull profile image70
    Titen-Sxullposted 12 years ago

I'm not a parent, but I would argue maybe 7 or 8 years old. Of course there's a lot of different factors involved, like how important it is for you to leave (if it's an emergency you might leave an even younger child at home) or how safe a neighborhood you live in (again if your neighborhood is generally very safe you can probably leave a younger child at home) or if your house is 'child-proofed' correctly (cleaners and chemicals put away, knives and other sharp-objects out of reach, etc, if there's nothing dangerous they can get into while you're gone you can leave an even younger child at home).

3. breathe2travel profile image74
    breathe2travelposted 12 years ago

Provided that your neighborhood is safe, you know and trust your neighbors, I would say 8-10.  We allowed our daughter to begin staying home about 30 minutes to an hour when she was nine, under strict instruction to leave doors locked and no one could enter. We notified a trusted neighbor of our plans, and then left.  The first time she was allowed to stay home alone she surprised us with the table set for dinner. 

Three of my children are under 9, and I would not be comfortable leaving any of them home alone  at all.

4. kathleenkat profile image83
    kathleenkatposted 12 years ago

There is no particular age, but provided you can see that they are a self-sufficient, functioning person, it is okay to leave them on their own. Can they feed themselves? Can they use the toilet? Can they stay inside? Can they use the phone? Ask yourself whether or not your child is responsible enough, and observe how they behave when you are at home. Chances are they will probably behave the same.

Also, it is important to ask the child if they would be comfortable staying home alone, too.

Personally, my parents had to beg me to stay home alone when I was nine years old. I always preferred the company of a babysitter.

5. edhan profile image37
    edhanposted 12 years ago

Time has changed as when I was young, I was left alone at the age of 5. Nowadays, that age will not be so instead it will be at least 12 years old.

Maybe the reason is that during those days, we have lots of siblings as my family alone have 8 brothers & sisters. Now most families are having just 1 or 2 children. So, unless you have a maid to care for your child then it will be bringing the child out instead of leaving him/her at home even for an hour.

6. MrMaranatha profile image72
    MrMaranathaposted 11 years ago

Single Child or one with siblings?
    When there are two or more kids it starts with the oldest... if you could not trust that one alone by himself/herself then you would not trust a group of two or more either.

Depends allot on the area in which you life and maturity of the kid in question.  Mine have been allowed this time for several years already but they are very mature for their ages mentally. 
    It is not just about the neighborhood being secure.. but worries about whether you can trust the kid to be safe in a house full of potential calamities...
    Does the child use good sense in how they approach challenges
    For example: Not try to stand on a water-jug for a step stool  while using a large kitchen knife to cut an apple snack... 

Forget about making your House Child Safe.... My question becomes...  Is your child House Safe?  Or are they accident prone??  Foolish?? 

If your child is foolish and accident prone... better not leave them alone  regardless of what age they are..  Your child by the way is a reflection of your instruction... Train them up in the way they Should go... Train them.  That is the responsibility of YOU the parent.

7. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 6 years ago

I would say 10 years of age is ok to leave a child home alone for an hour, not younger than that!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)