How do you stop a small dog from barking?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)
  1. TheLifeExperiment profile image59
    TheLifeExperimentposted 11 years ago

How do you stop a small dog from barking?

I live with a chihuahua (not my choice), and all she ever does it bark! Her real owner, who also lives with us, refuses to do anything about it. Do you know of any ways to humanely stop a dog from barking at every little thing?

2. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image62
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 11 years ago

It depends on why the dog is barking. Things I recommend for all of my clients, regardless of cause are proper training (with positive reinforcement - I prefer clicker training) for mental stimulation and to build confidence and sufficient exercise (minimum of a once daily walk OFF the property - 1/4 - 1/2 mile for every 10 pounds of body weight). The way to properly "punish" barking behavior is by ignoring it - giving the dog attention, even if just yelling at the dog does nothing and only reinforces the behavior. If the dog has any anxiety-related barking I recommend a product called the Calming Face Wrap (www.anxietywrap.com). It is an inexpensive elastic strap that fits over the dog's muzzle and behind its neck like a neck collar. I have seen it work wonders on dogs with anxiety-related barking! Also, make sure the dog has plenty of hard chew toys like Nylabones to chew on. You can also try some interactive dog toys such as food dispensing toys like the Kyjen products, e.g., the Star Puzzle (my personal favorite) and a peanut butter stuffed Kong. Praise the dog and give it treats when quiet. "Kikopup" has a good video series on barking on Youtube that you can watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp_l9C1yT1g

Maybe I should write a hub on this since it is a common question...

3. JayeWisdom profile image90
    JayeWisdomposted 11 years ago

Dubuquedogtrainer gave you such a thorough answer for addressing the barking issue (plus a link to more info) that I won't try to improve on that.

I would, however, like to ask you if perhaps you resent the dog's "real owner" more than you resent the dog's barking, but are directing your resentment toward the dog because that seems preferable to a confrontation about something else.

You make a point of stating that it's not your choice to live with the chihuahua, but mention that the owner "...also lives with us." Perhaps this extra housemate is the relative or friend of the other part of "us"--your other housemate (spouse? partner?) , whom I presume you do want to live with, but you feel constrained to allow the third party's presence rather than upset your relationship with the second.

I realize I may be reading something into your question that isn't there, but if I am right, I hope you'll address the main problem for your own peace of mind and happiness. Anytime one feels forced to live with a person not of their own choosing, resentment may occur. If the main issue is not confronted directly (albeit tactfully), that resentment may take over your life and spoil your relationship with the "second" party.

If you weren't accustomed to being around a small barky dog before this one moved in, I'm sure it's probably getting on your nerves, and I hope Dubuquedogtrainer's suggestions are helpful in that respect. If my intuition was working properly when I read your full question, I also hope you'll take steps to address the underlying issue, even if it requires getting counseling to cope and be comfortable with a living arrangement you may not like.

If, on the other hand, I was dead wrong, please accept my apology and consider me "butting out."

Whatever the case, good luck!

4. NetBlots profile image41
    NetBlotsposted 11 years ago

With a chihuaha you say? I think you can kiss that idea good bye then wink hehe

1. NetBlots profile image41
      NetBlotsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You could always try a bark collar too, they work WONDERS!

2. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image62
      Dubuquedogtrainerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If you're referring to a shock collar ("e" for electricity collar) the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior, the American College of Animal Behaviorists and the vast majority of other reputable professionals advise against shock collar trai

5. mary615 profile image83
    mary615posted 11 years ago

Try squirting a little water from a spray bottle on the dog's nose.  The owner may not like this, though.  It worked for my and my little barker.  Now, when she barks for no reason all I have to say is "want to get squirted?" and she stops.

1. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image62
      Dubuquedogtrainerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I used the squirt bottle method years ago before I knew about behavior change through positive reinforcement training. I would only need to say, "I'm going to get the squirt gun." It worked, but not the most effective way to change behavior.

6. LiamBean profile image79
    LiamBeanposted 11 years ago

The owner is the problem. If you live in California you can evict this person because they (the owner and his/her pet) are a nuisance. California law says an eviction over nuisance has no recourse, in other words, this is not something that can be negotiated away.

The squirt bottle method is effective, but I only recommend it for habitual barkers.

There is also the "bark collar" which delivers a progressive shock (up to five or six) to the dog if it barks repeatedly in the course of half an hour. The advantage here is the collar is doing the punishing and no human can be singled out by the dog as the source. This does two things; it prevents the dog from acting differently with different humans (they are smart about that) and it DOES NOT HURT the dog.

Finally, you could just get rid of the owner.

Too bad laws don't require the owners to go through training instead of their pets.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)