My pc has a strange problem - copy/paste isn't working correctly....any ideas?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (12 posts)
  1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 11 years ago

My pc has a strange problem - copy/paste isn't working correctly....any ideas?

I always use the mouse, and right clicks to copy and paste something - but all of a sudden, it has got to where I might have to do it all....ten times for a copy and paste to actually happen.

I'd thought that maybe my mouse was messed up, but that isn't it, all my "mice" respond the same - so it must be the computer, but disk check and tune up software have yet to fix the problem.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6636825_f260.jpg

2. dmop profile image82
    dmopposted 11 years ago

Here is a link to a forum with some ideas you might try.   http://social.technet.microsoft.com/For … 6ce971f58f    Thank God my copy and paste is working that's a long URL.

3. profile image0
    AndriyRposted 11 years ago

Have you tried Keyboard Shortcuts (Ctrl+C for copying, Ctrl+V for pasting)? - if using keyboard the problem is solved - the issue can be with a mouse. If the keyboard shortcuts also don't work - the problem must be in software.

4. Mr Nice profile image77
    Mr Niceposted 11 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6637465_f260.jpg

Your computers copy/paste isn't working because it might be infected with some kind of virus. You to try different virus scan programs to find the problem and fix it.

Try to restore it to a previous settings, don't worry you can always undo the restore.

If that does not work then try the following anti virus freewares. Good luck

Here are some suggested Anti virus freewares..........
    Avg, Malware bytes, Hijack this, Avast and many more.

http://download.cnet.com/windows/

5. justom profile image59
    justomposted 11 years ago

Todd, like the other guy said use your keyboard (Control C=Copy-Control V-Paste)

6. profile image0
    whowasposted 11 years ago

I can't help you get to the roots of the problem Wes, but to keep you going in the meantime, I always use the key functions Ctrl+C for copying and then Ctrl+V to paste. I find it quicker than messin' with the mouse. Hope that helps.

7. leakeem profile image81
    leakeemposted 11 years ago

I'd suggest the same things they say. Also try to check the mouse in the control pannel. See if there's any weird setting. scan your pc for viruses and if all else fails, you can system restore to a date where the copy paste mouse function still works or you can reinstall windows.

8. Austinstar profile image84
    Austinstarposted 11 years ago

Find your computer settings and increase the size of the clipboard memory. I've been looking, but you know it's one of those things that you really have to hunt for.
    Clearing your cache or doing a disk cleanup might help too.

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You know what???  I think I recall reducing that for some dumb reason....I think that is the problem....now I've got to figure out how to get back to that setting.

9. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 11 years ago

I use the mouse and I had this problem before. I was able to solve it with a shutdown and restart. It happened later and after some checking, I found I was putting too much demand on my computer memory. I was able to update the memory and I make sure I do not have excessive startup programs popping up when I start my computer. If the keyboard shortcuts work, you may just have a bad mouse. You can try cleaning it, plugging it into another port (assuming it is an USB) or try another mouse.

10. profile image0
    DoItForHerposted 11 years ago

Get a Mac. Lol

You are freaking me out; let us know what happens

11. leroy64 profile image63
    leroy64posted 11 years ago

I reboot when that happens; and, if that does not work, I run a scan with Norton Antivirus.  I usually find that tracking cookies are screwing things up.  Norton removes them for me.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)