How often do you work out?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Virtuous1 profile image60
    Virtuous1posted 11 years ago

How often do you work out?

Two days in a row now I have used the elliptical machine and the only reason is because while I was at the gym the one lady was on it yesterday and I asked her how many calories do you burn she told me she burns 700 a day. She's on it for one hour I told her I can't do that for an hour see I find this machine to weird and hard but I did manage to do it 10 mins. yesterday 15 today and first day I lost 100 calories and today I lost 140 calories. Sounds like I have to add to it each day.  So tell me do you use this machine.

2. Midlife Magic profile image59
    Midlife Magicposted 11 years ago

I work out about five times a week.  Throughout my working out timeline, I have been a runner, a weightlifting queen, a swimmer, a yoga fan and yes sometimes the elliptical.

This is what I know about working out for me.  If I like what I am doing, and that varies over time, then I keep exercising.  As soon as a sport is a chore, I stop exercising altogether, until I find my new thing.

It turns out they all work in different ways and by now, just feeling good and getting my heart rate up for an hour a day is the goal.  No matter what I choose to do.

1. cat on a soapbox profile image95
      cat on a soapboxposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good for you! I used to love free weight training and gym workouts, but after 2 hip replacements and advancing age, I've had to take the stress off my joints.  Now I target age appropriate cardio, core strength, balance, and flexibility.

3. CyclingFitness profile image92
    CyclingFitnessposted 11 years ago

I've always found elliptical machines a strange and almost forced movement. But if it works for you go for it!

Just because someone else does something it doesn't mean you should do it. An hour on an elliptical machine is a lot- especially as hogging a gym machine is a bit of a faux pas to many!

Vary your cardio and free weight exercises for variety and find what you enjoy.

I exercise 5-6 times a week minimum but my emphasis is on endurance performance. My sessions are mainly on bicycle and can last from 50 mins to over 5 hours but are specifically tailored to race performance.

Virtuous1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I really like your answer I don't like the elliptical machine to huge and it does not seem to work for me

2. CyclingFitness profile image92
      CyclingFitnessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks virtuous1. Success in fitness is abut getting a routine that works for you. Keep trying the other machines to see which works for you. Or simply do every cardio machine for a shortish period.

For many the gym is a gateway to other things

4. Virtuous1 profile image60
    Virtuous1posted 11 years ago

to cycel fitness what I have found to work for me is using the bicycle and treadmill now I just started two weeks ago running on the treadmill. And adding weights to my workout, but my frustration is this I am loosing inches but the weight is still the same when I get on the scale now to me that makes no sense at all. I've even talked to my doctor about and she said what it appears to be happening is that your fat is turning into muscle but you are fit give it some time and don't worry about the scales.

My husband says the same thing I notice how much I have slender down I just want to see the scales drop down in weight, if my muscle is putting the weight on me than I am going to have to find another workout program of exercise for me..as you mention I have to get that cardio in everyday, my doctor already told me that and that I do...if you have any suggested I could use it...

5. James_Partin profile image62
    James_Partinposted 11 years ago

Usually 3 times a week, whether, hiking, swimming, free weights or combination.

6. Kris Heeter profile image71
    Kris Heeterposted 11 years ago

While I do not use an elliptical, I teach cardio aerobics (Jazzercise) and strength training 1-3 hours a day as an instructor, six to seven days a week.   For as hard as I workout as an instructor, burning 700 calories in an hour for even someone that works as intense as I do would be very rare. 

Burning 350 to 600 calories with most cardio workouts (running, cycling, swimming, and things like an elliptical) is more reasonable in a hour.   It is all going to depend upon how fit an individual is in the first place, age, metabolism, etc.  No two people will burn calories the same even if they are doing the same exercise.   And as someone becomes more fit, the efficiency of burning calories in a given time span will change.

Also keep in mind that the read-out on those machines or any fitness monitor are strictly estimates and with any machine they can sometimes be really off.  I had a woman once wearing a monitor in my class and the monitor estimated she was burning over 1100 calories an hour - that was way off.  I had to break the news to her that it was just not physically possible for her to burn that many in an hour.

7. James McCullough profile image66
    James McCulloughposted 11 years ago

I try to workout with weights 4-5 times a week, but try to do some form of exercise every day. Don't be discouraged if you can only last 10-15 minutes the first few weeks you exercise. You have to build up your cardiovascular system so your heart can handle the workload. I would also suggest doing some weight training in addition to the cardio workouts. Also pay attention to your diet as it accounts for a huge portion of your overall health.

8. kjrzeek1 profile image56
    kjrzeek1posted 11 years ago

If you really want to change you physical appearance you have to commit to 6 days a week.  The best way to start is 3 on 1 off 3 on.  The intensity of the workout is the key.  If you are working out and your intensity is to low, you are wasting your time.  I burned 1277 calories in 52 minutes doing a cross training workout.  Intensity is the key to success.

9. profile image0
    Jade0215posted 11 years ago

I don't really work out too much just because it's hard to do with my daughter plus the heat just kills me but I do try and do at least 50 sit ups a day. It's not much but it helps!

Virtuous1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

every little helps you can do more than me I am at 10 they hurt my back does your back hurt when you do it?

10. cat on a soapbox profile image95
    cat on a soapboxposted 11 years ago

Twice a week (pilates and pool aerobics)  w/ walking and gardening in between.

11. ChitrangadaSharan profile image92
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 11 years ago

Important thing is to be regular and consistent. You may follow any fitness routine of your choice. At the end of it, you must feel relaxed, lighter and full of energy. The purpose of fitness exercises is to make you fit and not to tire you. My preference is early morning walks in fresh air followed by yoga. Evenings walks are very good, provided you get time for it.

12. Gregoryy profile image59
    Gregoryyposted 11 years ago

I exercise almost every week day. Working out is like brushing your teeth or washing your hands it is something that needs to be done. I do not need use the eliptical as it is not that effective compared to other workouts. You do not need to do cardio every day for an hour to loose weight. Doing sub 30 minutes of higher intensity cardio may be better for both lean tissue devlopment, and fat loss, and save you time.  10 sprints up a 30 yard hill burns as many calories as 45 minutes jogging on a treadmill maybe even more.

First of all the calorie counts on exercise machines are not always reliable. Just stick to keeping your diet 70% fruits, vegis, and 100% whole grains. The other 30% should be Lean Meats, Fish, Un Salted Nuts, Beans, and even Dairy, Read food labels, often the less ingredients that you do not understand on that label the better. Cut out most of the artificial foods, and you will probably loose a good amount of weight.

The treadmill has been proven to burn more calories per hour than any other piece of exercise equitment at the gym. Honestly the treadmill is not even the best way to burn calories. If I want a good cardio workout I peddal on the stationary bike at the highest restistance as fast as possible for around 12 minutes, 25 hill sprints, 300 dips, or doggy paddle across a swimming pool as fast as possible 5 times.  These provide resistance as well as a high intensity cardio workout. When you feel the burn in your muscles it means lactic acid is produced with causes your body to release certain hormones that make the mettabolism faster, and burn fat for longer.

Lift weights as well to increase certain hormones that burn body fat, and you will become stronger, with higher lean tissue to fat/adipose tissue ratios as well. Stick to the Deadlift, Sqaut, Overhead Press, Bench Press, Leg Press, Dips, and Pull Ups these are the only workouts you need to gain muscle/ more lean tissue. If you get stronger in those workouts, you will gain more muscle/ lean tissue.

One more important thing loosing weight is not always the important thing. Rather loosing body fat. You can be either 110 pounds of higher adipose tissue, or 130 pounds of mainly lean tissue. Ask your doctor more on measuring your body fat%. Good Luck.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)