Should you tell people when their hub is bad or has mistakes?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (19 posts)
  1. dalton71482 profile image60
    dalton71482posted 11 years ago

Should you tell people when their hub is bad or has mistakes?

I always ask at the bottom of my hubs for comments good or bad. And I have left some telling people that they've done things like used the word rod instead rode for instance. Or maybe that they could link different parts of the same story for easier reading. I've done so because it's what I'd want people to do for me. I just wonder if I'm right in doing so or not.

2. creamsoda profile image82
    creamsodaposted 11 years ago

I think if the critic is given nicely it would be helpful to have people give their opinions. I know I would appreciate it.

3. etower036 profile image61
    etower036posted 11 years ago

I for one would love for someone to give a fair critique of my hubs. I know hubpages strives to have good writers, well written hubs, and information people need. However, it is nice to have others read you work, and to give their opinion and maybe a suggestion on how to improve upon that hub or idea. So yes bring on the critiques, the more I can get, the better my hubs will become.

4. spartucusjones profile image91
    spartucusjonesposted 11 years ago

Personally I welcome any constructive feedback, and from time to time I've done the same for others.

That being said if a hub is extremely poorly written and has a number of mistakes I would generally flag it for quality and I wouldn't bother making any comments on it. But if I feel the hub has potential and could benefit from a couple of constructive suggestions, I have offer these. As long as these are given in a kindly manner, I don't see an issue. If anything most of us want to improve the quality of our hubs, and would appreciate any assistance in doing so.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
      DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've flagged one or two hubs for being of very inferior quality, mainly because there were so many structural, spelling, grammatical and misused words in a hub purporting to instruct "how to write good hubs." (sic)

5. drspaniel profile image83
    drspanielposted 11 years ago

Yes, as not only does it help them understand where they went wrong with their content, but it reinforces a structure for them to writing Hubs in the future. In my opinion, you more a bad person for not out-lining their faults, as they might not ever improve...

dalton71482posted 11 years agoin reply to this

"you more a bad person" or "you're more of a bad person" that's another thing I'm not just "the best writer ever"  so I have to hope that my criticism aren't a mistake on my behalf.

6. Hypersapien profile image44
    Hypersapienposted 11 years ago

I have no issue with receiving constructive feedback. I think it helps make me a better writer overall, in addition to helping the specific hub critiqued.

7. MarleneB profile image90
    MarleneBposted 11 years ago

I believe writers are the one group of people, as a whole, who crave feedback. We want our content to be strong and void of errors. So, yes; you should tell people when their hub is bad, but only offer objective criticism; anything more is just our own opinion. For instance, when I see people using the word "your" where the contraction of "you are" should be placed, I'm probably going to tell them. That is the kind of error I want people to tell me about. (And, yes, I ended a sentence in a preposition... so what are you going to do?) smile

8. Becky Katz profile image79
    Becky Katzposted 11 years ago

If I see a hub with a few typos and a spot which is hard to understand, I let them know. They may not realize it and usually fix it and thank me for pointing it out to them.
    If I see one with a lot of typos or structural problems, I will email the person and tell them that they need to go proof it. I will do harder critiques through email. This way they get the benefit without the possible embarrassment. They have emailed me thanking me for the help. I have never flagged a hub as inferior or voted one down. I will try my best to help fix it or make suggestions that will make them a better writer.

dalton71482posted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's a really good ideal. Thank you.

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
      DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Generally, if there are only one or two very minor typos, I won't say anything, but if a hub is full of glaring errors--I will send an e-mail contact, rather than risk embarassing them in public.

9. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

That is a tough one and normally I do not do it.  But recently I read two hubs, one by a US college student that misused several words and had horrible spelling.  So while I complimented the subject matter, I tried to gently mention the spelling and misused words.  Hope it didn't hurt any feelings.

I would want to know if I had typos I missed or a glaring error like using the word here instead of hear.  It might just be an oversight but looks bad as though the person is not well-educated.

10. Millionaire Tips profile image90
    Millionaire Tipsposted 11 years ago

I would love to get constructive criticism on my hubs.  I think a message would be better than on a comment, so that it isn't out there for the world to see that I made the mistake.  There are two rules I use when I provide criticism on a hub:

1.  Do it gently.  Be sure to also point out what I do well, so I can continue that in the future.  I've gotten criticism that sounds like the person is irate with me for making the mistake.  I don't think that is the way it was intended, but that is how the message read.

2.  Be sure you are right.  If it is simply a matter of preference, let them do it their way.  But if it is wrong, then it would be helpful for them to know.

11. profile image0
    kelleywardposted 11 years ago

I think if it is given in a way that also points out the strengths and is constructive then I would love for others to point out the weaknesses and or mistakes. In fact I've had two people comment on my typos and I was very grateful!

12. FatFreddysCat profile image92
    FatFreddysCatposted 11 years ago

If I notice a particularly glaring typographical or spelling error in a Hub (especially in the title) I'll leave a comment bringing it to the writer's attention. It could simply be that the person was in such a rush to get their Hub published and "out there" that they didn't proofread carefully. Lord knows I've had to go back and fix more than a few typos in my own hubs.

13. amithak50 profile image61
    amithak50posted 11 years ago

I would love this if someone tell me about my mistakes..yes, We need to tell them so that they can correct that

14. Gayatrirk3 profile image61
    Gayatrirk3posted 11 years ago

you must always tell people if they have done mistakes in their hub. pointing out mistakes is not bad infact it helps the person improve his hub and write better. smile

15. VirginiaLynne profile image92
    VirginiaLynneposted 11 years ago

Sometimes, if I have time and if I think it is a typo.  If the writing is just very poor overall, I usually ignore it.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)