What would you save?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (31 posts)
  1. Cre8tor profile image92
    Cre8torposted 11 years ago

What would you save?

Your house is on fire and you have enough time to grab one personal item that you could never replace if you don't get it now...what would that item be?

2. Sherry Hewins profile image93
    Sherry Hewinsposted 11 years ago

I would save my pets first, but if it's an object we're talking about it would have to be my box of family photos.

Cre8torposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes. Sticking to the object assuming that we would all go for our loved ones...usually. Photos are a good one.

3. unknown spy profile image43
    unknown spyposted 11 years ago

if this is a thing, i would grab my backpack. I always have this tendency to put all my neccessary things on one backpack incase of emergency.. smile

I struggle with this thought sometimes. Like you, I like knowing I can grab and go...however, the forgetful me worries about ever losing my pack and thus everything I need. In this case, it works quite well.

4. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

Assuming all living creatures are safe, I would grab up my photo albums/scrapbooks.  I was going to say iPad but that can be replaced, the photos can't as many of them are from my childhood.....a longggggg time ago.

No doubt these are not something we can pick back up at the store. Good call, good call.

5. profile image0
    Emer420posted 11 years ago

I would grab my laptop and drag everything connected to the same surge protector out with it which includes: TV, DVD player, Xbox, and laptop sound system.  Haha.

Though this means you're a shallow individual (haha), you made me laugh out loud so, UP vote for you. I'm sure the neighbors will let you plug in until the fire dept comes so you can watch your house burn down on TV.

6. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 11 years ago

Not for nothin' but if my house is on fire I'm not going to worry about what I can save. Assuming my wife and kids were safe, I'd save my ass.

I gave you your ass already. You still had time...nothing? Kids first tooth? That fish you caught in scout camp? Your lucky socks? Nothing?

7. Daughter Of Maat profile image94
    Daughter Of Maatposted 11 years ago

I thought about this one for awhile. My gut instinct answer was my scrapbooks. Then I started thinking about all my pagan jewelry and altar stuff, some of which would be difficult to find again, but then I thought none of that compares to the pictures I have of my dogs that are now deceased. Although I'd have to grab Lady's collar which I keep in my altar. (But I just ran into the bedroom and stuffed it into her scrapbook, so now I can say just my scrapbooks lol.)

Seriously, although my laptop has quite a few pictures on it that I have yet to print and scrap, those albums of my dogs, and the first few months of my husband and I's life together are priceless. I'm assuming I'm putting all this in my car to get away of course. Otherwise, my car would be the first thing I save. It has deep sentimental value (I know that's weird, but if you read my hub on spirit guides, you'll understand why, plus there's a lot of puke stains from my dogs on the back seat... just kidding lol).

Okay DOM...because I like you, I'll give you the car too since it could be parked in the driveway though I'd let mine burn and get a new one w/ the insurance. I love that you put the collar in the book...now we're getting it.

2. Daughter Of Maat profile image94
      Daughter Of Maatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol Indeed, car is in the driveway. The car has been with me since my accident 13 years ago, so it's been the one constant in my life. Kind of attached to it, but I know it's stupid it's just a thing... big_smile

8. lindalou1963 profile image60
    lindalou1963posted 11 years ago

This would be tough for me. Assuming that all people and pets are safe I would probably stand like a dummy trying to figure out what to take. I have the only known picture of my great grand parents from Ireland and its an original from the 1800s. I have my mother's antique dining table along with other things that had belonged to my mother. But these are just material things. Maybe I would grab my wallet and keys. Wouldn't want to get a ticket on the same day my house caught on fire.

Since the wallet and keys are likely by each other, I'll give you both. Good thought. Making all these claims, dealing with the day to day, could be tough without an ID and congrats, since you saved the credit cards, you have a place to sleep tonight

9. securityproducts3 profile image40
    securityproducts3posted 11 years ago

I'd save my golf clubs. Then I'd just live out on the golf course cause it would probably be the only thing that could keep me sane after losing my house. lol

Ahh yes, golf and fishing resolve all problems.

10. Kari Pete profile image61
    Kari Peteposted 11 years ago

If I could get to it, I'd grab my purse and/or my laptop (I've really got to back up some research to the cloud, then I can not worry about the laptop).

Actually, scratch that.  I'd get a pair of shoes.  More practical in the moment.

Shoes are a real good idea. Particularly because we don't know what season it is. Purse is good too, like wallet for ID purposes but shoes is very good in the moment.

11. Martyn Wright profile image69
    Martyn Wrightposted 11 years ago

Most material objects can be replaced, barring those with a heavy sentimental value! 
    My old family photo's can be replaced,I have them all scanned into the PC! So too, all family videos!
    I would save my Backup hard drive! It's a stand alone unit and very portable!

Ahhh, good thinking with the backup....great minds think alike. My answer is soon to come.

12. mrsgray profile image61
    mrsgrayposted 11 years ago

After everyone is out safely i would definitly grab phones, home movies, family memories, things that money can not replace.

Only 1 there Mrs. Gray...but I'll give you an up vote for effort.

13. connorj profile image69
    connorjposted 11 years ago

After contemplating this and realizing that pictures and sentimental objects have a tendency to trigger memories stored in our long-term recall areas and most significantly "bring them back" to the surface; I must conclude I would grab my hockey stick; just kidding, my picture albums or digital photos stored on disc...

1. connorj profile image69
      connorjposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have changed my mind; I do apologize, on 2nd thought I would save this 1 item; although it is intangible indeed it is the most valuable to me. That would be "time" and if I could save time perhaps I could even prevent this catastrophe...

2. Cre8tor profile image92

I was just getting ready to comment and couldn't so with that, I like it...thinking out of the box gets 2 up votes...1 here and 1 in my heart! Haha!

14. Josh Bell profile image57
    Josh Bellposted 11 years ago

I'd probably have to save my computer, or at least one of my external hard drives that I have everything backed up to. This is simply because I would lose entirely too much work if I didn't save it. No amount of time and money could replace all that I'd lose without it.

Sad but true. Everyone has to earn a living. Of course, with no mortage and the insurance payout, you might consider taking some time off. :-)

15. CBartelmey profile image70
    CBartelmeyposted 11 years ago

Of all the things I have, after reading this question only one came instantly to mind.  That is my red baseball cap with the word "Seeker" embroidered on it.  The seeker refers to the position in Quidditch from the Harry Potter novels.  This was originally my younger sisters and of the mementos that I have, that is the one thing that reminds me the most of her so that would be the one thing that I would grab.

I'm a hat fan, I have a dog named Hagrid (no joke) and I am glad to get this type of response...something specific that has personal value. Not that pictures don't but they are expected and this is interesting. Good job by you.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)