Which event or events made of you feel proud of your country?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (35 posts)
  1. sonison profile image60
    sonisonposted 11 years ago

Which event or events made of you feel proud of your country?

Everybody is proud of their country and countrymen. So there are the moments when you have tears in your eyes out of pride and honour for your country. So let's share.

2. krsharp05 profile image74
    krsharp05posted 11 years ago

The feeling of unity during the days and weeks after 9/11.  I remember seeing an American flag on every window and in every yard. All racial lines seemed irrelevant, all biases seemed unimportant.

1. Express10 profile image85
      Express10posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I completely agree. Whenever I think about it though, I wish that we could still have that same solidarity. Great answer.

2. Eve Mitchell profile image60
      Eve Mitchellposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's a shame we need a tragedy to behave that way.  I remember that too, and I wish we, as a people, could be that willingly unified all the time.

3. SportsBetter profile image61
      SportsBetterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think it was on purpose.  An attack on the US would bring all the people together and attack who was responsible. The government used this unity to go into many countries that didn't harm us. Everything in politics is planned.

4. sonison profile image60
      sonisonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi krsharp, thanks for the reply. I must say in such a tragic event; racial, economic or all other barriers are too small to stop  countrymen from saving their fellow contrymen and stand united

3. JKenny profile image89
    JKennyposted 11 years ago

As a Brit, I tend to feel proud whenever I hear stories of how the people pulled together during the Second World War, particularly during the Blitz. I also feel proud whenever I read about Dunkirk or the Battle of Britain. I also felt proud when many people decided that they were going to continue using public transport in London in the aftermath of the 7/7 bombings. A remarkable sign of courage and fortitude.

1. burning bush profile image72
      burning bushposted 11 years agoin reply to this

WWII was indeed Britain's finest hour. As an American I think we should remember the unity, resolve, and bravery of all who withstood the Blitz and who fought for the freedom that all on both sides of the pond enjoy. Freedom isn't free.

2. sonison profile image60

Hi Jkenny, thanks for your reply . People decisions (using public transport) make country stronger. I wish you and your country good luck in hosting Olympics

4. iamageniuster profile image64
    iamageniusterposted 11 years ago

The Declaration of Independence, The U.S. Constitution, and winning the Revolutionary War.

Hi iamageniuster, Thanks for the reply and i agree that these events can make a country strong and citizens proud.

5. My Esoteric profile image87
    My Esotericposted 11 years ago

The Declaration of Independence, the U.S Constitution, the 13th, 14th, 15th, and 19th  Amendendments, refriending and rebuilding of Japan and Germany/Europe after WW II.

Thanks My Esoteric, your experience has provided good insights.

6. KK Trainor profile image60
    KK Trainorposted 11 years ago

Whenever I see or read a story about in immigrant fighting their way through the red tape to become a citizen, starting a business or just finding a decent job, and becoming the epitome of the American dream.
    Whether they become rich or not, they're the most patriotic citizens in our country because they know what it's like not to have the things we take for granted. And they will raise their children to love this country and make the most of it, rarely if ever relying on govt assistance.
    It's inspiring and it always chokes me up.

Hi KK Trainor, it is good to see how people go foreign places but still have their country in their hearts. Thanks for reply

7. tmbridgeland profile image79
    tmbridgelandposted 11 years ago

Strangely, and in a very conflicted way, the Iraq war. I wasn't proud of our political class, didn't think the war was necessary, and despise the people who voted for the war and then whined about every detail. But the amazing professionalism, heroism and skill of the military just astounded me. They made a lot of mistakes and did some bad things too, but over all, as far as any war can be done right, they did it.

Hi tmbridgeland, thanks for the reply. I will agree that army of a country and especially soldiers are the protector of country's security and we should all be proud of it. Good reply.

8. Cat R profile image69
    Cat Rposted 11 years ago

If I were to name a single event, I would have to say 9-11. It was amazing to see how people came together from all over the country to help.

But I would be much more proud if we as a country would come together and do something about some of the major issues we have currently and daily in our own backyards!

Hi Cat R, Thanks for the reply. The aftershocks of such a tragic event can surely be overcome by courage and support of the people. I am sure day-to-day issues can also be resolved quickly.

9. wetbaknproud profile image65
    wetbaknproudposted 11 years ago

since i have two countries i will give you two answers in no particular order of importance:the day Barack Hussein Obama was elected president of the United States,Which I didn't even believe was possible  even though I worked for his campaign and fully supported him.And the day Uruguay came out fourth in the world cup an almost unbelievable sport feat with which we have dreamed for many years.

Hi wetbaknproud, very well said. Some unbelievable feats surely generate the sense of patriotism. Good reply

10. Eve Mitchell profile image60
    Eve Mitchellposted 11 years ago

I often feel this when I see someone at the airport walk up to a soldier and shake their hand.  It's something I've done myself, however when I see other people do it, particularly when they're obviously strangers, it gives me pride in my fellow Americans for their ability to honor and thank those who risk their lives for our country. 

I've also seen the airline crews, firefighters, police officers, and other employees on the tarmac stand quietly, at attention, as a service member who lost their life is brought off a plane to be taken for burial by their grieving families.  This too, the ability to honor someone we've never met, for their sacrifice, gives me pride in my fellow countrymen.

Hi Eve Mitchell, Soldiers are by far the protector of a country's peace and they are the people who are awake in night so that their countrymen can sleep peacefully. Good reply.

11. my_girl_sara profile image76
    my_girl_saraposted 11 years ago

Every 4th of July as I see parades, fireworks, flags, and respect for our military. We DO live in the greatest nation in the world! Let's not bankrupt it or put it down. If you disagree, then I suggest you go the way of the Facebook exec and give up your citizenship. There's a line a mile long of immigrants who would LOVE to take your place!!

Hi 85my_girl_sara, thanks for your reply that is really good.

12. burning bush profile image72
    burning bushposted 11 years ago

I take pride that my staunchly conservative, religiously extreme, slightly annoying neighbour and I can live next door enjoying one another's company as well as a highly opinionated discussion, without coming to blows. Notably I am an independent, atheistic, not so annoying, complete opposite of my neighbour. Only in America.

I am not so proud of my elected officials who's only interest seems to be to serve their own. They ignore their elected purpose and have also chosen to ignore civility of discourse. Sad that pride of statemanship has become a thing of the past for our polliticians. At least, we the people, are doing our best to remain united.

Having spent the majority of my formative years living in other countries I say without hesitation that the United States is without queston the best place to call home. That makes me proud despite all our shortcomings.

Hi burning bush. Good reply and thanks for the same.

13. qeyler profile image61
    qeylerposted 11 years ago

When we took the pitch in France in 1998; don't think there was a single Jamaican that wasn't standing when the anthem played.

Then at the 2008 Olympics when Usain won....

Hi qeyler, sportsperson and soldiers are the people who bring glory to the country. I am in complete agreement with you. Thanks for reply

14. swordsbane profile image60
    swordsbaneposted 11 years ago

During the days and weeks following 9/11 we saw the best that this country is capable of.  The courage and selflessness that average Americans showed in the face of danger, tragedy and despair was overwhelming and filled me with a pride I have never felt in my entire life.

It almost made up for the bigotry, hate, racism, tyranny, injustice, paranoia and discrimination we have demonstrated against Muslims and against our own people since then..... almost....

Crisis brings out the best in us, but it also brings out our worst.

1. KK Trainor profile image60
      KK Trainorposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wow, I guess there was no justification for all that hate right after 9/11 huh?

2. swordsbane profile image60
      swordsbaneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's interesting that you focus on that.  Iraq is a shambles because of what we because of fear and hate.  We do a lot of evil in the name of "protecting our country".  The Patriot Act, new TSA rules, the Military Commissions Act?  Sound familiar?

3. KK Trainor profile image60
      KK Trainorposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well I guess if you consider any of those 'evil', then you must be pretty ashamed of us. I just don't agree with you, but that's the beauty of this great country right?

4. swordsbane profile image60
      swordsbaneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Except there was a time there after 9/11 where the word "traitor" was becoming synonymous with "people who don't agree with those in power".

Like I said; the best AND the worst of us.

Hopefully, that's all behind us.

5. sonison profile image60

Hi 88swordsbane, I liked the last line of your reply "Crisis brings out the best in us, but it also brings out our worst" and that is true for every country whose innocent people are attacked for no reason. Thanks for the reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)