Is it possible to sell photographs online with stock site?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)
  1. moiponetsoka profile image63
    moiponetsokaposted 12 years ago

Is it possible to sell photographs online with stock site?

2. Derek Slark profile image80
    Derek Slarkposted 12 years ago

I have personal experience with the photo-stock site Fotolia; and out of 112 submitted images, I have had forty-three accepted. Of those forty-three, thirty-four have sold, some many times over; my top seller has sold 126 times. Some contributors have thousands of images with Fotolia. (For a link to Fotolia, see my Hubpage’s ‘Profile Page’)

Do not expect to be able to draw from your existing images and have them accepted. Have a look through their gallery, see what sells, look at number of ‘views’ compared to number of ‘downloads’. Even in the 'Best Sellers' gallery there are some images of relatively simple subjects. Read the forums and see what their contributors have to say.

To get started, look for an image that you feel you could achieve, think of a new angle on it, and take your shot. Fotolia, images need to be a minimum of 3.7MP, pin sharp focus, and no noise. To avoid being disillusioned by repeated rejections, you need to be very critical with your own work. Look at the free images; these are pictures that have not made the grade, but the photographer has allowed to be downloaded for free (though why anyone would agree to this is beyond me), this will give you an idea what not to submit. Do not worry about cropping; the purchaser of your image will do that to suit his or her requirements. I may add a bit of colour saturation and contrast to my images, but not too much as you do not want to introduce noise in the image (simply put, noise is a degradation of the image).

There are numerous other photo-stock sites that you can submit your photographs to, and which one is best will come down to your own personal preference. To compare sites, select similar photographs from a number of categories from each site and look at how many times they have been viewed, and how many times they have been downloaded (purchased). They also had different rules about what you can submit; for example, Fotolia do not except images containing brand names and logos, images of artwork and designs that have a copyright such as vehicles & patented household items; or photographs of buildings and people without a signed model release. Once you learn the rules though this is not a problem, you just learn to avoid certain subjects.

You can submit the same image to a number of photo-stock sites but they pay better for exclusivity. It’s a great feeling the first time you see one of your photographs in a publication, or used to illustrate a website, so have a go, and don't give up if at first you receive a rejection.

3. moiponetsoka profile image63
    moiponetsokaposted 12 years ago

wow thats a lot work but i will go for it and thanks a for input

4. MickS profile image60
    MickSposted 12 years ago

Yes.

1. moiponetsoka profile image63
      moiponetsokaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

may you please recommend me some sites which i can check out.

2. MickS profile image60
      MickSposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Your original question only required a yes or no answer.  Try fotolibra, I've sold stuff through them, or Photographers Direct, also sold stuff with them.

5. profile image0
    ghiblipgposted 11 years ago

I been years in stock photography. Although not generating a income that can support my life. But it is a good source of passive income. I been almost  a year not doing photography due to busy with my full time job. But the income stream is still there once you have a number of photos at your side.
    http://submit.shutterstock.com/?ref=171397
    You should try out your luck too. Keep up the spirit like in HubPages. Passive income is not too hard to earn.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)