What site do I send my new writers to?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (15 posts)
  1. bob711 profile image61
    bob711posted 14 years ago

Folks:
    This is to show you how much class Hubpages has and to ask for help again.  I am 100% line and started on this site several weeks ago.  JAWS, my talking Web browser, would not do certain essential things on Hub even after receiving help on basic parts from many of you.

I started to write an E-male to the forum requesting suggestions to run the most essential part of the system.

As I started to write the letter I received an E-mail from one of the six people that run Hub.  His name was Paul and I am ashamed to say I did not notice his last name.  He informed me that Hub just ventured into assistive technology by modifying their system so it was easier for people with it to use.

I thought this was a class act and was extremely generous, caring and considerate.  I checked out the system and determined that I could easily use it.  I started using computers in the Army in 1954 and started extensive use in 1977.  I thought I had run into every possible problem.

Immediately after testing the new system I ran into a major problem with my combination web browser and E-male system.  It has taken me 10 days to fix the problem and get back on line.

I did lose all E-mail communications I was saving which brings up my problem and question.

I belong to a large veterans group that meets weekly.  Many of the people are great story tellers and writers.  When I send them to Hub how to I determined what my site address is so I will get credit for their joining?

For some reason I still have not figured out how to answer you individually for my verbal reader just does not go to the correct place.  So, while this is somewhat rude, please accept my grateful appreciation and thanks for your help, especially to Dark Side.
    Bo
    b

1. darkside profile image63
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Bob, once you get up and going, I'd really like to read some hubs on both the difficulties a blind person faces when trying to navigate online, as well as the freedom it can bring by being able to use it to access information so readily.

I'm interested in knowing how forums work with the software you use. How it reads things like the QUOTE tags or quotation marks. Because I can only guess and speculate I don't even know where to begin asking questions.

But to get to your question: "When I send them to Hub how to I determined what my site address is so I will get credit for their joining?" I have two hubs on it.

Number 1 An Introduction To HubPage Referrals http://hubpages.com/hub/Referrals

Number 2 How HubPage Tracking Works http://hubpages.com/hub/tracking

Read them both. Trust me on this, the first time, even the second time, it may be a little hard to understand. It took me a while to figure it out and then even longer to try and get it into words. Any questions or the need for further clarification, just ask.

2. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

Bob, after you've logged into Hubpages, use that link to direct your friends.

1. LVM profile image59
      LVMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Jane, would you mine expounding more on your answer.  As I see it, Bob was asking how to create a link or something which would make any new member sign-up to HubPages credited to him as a referral.  I think it has something to do with trackers but I'm not sure since I haven't use it myself.

Thanks.

3. profile image0
    ryankettposted 14 years ago

hi bob711,

what you need to know is called your referral url.

Im not so sure how you get this, but somebody on here should be able to help.

You may be in for a wait though, as the forum seems very quiet and slow today!

Hope that somebody can help.

1. LVM profile image59
      LVMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You're right!  What's going on.  The others posts are all 6 hours ago being the latest.

1. White Teeth profile image61
        White Teethposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Holiday weekend in US.

4. LVM profile image59
    LVMposted 14 years ago

When I read Bob's post I got interested with these trackers and I'll be doing my own reading on this topic right now but I would appreciate any info I could get from this thread.

5. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

Bob,

Here is a link that will lead you to a page that will allow you to create a tracker that will give you credit when you refer your friends

http://hubpages.com/my/trackers

When you are logged into hubpages the footer of each page has a link that says

link to this page

By using that link you can automatically generate a link that includes your tracker to any page on hubpages

the sign up page is

http://hubpages.com/this-is-where-your- … /user/new/

Not sure how this post will translate with your assistive technology, Ill check back to try and answer any questions that arise

6. arunjain1989 profile image60
    arunjain1989posted 14 years ago

Bob you need to click on "my account" and then click on "url trackers" there you will find your default tracker and also there would be an option to create your own tracker.And then you just need to put that tracker in the url of the article which you want to share with everyone.And once the person click on the link with your tracker and sign up to hub pages witin 30 days it will be credited to you.And yea after clicking the tracker is not visible in the address bar.the tracker should be placed after hubpages.com after putting an underscore.
    My tracker looks like this
    www.hubpages.com/_arun/hub/when-i-missed-my-train.
    here arun is my tracker.hope that helps

7. LVM profile image59
    LVMposted 14 years ago

Oh, thanks for the reminder.  I must be too busy hubbing.

8. bob711 profile image61
    bob711posted 14 years ago

Dark Side:
    Below is something I send to people I am told are blined and to the various Veteran's Administration bline schools around the country.

In answer to your questions, when my system is reading an entire document and comes to a text input field, it says, "text".  I hit, "enter" or verbally say, "confirm that" and it opens the text field.  As tags are text fields they works the same way.

I can set a system to read all punctuation, no punctuation or some punctuation.  I have mine set to, "some" and it will not read quotation marks in this mode.  They are usually clumsy to listen to.  If I need to know if there are quotes I can move back and forth one letter at a time and it will then read all the punctuation.  When there is a question mark the system speaks the last word with an upward inflection.

If you have any other questions please call me.  I will answer any questions on any subject known including the two I know something about.

Please don't you or anyone else feel you are imposing.  You will not be.  If the President finally gets smart and calls me to learn how to run the country I will put him on hold for you and the rest of the folks on Hub are more important to me.
    Bob
    /////
    Within a month of my going blind on December 17, 1984 I was using assistive technology on my computer.  At the time there were several adequate programs available.  None of them were outstanding except for the times. 

IBM, many years ago, came up with what is still the best web browser combination E-mail program ever may for even the sighted.  Until version 3.021 it beat anything available up until then.  including now.  They updated to version 4.0 and it was a catastrophe.  They canceled their assistive technology program but many of us still use 3.021 for nothing compares with it.  It combines both functions into a simple program that requires virtually no training.  Now new programs, from many vendors, requires two programs to do the same thing and none of them compare with the IBM program named Home Page Reader.  IBM keeps claiming they are interested in helping the handicapped but for many years there has been no sign of that.

A short time later several programs became available that were outstanding.  Far and away the best was named JAWS (Jobs Access With Speech).

The newest versions will do practically anything you will ever want them to do.  The only thing they will not do is to read the anti-spam bubble codes that are required to get many things from the net.  Most cited people have a great deal of trouble reading these also.

A new company has come up with an alternative on the sites which gives you the choice of reading the bubble or listening to an audio phrase and typing it in.  Even in the clearest ones you will quite often have to ask for a new phrase 5 to 10 times to get one that is completely intelligible.  This is a lot better than being denied access.

With JAWS you can operate any Windows program as well as anything on the net with just a few exceptions.  JAWS will not speak:
    *visual bubble codes.
    *it will not read some new types of links on sites that are conventional links to cited people.  When you click on them manually or verbally nothing happens.  This is inexcusable but, so far, that is the way it is.
    *ITUNES is useless with JAWS.  J-TUNES at $75.00 from NGT (below) solves the problem.
    *the same problem occurs with some videos.
    *many things you will want to read are in Adobe PDF format.  When you go to an Adobe file it immediately detects you are using assistive technology and it will not allow you to download the file.  For many years they have claimed they are working on this problem.  That does not a peer to be true.

You can get Adobe files.  I have someone download them to their computer and then send the file to me as an attachment.  This is clumsy and intrusive but it works.  Once the file is on my computer I can easily read it with Adobe reader.  I can also manipulate it any way I want to.  If I can do this Adobe certainly could do it.

JAWS, with simple keystrokes, will read one letter at a time, one word, one paragraph or an entire document.  A totally blind person, me, can install the program with no help.  As soon as the program is installed you can use it without paying attention to the instructions.  Play around with it a little and then go for the instructions.  You will find too many things with it that you will not have thought of before.  The only problem you will have is as it has so many possible commands that most of us have a difficult time remembering those that are rarely used.  It is just like Microsoft Word in this respect.

JAWS is only useful for those that can type.  There is a system available for those that have very limited use of their fingers.  It is manufactured by New Generation Technologies (NGT) ngtvoice.com from Washington, State.  The system uses:
    JAWS $895.00 to $1,095.00.
    Dragon naturally speaking pro $895.00.
    J-SAY $827.00.
    It is what I use to do my typing and to operate my computer.

Under no circumstances buy these programs separately.  They only work as a matched set.  The version of each program only works with the match version of the other two programs.

Everything that has the word, "blind" attached to it is expensive.  You can see that from the prices of the programs above.  The entire system from and GT comes with those programs installed as well as with a Windows operating system, a modem for Internet access and a sweet from Microsoft.  It probably comes with Norton antivirus.  Historically, this has many problems with assistive technology.  For instance Norton identifies my authorization code as a virus and deletes it which makes the entire system useless.  I always immediately eliminated from my systems when it comes on them. 

The complete system is just under $5000.00.

J-SAY couples the other two programs together so that you may verbally, through a microphone, issue virtually any command you can think of as well as dictating your documents to the system.  About all it will not do is to turn on without your finger pushing a button and regardless of how much you are determined it will not make your lunch.

There are a multitude of commands you may give the system.  Again, the problem is remembering what they are.  All of the common and most used commands are intuitive.  You may say them in a variety of ways and, most of the time, the system will respond to you.

It turns out this is not much of a handicap.  You will easily remember the commands that are commonly used.  You can verbally ask for a list of commands at any time.  You may also ask, "?  What can I do?".  This will tell you what you may do in the specific area you are in.

If you are a disabled veteran your VIST coordinator can get you a system.  If that person is not aware of this please give me a call and I will tell you what to do to get it.  No, I have no affiliation with this company and I do not get a dime out of it.

If for some reason you want to uninstall the programs, DON'T!  When uninstalling you must do it precisely the way the verbal instructions tell you to do it.  If you do it incorrectly you will destroy your Windows operating system.  You will not be able to restore it in less you re-format the system, lose everything you have on your system and then reinstall everything you had on the system.

When you install again you must do things PRECISELY in the manner described in the instructions or the system will not work and it is likely will not ever worked.

Once it is installed it is very user friendly.  Do not be intimidated by it.  If you need help or suggestions, at any time, feel free to call me.  I was the first one to get one at the Veteran's Administration Blind School in Palo Alto, California.  Later I found out the instructors, who had never seen the system before, were standing in the doorway watching and listening to me teach myself how to use it.  These instructors are very good but everyone has to start somewhere.
    Bob
    (559) 298-6906
    Bobhager711@comcast.net

1. Kadmiels profile image51
      Kadmielsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would eliminate your phone number from there but this would make great information on a hub you could do im sure it is information not many people know about

2. sunforged profile image70
      sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Bob,

You have composed what could be a very strong hub within this forum post.

As for the phone number, i include my own number within a lot of online communication also, but it is best to change the format so it is not easily scraped by online bots for not so nice uses.

writing the numbers as words and/or avoiding breaking teh number up with hyphens easily defeats most programs

write this as your first hub!

9. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

Bob,

I read your first hub..its a keeper.

While composing the hubs was it easy to find the text capsule? As the hub would benefit by being broke up into at least 5 more capsules. This will help increase the readability.

Currently the big block of text is likely to scare some readers away.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)