Why worry about following particular religions instead of simply following what

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (19 posts)
  1. cherriquinn profile image74
    cherriquinnposted 11 years ago

Why worry about following particular religions instead of simply following what we know to be right?

I feel that so much of time is spent worrying about what religion practises what, which religion is true,which is more valid and so on and so forth. We understand what good values are in life and if we decide  to follow them then surely that is what is important ?

2. MilesArmbruster profile image61
    MilesArmbrusterposted 11 years ago

In most religions the desire to do what is right is the result of the deeper spiritual reality. In Buddhism, the eight fold path is the set of directives to do what is right. But the reason a person follows the eight fold path is to free themselves from suffering, which Buddha identified as the central problem of man. In Judaism the point of obedience to, for example, the Ten Commandments was so that they could have a relationship with God. In Christianity obedience is both a demonstration of faith in Jesus and an act of gratitude for being saved by Him. Hinduism, through its belief in karma, makes obedience the way to deliverance from samsara; and a person's future reincarnations are determined by whether they do what is right or wrong.
    I am glad that most people follow some form of religion. The alternative is for everyone to determine what good values are according to, well, no reason, really. If everyone is free to determine right and wrong, we are in trouble. After all, Hitler thought it was right to kill Jews, and he convinced an awful lot of people that his view of right and wrong was worth following. After viewing history and the people I know, I have no reason to believe that people, on their own, will do what is right.

3. nihar2 profile image59
    nihar2posted 11 years ago

I believe the basic idea of every religion is to make people aware of 'the creator' i.e. GOD, and let everybody know what is a truthful way and what all bad things that should be avoided in life. Every religion talks about this and therefore there is difference only in various customs and traditions of a religion. If by changing religion someone feels near to GOD and find peace in life, then there is nothing wrong in it. But in my view there is no such thing as good or bad religion.

cherriquinnposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thankyou for your simplistic comment. I agree.

2. ackman1465 profile image59
      ackman1465posted 11 years agoin reply to this

nihar:  Your submittal infers ("insists" or "claims") that there IS "a creator"... What I disdain about religion(s) is that they postulate the existence of that "Creator" regardless of whether or not there is any evidence of him/her/it.....

4. cherriquinn profile image74
    cherriquinnposted 11 years ago

MilesArmbruster, Of course you are right in pointing out that if everyone did what they thought was right we'd be in trouble. I just sometimes feel we make faith/religion/beliefs very complicated when I think all we need to realize is our relationship with God. If we have one then surely all the rituals, tradition etc are irrelevant.Our lives should be evident of this. I suppose I probably look at life simpler than most at times and although I advocate differences I'm sometimes guilty of forgetting just how deep those differences can be. What I feel is right may not be what another feels. I do though believe that there will always be people who have extreme views of right and wrong ie hitler, but I have faith that the majority of us accept and recognize goodness in the deeds and lives of others and wonder why this isn't sometimes enough.

5. Civil War Bob profile image61
    Civil War Bobposted 11 years ago

The worry part is about where one spends eternity, Cherri...
    If Christians are right, the rest of the world is skunked. 
    If Jews are right, I'm not sure what they feel will happen in the afterlife, since some follow the Saducees' thinking that there is none. 
    If Islam is right, then the rest of the world is skunked.
    If Buddhism is right, then everybody is skunked thousands of times until the end is reached; which I think is oblivion, but don't quote me.
    If Universalists are right, then nobody is skunked.
    If Atheists are right, everyone is skunked now.
    So, there are a lot of caring people "out there" (a lot of jerks, too) who really don't want everyone else to be skunked, so they proselytize folks seeking conversions, not, in most cases to "get scalps" so to speak, but to keep folks from, well, being skunked!! wink

Hi there CWB again. I actually understand what you are saying after reading your comments about roughly five times! I get it. But I wonder about those who proselytize to get a following. Why do they have so many fears about who is right?

2. Civil War Bob profile image61
      Civil War Bobposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Some who proselytize just want to accumulate followers. Some have a need to be the MOST followed, so have to get people to ignore other "leaders;" which means they have to be negative about others. Some folks just HAVE to be right...human nature.

6. mintinfo profile image63
    mintinfoposted 11 years ago

Doing that which is right and practicing altruistic living is seen as un progressive. It didn't get the Indians or the Africans anywhere. Progressive human consciousness needs the idealism of religion. By creating a MYSTERY where people strive for inclusion, the prospect of an eternal life of pleasure provides a sense of purpose rather than just living, especially for the less fortunate.

I agree we've an insatiable desire for more as humans.If we put that energy into improving daily living for others then it may not seem unprogressive and those less fortunate would not have to look forward to eternal life for pleasure but live this 1

7. ryancarter profile image60
    ryancarterposted 11 years ago

I don't care a thing for religions. I know what I believe is the truth; my good values come from convictions. I wouldn't trust popular culture's take on good values, though. It's been a bit eroded here lately.

ptosis cont..will ever stop learning in life but I do not feel that I need to be educated further on how to treat others. My maturity,my upbringing,my conscience,my KNOWING what is right and wrong and my faith have all hopefully taught and (con below

8. ptosis profile image67
    ptosisposted 11 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6614922_f260.jpg

How do you get to the point that "we KNOW that we are RIGHT?" Are you telling me that you read and understand as a adult the same way as when you were 7?

"Knowing" means no evolution of belief or understanding.

That is what is meant by "If you meet Bhudda on the road - kill him!" because the road to understanding is never ending. Whatever your conception is -  it is not perfect understanding.

Thanks for you comments. I'd like to say 'no' I don't read and understand as an adult the same way I did when I was 7. But I was speaking from an adult stance and from that I do KNOW what is right and wrong. I did not state that I..(cont caps below)

9. ackman1465 profile image59
    ackman1465posted 11 years ago

Cherri:   This is a terrific question....  beautifully stated.  I'm following it so I can watch the replies that you get.... and watch those who are "in" to religion justify it and themselves.....

P.S.  I'm not very good at what I "know" to be right.... but I try....

ptosis cont.guided me up until this point in my life.I do not feel the need for religious rituals to teach me what I already KNOW.

ackman. Thanks for following.Had to use your capsule to answer above comment. I think we all try to do our best.

10. Darrell Roberts profile image72
    Darrell Robertsposted 11 years ago

I am with you for the most part.  I think that people shuold focus more on being kmore peaceful, compassionate, understanding, generous, loving, caring etc, instead of worring who believes in what religion.  My experience tells me that it it not the religion that makes a person good, it is their actions, in public and behind closed doors. 

Values are different among different people so what "good values" are may vary slightly.  I will admit that religion is a great way to bring people together to accomplich great things together as a group.   The reason is if GOd was really at the center and people checked their egos then we could have religion work really nicely in the society. 

At present religions are making barriers rather than brining people together because of how the different religions have evolved over time. People at focusing too much on the differences instead of the main points. 

Best wishes

Thankyou Darrell.I think that people should focus and recognize the good in others instead of the differences I feel we create barriers by looking for things we ourselves do not agree with. What a waste of energy that could be used for the good

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)