Tea, milk in first or last?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)
  1. Derek Slark profile image79
    Derek Slarkposted 11 years ago

Tea, milk in first or last?

Originally, when cups were made of soft porcelain the milk would be poured in first to prevent the boiling water from cracking the cup, but now that they are made from hard porcelain or bone china it no longer matters, yet people still have their preferences.

When making a cup of tea do you pour the milk in first or last, and why?

2. Attikos profile image83
    Attikosposted 11 years ago

Always first, because the tea then mixes it evenly so you don't get little bits of curd.

3. chef-de-jour profile image96
    chef-de-jourposted 11 years ago

Milk first. It is actually against the law in Yorkshire, England to pour tea straight into a cup. You can be fined up to 80£ for a first offence and if you're a continual offender sent to prison for 6 weeks.
    There is a chemical advantage to having milk in the cup first. As you pour you can see the tea turn from a pure peaty colour into a thoroughly blended non curdly caramel brown. All the fats present in the milk are dissolved and the flavours of both blended. The marriage of milk and tea is thus consummated. Pouring milk into tea can leave the fats only partially dissolved which leads to disaster for the palate and taste buds.
    Stirring with a teaspoon is desirable to fully blend both milk and tea. Never add sugar. And always dunk biscuits.
    Thanks for the question.

1. Marisaupa profile image75
      Marisaupaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

As much as I have tried, I am just not able to find tea without sugar palatable. I only put one sugar cube per cup.  Any more than that and it becomes too sweet.

4. Marisaupa profile image75
    Marisaupaposted 11 years ago

I was led to believe that the milk first or milk second debate was more an issue of upbringing and organic to social class.  Standard middle class habits tended to dictate that the milk be poured first.  This could have been due to the use of china of moderate quality and its reduced resistance to staining when the tea was poured in first.  It also could have been due to an attempt to distance themselves from the lower class habits of using non-porcelain based cups, tins, etc. which were not susceptible to cracks or stains and so the tea was poured first.

Established middle class and upper class traditions would call for a milk second approach.  Ironically, the same order as the lower classes, although the reasons were different.  The quality of china present in these wealthier households would have been more resistant to staining and therefore not adverse to tea first.

As far as the theory that 'milk first' originated when cups were made of soft porcelain; I believe that has been discounted.  Any household that was using porcelain cups would have been serving tea from a teapot.  After allowing for normal steeping times, although still quite hot, the water would no longer be at a temperature that would threaten even soft porcelain.  The theory was first postulated by Samuel Twining and was therefore held as gospel, but is more likely than not simply folkloric myth.  Both hard and soft porcelain are resistant to the temperature of steeped teas.

From the twentieth century onward, the serving traditions became regionalized.  Areas with a larger working class population likely held preferences for milk first.  Whereas, more affluent areas espoused a milk second tradition.  After all, it was not too long ago where the expression "she/he is rather milk-in-first" was used to refer to people of a lower social standing than oneself.

1. chef-de-jour profile image96
      chef-de-jourposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Lovely writing,thanks. One more important thing to remember is the hardness/softness of water which differs from region to region and affects staining of china.

5. Dantex460 profile image60
    Dantex460posted 11 years ago

I prefer it second, the heat from the water gets the tea out better (unless its a placebo effect) and the milk going in after cools it down better making it drinkable straight away.

6. GensN profile image61
    GensNposted 11 years ago

I find it very amusing to see this question asked since this was just a topic of discussion with some clients a couple days ago. We were on a split decision!

I always let the tea steep first for five minutes before adding half & half (yes that's my preference over milk). I find that the tea flavor comes through stronger when I don't add anything until the steeping time has passed.

Now I have tried it the other way, half & half first and then tea, but I found that it didn't taste as strong as I like it therefore, I stand by my preference of tea first!

7. sweetie1 profile image49
    sweetie1posted 11 years ago

We Indians drink our tea with milk. We don't drink black tea. In India we usually put the milk last and usually make tea in the pot on the heat. So we put water and tea leaves, then some cardamon and when it boils good then we add milk and wait till it boils and then pass it through sieve and serve in Cups.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)