My first born has moved out

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (24 posts)
  1. Jane@CM profile image59
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

ARGH.  Sniff Sniff.  Really, I haven't cried yet, thought I'd be a bumbling idiot mom at the dorm, but it wasn't that bad.  Her roomy is from Chicago & just as excited as my daughter to see the parents leave --- you guys can go now, we'll set up our room LOL!

I am SO PROUD OF MYSELF (which is rare).  I achieved one of the goals that I set for being a mom...that my kids would get a college education, unlike me.  So with 46 credits under her belt (from PSEO & AP Classes) she is well on her way! 

I still have 5 more years to work on the boy-child LOL

1. Kadmiels profile image52
      Kadmielsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Congrats pretty soon you can rest on the money they are makeing for your retirement smile

2. profile image0
      \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The tears will flow when you least expect them..... i starting crying once in the supermarket.  Both of my sons left around the same time...... after they had gome i went shopping and kept picking things up and then having to put them back..... sob sob...... didn't cry when i got to the check out though he he

3. jhdinteriors profile image60
      jhdinteriorsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I just went through the same thing this fall, and I agree that it wasn't quite as bad as I thought it would be.  My daughter loves her roommate, her dorm floor, the sorority she pledged, and everything about her classes and the campus.  That makes it so much easier to know she is happy there. She also calls or texts me every day to tell me something funny or to chat between classes. I swear I talk to her more now than when she was still home!  She just came home for a weekend to visit and rearranged her schedule so she could surprise me a day early.  We had a great time and she was just as excited to get back to school as she was to be home. I say you should pat yourself on the back for having raised a daughter who is as strong away from home as she is at home!  I have a 14-year-old son as well, so we'll see how it goes when my last one leaves the nest!  Goodluck to your daughter and to you!

2. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

Congratulations! smile It made me smile to read this (from your perspective as mom)

46 credits already...wow, that will save a hefty amount (time & money!)

3. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Jane, your thread reminded me of when my own have headed off to college; and it inspired me to write a little Hub about it.  Off to paste from WordPad now.   smile  (It was originally a reply to your thread, but then I decided it may make a good (or "sort-of-ok" anyway) Hub.

4. missalyssa profile image59
    missalyssaposted 14 years ago

So I'm a daughter who just graduated from college. And by the time I had graduated after moving away for school, my mom and I were best friends. I've never been closer to her! We talk about everything and our relationship is amazing.
    And - believe it or not - you're daughter misses you as much as you miss her. She's excited, but sad. And scared. And looking forward to everything the future holds! I have a feeling that this will bring the two of you closer! smile

5. imadork profile image71
    imadorkposted 14 years ago

Good for her -- she will soon realize that adult life sucks and childhood was not so bad.

1. missalyssa profile image59
      missalyssaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm sending you good ju ju imadork. I know things must suck for you right now (seeing as your wife took your dogs) but positivity in the universe works wonders!

1. imadork profile image71
        imadorkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The universe is full of emptiness with the occasional celestial object. It is hard to find the star in so much emptiness.

It's only hard if you're not looking

Stars are light years between each other.  You can't blame me for missing a few.

If someone took my dogs, I would have trouble seeing beyond that as well. I'm just saying that you know the stars are there, you know you will see them again, and you should try to remember that in the times that really suck

2. profile image0
      \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

do you wish you were a child all over again.  Did you have dogs when you were a child also

Are you the psycho-babble lady?

6. lorlie6 profile image73
    lorlie6posted 14 years ago

Jane, I understand completely.  I was a blubbering mess for about a year after my nest emptied, only to find that he's moving back-temporarily, I hope!
    It sounds like you handled the 'go away, mom' vibes quite well, be proud of yourself.

7. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

I can barely handle a weekend or week away from my kids. I cried on 1st day of school with each one and when my older two moved out n still have 2 more to go but will start blubbering at the thought but I know, it's part of life and something we must go through. smile pride and tears, we love and adore our children.

8. Song-Bird profile image70
    Song-Birdposted 14 years ago

I know what you are going through.  My second daughter just left this Fall.  We do talk all of the time on the phone and on facebook.  My relationship with both of my daughters couldn't be better though.  It definitely is on a whole different level now and it is so great to see them grow and mature.  I too have a 14 year old son left at home..I think time can slow down a little bit now smile

9. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

When I, as a first born, moved out--it was with a note left on my bunkhouse pillow at the ranch stating,

"Don't bother to call the cops.  I'll get a lawyer if you do."

I was 18, owned my own car free and clear, and ran like a thief in the night (why is a Hub, maybe, too long for a forum post).
    It took me until my father's passing some 46 years later to balance things out with him over that (runaway) issue despite the fact that--as I learned eventually--he had done exactly the same thing at exactly the same age to his OWN father. 

All I'm saying is, sounds like you're still on great terms with YOUR moved-out offspring so...good for you!big_smile

10. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

I cried like a baby when my first one moved out. And when the second one moved out. And DEFINITELY when the last one left. But they soon starting have my grandchildren, which is awesome!

11. fishtiger58 profile image68
    fishtiger58posted 14 years ago

I am not looking forward to my sons leaving. I'm not ready to say goodbye yet. We all leave our parents its what we do but it doesn't make it any easier when your kids leave. I cry just thinking about it.

1. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't know how old your sons are, but if you're close to them it really isn't "goodbye" at all.  Not sleeping under the same roof doesn't do a thing to that underlying bond.  By the time it happens it seems right enough for them, and they're usually happy about it, so you're pretty ok with it (after that brief period of getting used to it).  They grow.  You grow.  Your relationship grows.  (Besides, these days with the cost of living being what it is a lot kids of come and go a time or two in those first few years after graduation, so the process of "completely and permanently moving out" can be gradual.)  Another thought is that if your kids are ten or fifteen nobody's really ready, but once they're at "the right age" somehow you're just happy to see that they're happy; and that makes the "getting-used-to" thing easier.

12. alekhouse profile image72
    alekhouseposted 14 years ago

My girls left home early. They grew up during the "hippy" era and rebelled against all institutions, including school. They skipped college and went directly to life. Fortunately, they acquired a little sense along the way and both went back and got college degrees.

Their leaving wasn't easy, wasn't planned, and was very anxiety provoking. I thank God every day they both turned out well.

13. Jane@CM profile image59
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

It is hard to let them go, I agree with you all. I didn't think I'd see her much, but she comes home much more than I anticipated.  Loves school, her room mate & new friends.  It makes it so much easier knowing she is happy!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)