Is Hubpages a breeding ground for great poets or a place for back-slapping amate

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Tallgardener profile image60
    Tallgardenerposted 11 years ago

Is Hubpages a breeding ground for great poets or a place for back-slapping amateurs?

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

I think it is both. There are/were some very excellent poets on Hubpages, but there are also some hacks smile

3. profile image0
    SJmorningsun25posted 11 years ago

I agree with Uninvited Writer--but I think it extends to all kinds of writing (fiction, nonfiction, and so forth). There's some great stuff here, but also a fair share of pretty bad quality writing.

4. AudreyHowitt profile image79
    AudreyHowittposted 11 years ago

That is a really great question. We all have the tendency to commend each other profusely. I like to think that we are all working toward becoming better writers and I like to encourage that in myself and others. Is that a positive frame around a sensitive issue?

1. xstatic profile image60
      xstaticposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Audrey here. There are people who have written and studied poetry for a long time and there are people barely exposed to poetry wrting on HP. People need encouragement and even constructive criticism can seem presumptious to both.

5. Tallgardener profile image60
    Tallgardenerposted 11 years ago

It's a difficult question for me to answer. I read a lot of poetry on here but very rarely comment. My problem is that there is so much clumsy, ill-thought out verse that seems to elicit feedback filled with superlatives, and there is rarely any advice given about how they can improve upon their offerings.

I once gave advice to a poet on here about how they could make their poem better, and she and her followers quickly rounded on me and gave me a hard time for daring to suggest that she wasn't quite the finished article.

So, I stay quiet. But, I have found some poetry that I think is very good, although it is getting harder to find. Audrey Howitt is the best poet on here by a country mile.

1. AudreyHowitt profile image79
      AudreyHowittposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for the compliment. I belong to a number of poetry forums, and I have to really work at my poetry to feel competent in almost all of them. I would like to see more constructive comments given here, but people are sensitive, me included--

2. nochance profile image89
      nochanceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've had the same problem. I'm a creative writing student so I'm used to workshop feedback. The author can ignore me if they want but it would be nice if they would at least take the comment into consideration.

6. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years ago

I used to write a lot of poetry--years ago--before there was any such thing as Hub Pages.
    I will be the first to admit that any attempts of mine at traditional poetry sound forced, and yes, like they were written by a "hack" or a grade-school child.  The rhyme-and-meter format does not come easily to me.
    Instead, I write in free, (also called blank) verse, which does not rhyme, but paints word pictures with poetic prose. 
    We poets can be a sensitive (even over-sensitive) lot.  I recall once in a college creative writing class, having a teacher suggest I alter this,that and the other word and phrasing.  I complained that those were not MY words, nor my style, and that making those changes would make it HIS poem, not mine.  For a final reply, I submitted the following statement in writing:
    "I work long and hard to birth my poems; who would edit them dismembers my children."
    It is a sentiment held by many poets, albeit seldom expressed with such a harshly graphic metaphor.  But it got my point across with unmistakable clarity.

7. A C Nortal profile image61
    A C Nortalposted 11 years ago

It depends on who you're reading! If you're reading my hubs, probably back-slapping amateurs, but I've read some awesome hubs lately which are insightful and interesting. Just have to weed through the amateurs wink

8. feenix profile image57
    feenixposted 11 years ago

In my opinion, there is no such thing as amateur writers or poets. Anyone who publishes his/her literary works for all to see is a professional. 

It is just that some of those professionals are quite good at what they do while others are not, or else the "beauty" or "lack of beauty" of their works is in the eyes of the beholders.

9. Jewels profile image83
    Jewelsposted 11 years ago

My poetry (on here) is quite personal and written after having extraordinary experiences.  I remember when I first published a poem and how vulnerable I felt as to whether someone else would like it, or even get what I was saying.  I'm thankful I got positive feedback.  There was one commentor who asked whether it was my work!  That was interesting, I think she thought I'd copied it off something.  I think that too was a compliment.  Some of the feedback I got was constructive, and given by other more experienced writers.  I was greatful for that also.

The answer would be both, and perhaps it depends on taste.  Like wine and art, is poetry a matter of taste?  By the way, I have read some of yours, I like it.

10. profile image0
    Gypsy Rose Leeposted 11 years ago

I don't consider myself a great poet by any means. However I do like expressing my thoughts and sharing them with others and appreciate it if they like it. There are many others who write astounding poetry and I am awed by it. Of course there are those who keep trying but fall a bit short. HubPages is a great place to express one's creativity and to get some much needed feedback and encouragement. I think there is potential for everyone.

11. cruelkindness profile image62
    cruelkindnessposted 11 years ago

I'm with you tallgardener based on your comment. 
    People jotting down exactly what their thoughts are without thinking of the others feelings makes life so much more interesting.  I guess a mutual agreement should be made before the comment is made.  I'll go first...

"Feel free to speak freely on anything I post as long as I can speak freely in return with no emotions or feelings involved, I will always accept comments knowing their is "no intention of insult" attached.   Lets leave our insecurity's at the baby sitter. Cause I really do want to know if i suck, don't want to be another American Idol Reject."

"Thank you for this question"

By the way....

"I suck at punctuation, grammar, and I have the tendency to confuse people"

Cruelkindness (Subliminally Thoughtless)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)