Are many social labels just providing excuses for unacceptable behavior?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)
  1. IDONO profile image59
    IDONOposted 12 years ago

Are many social labels just providing excuses for unacceptable behavior?

A moody person is now called bi-polar. You can get disability for this.  An idiot behind the wheel now suffers from "road rage". It seems like a lot of labels make the offender , now the victim.

2. msviolets profile image82
    msvioletsposted 12 years ago

I think it's sort of the opposite.  Our society has created such rigid boundaries that instead of allowing people the space they need to create the tools they need to function individually; they need a label in order to do what they instinctively need.  Such as take a break during a nonbreak work hour, or a day off if they're overwhelmed easily. 
    Bi polar is much more than moods.  It's moods that reach debilitating proportions and make it impossible for a person to function normally due to an imbalance of chemicals in the brain.  Identifying this problem can help a person who seems erratic on paper keep their job while they find the tools they need to keep their 'moods' under control.  In this society that label provides a very necessary function.  There was a day when it would have been accepted that mild symptoms were just a quirk, and friends would pick up the slack while being supportive.  The sufferer would have reciprocated once they could.  Of course, severe symptoms always needed treatment.  Sometimes that treatment was pretty unpleasant.  :-(

3. DAWNEMARS profile image60
    DAWNEMARSposted 12 years ago

Social labels may provide information about the cause of some behaviors. It is not an offense to have a mental condition. Unacceptable behavior is still unacceptable no matter what the cause may be. Prevention would require understanding the information. Then acting on it.

4. LillyGrillzit profile image80
    LillyGrillzitposted 12 years ago

We know that there are people who have mental defects, and these are true medical issues.

People who are rude, unethical, and carelessabout the well-being of others are rising in number.

The common phrase used for bad behaving, but otherwise healthy individuals; "That's just the way they are.." is a lammo excuse in today's world.

Wonder why some get away with terriblle behavior, while others are not allowed to act this way.

Television promotes rudeness,  and a lack of concern for others.

5. Peter Leeper profile image61
    Peter Leeperposted 12 years ago

Wow.  I kind of hope you wrote this question to be intentionally provocative as opposed to truly believing that what you state is happing is the norm.

I am afraid to tell you that bi-polar disorder and being moody are completely different animals.  Moody people don't tend to cut up their arms and fly off the deep end to the point where they are a menace to society.  Bi-polar people do when not medicated properly.

Your second bad example of an idiot behind the wheel suffering from road rage is kind of silly...  I don't know anyone who has even said that someone has been clinically diagnosed as having "road rage".  Road rage is a behavior not a condition.  I have never every heard anyone claim a person who committed road rage was the victim.

I bet you also  believe that all people who are underwater with their mortgages were just stupid people who were trying to live beyond their means and the banks selling them adjustable rate mortgages at sub-prime rates had no responsibility for people over extending themselves by taking advantage of the housing market at the time.  And since it is almost a certainty that you are some kind of Tea Party Republican that you still believe that de-regulation of the banking industry didn't play a huge role in the housing market along with the overall recession that occurred as a result?

6. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 12 years ago

As a person who really has BiPolar I am annoyed with how the word is just tossed around at anyone with a bad attitude who likes to treat people like crap. I have suffered BiPolar almost my entire life. I am unmedicated by choice and I have never acted in a bad way toward my husband. Yet I have seen many people treat their spouse in a horrible way and then claim it was the Bipolar. I have a severe case that I know how to deal with because I have had it so long. Maybe that's why I don't act in these horrible ways I hear about. Maybe screaming at everyone and never owning your actions is Bipolar and I just have a different type. I won't pretend to be a doctor, but I will say I think a lot of these people that claim to really have a problem either have never been diagnosed or were diagnosed by an idiot! However in many cases someone can really do bad things and really have a problem. A mental illness does NOT make an offender a victim. It may make you look at why they became an offender and be able to answer the "Why did he do it" that every one asks when a crime is committed.

1. IDONO profile image59
      IDONOposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You are the person I feel bad for. You have a genuine condition but are being lumped into the same group with all the fakes. That was my point, not to be over-thought. A shortcoming is not our fault, but recovery from it is our responsibility. Thanks

7. Clive Donegal profile image67
    Clive Donegalposted 11 years ago

I think the division between societal labels and name-calling is a little blurred here. I don't know that one who exhibits "road rage" is considered a victim. It is only shorthand to describe a behavior that most of us have observed.
    similarly, I think that labeling a group as "idiots" denies that others might be experiencing pressures that we don't understand.
    There is significant difference between being moody and being bipolar.
    There is a huge difference between excuses and reasons.
    A peson who is bipolar for example, has no excuse if he chooses not to treat it, even though the illness is the reason for his behavior.
    The label that seems to be missing is "compassion."

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)