Are you taking medication for clinical depression?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (11 posts)
  1. TheLifeExperiment profile image57
    TheLifeExperimentposted 11 years ago

Are you taking medication for clinical depression?

I am probably going to have to get prescribed for depression soon (it runs in the family and I've been experiencing many of the symptoms). Are you taking meds for depression? How have they helped you? Have they made your life better in ways other than making you feel less sad? (I know this is kind of a personal question, but I really would like to know).

2. Rev. Akins profile image70
    Rev. Akinsposted 11 years ago

I was on medication in my early 20's and it made me completely flat lined emotionally. I was not happy or sad, angry or anything. It helped me through the time, but when I got off the medicine it was VERY uncomfortable. I also had to re-learn how to "feel". It is scary being angry for the first time in over two years. It is just as scary to be happy. I am now on St John's Wart, which is an herbal suppliment that helps me. I still need to take care of myself with meditation, exercise, diet, and other people helping me through difficult times. My depression comes and goes, mainly in the winter months, but I still need family and friends to help me notice when I am becoming "flat"(the word we use in my family for beginning to get depressed).
    There are options out there, but sometimes you need the medicine to get everything in order before you can handle them yourself without meds. Taking meds can be okay, just do the research and be very careful about dosage and all that.

1. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image61
      Dubuquedogtrainerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Everyone reacts differently and it is important to get the right dose and consider drug-drug interactions as well as drug-food interactions, but the right medication can be a lifesaver and help restore a normal emotional status to people.

3. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image61
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 11 years ago

Many people take medication for depression and I personally believe that it is necessary in some cases. Depression is a life threatening illness. There are different types of depression, but clinical depression/major depression requires medication. Sometimes it is difficult to find the right one and there are side effects. Everyone is an individual and responds differently, so don't be discouraged if you try one medication and experience side effects. There are others. Sometimes a combination is needed. Important to know - it takes about 3-4 weeks for a therapeutic blood level to build up and for you to experience an effect. Yes, anti-depressants can make you feel less sad. They will also stabilize your mood so that even when you do feel sad, you will not be as sad and the sadness will not last as long. You will be mobilized to do the things you once enjoyed and experience a reduction in other symptoms as well. It is helpful to get counseling as well, especially when the medication starts to work so you can work through the things that are bothering you and learn new coping skills. I do not believe that medication alone is as effective as medication combined with psychotherapy/counseling. The medication helps lift your depression so you can think again and reason - so that the counseling can help you gain a better perspective. Counseling alone, especially in clinical depression doesn't work.

4. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

When I was a teen I took meds for Bipolar. Part of the treatment is treating depression that occurs when the highs finally end. I never found treatment to work. They never could find medication that was effective without making me a zombie. It was always too little or too much and no doctor seemed to find a good balance. I personally am against medication now as an adult because I think my years of medication took away my ability to have normal emotions which leads to other diagnosis. I am now a fully functional non medicated severe Bi Polar. I spent years reading everything I could, every self help book, online site, natural remedies, and retraining thoughts. I find it works much better and keeps me sane! However my route isn't for everyone. Being on medication is not a bad thing for everyone. Good Luck, I hope you are able to find something that helps, but remember it usually is not fixed with the first medicine they give you. It takes some time of tweeking dosage and brand usually.

1. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image61
      Dubuquedogtrainerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's too bad. Sometimes it takes a long time to find the right med! And these days there are better medications with fewer and less severe side effects. Proper medication management really requires the expertise of an experienced psychiatrist.

5. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

Yes, I presently take Medication for Clinical (Major) depression. I have been since 2005. Depression is estimated to affect 1 in 10 Americans. That's the one's who seek help. I'm sure the number is higher. I actually wrote a Hub about Clinical depression. There are many types of depression. Clinical being the worst. At times it is a struggle to get out of bed. Meds. do help. But, There is no magic pill that will cure it. The meds. will alleviate the depression. There are just so many factors involved. I really hope yours is not severe and the right medication will get you back on track. Good luck and God Bless!!

6. Faith Reaper profile image83
    Faith Reaperposted 11 years ago

No, I do not take any, but I have several family members who do, and some are better now than they were, and some are far worse, as the doctors just keep piling on the meds - more and more.  My doctor told me, if it's not clinical depression, one should only take it for a period of time, but most people think they have to take it forever, which is not the case if it is not clinical depression.  I am sorry you are feeling sad, and I will be praying for you.

1. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I definitely agree with you Faith Reaper. What I wouldn't give for a day when I'm just sad or have the blues. But Clinical depression is a whole different animal. The lowest point is what I call the "Dark". Very hard to explain. God Bless you!!

7. alexarpoe profile image61
    alexarpoeposted 11 years ago

I take six medications. I am diagnosed with Dysthymia and OCD, as well as dissociative symptoms. I have found that a combination of medication and personal psychotherapy has helped me tremendously.

8. Theresa036 profile image59
    Theresa036posted 6 years ago

Hello,
    I've struggled with depression for years. I took many antidepresants in my life and only with Celexa I've experienced less side effects. It's been approximately over three months since I've been taking the generic version Citalopram for my depression (ordered from http://generic-meds-store.com) and it works great....I have seen the change and effects in just three weeks of treatment. Now I feel normal for the first time in my life. I can understand how to deal with things in a constructive manner instead of crying for hours.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)