What is something you have done to help a complete stranger?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (11 posts)
  1. NicholasA profile image58
    NicholasAposted 11 years ago

What is something you have done to help a complete stranger?

2. BizGenGirl profile image87
    BizGenGirlposted 11 years ago

Just the other day I was downtown dealing with some court nonsense, and I saw several people sleeping homeless under the bridge in the parking lot where a part.  As if serendipity had placed its hand in front of me, I realize that I had two lunches army that day, and I certainly wasn't going to eat both.  So I took the freshest say in which I had, and I went over and gave it to the nearest man sleeping near my car.  I know it's not everything, though I'd imagine that better than nothing. smile

1. NicholasA profile image58
      NicholasAposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That was very kind of you to do. I'm sure he thought it was everything when you gave him that sandwich.

3. Lyn Diano profile image40
    Lyn Dianoposted 11 years ago

I may not answer this question directly, but I sure have a very nice thing to share about helping a complete stranger...

I have a great teacher and he taught us how can people really help someone. He said, definitely, people (all the living beings) have material necessities, but giving these things to them may not help that much. He said, it is great to help those who have lost their homes due to flood or fire and give them food to eat, clothes, and shelter, but after sometime, all these things will soon be gone and they'll still need more which you can never give. They still need lots of things to survive, but as limited as we are, we can never give them all the support they need. Though we truly want to help them, the fact still remains that we are limited in every aspect. We may want to keep them happy and comfortable, but we truly can't. All we can do is a temporary relief from their miserable lives. My great teacher also said that there is the best way which can help them forever... Give them the knowledge about God and the relationship of every individual to God. Tell them that we cannot truly be happysimply by having material things (food, water, shelter, money, relationships in this world which everyone is seeking). Enlighten them that even the most richest and most beautiful person has this already but s/he is not happy in his position. Still there are things that they demand and need. Speak to them heart to heart that what they need is God and to have a loving relationship with God. Because in the end, when there is another flood or disaster that may come their way and there's no one around to help them, the only thing that they will experience is pure helplessness, fear, and pain. But if we give to them the knowledge about God, and they start to make the effort to love God, no matter what they do, no matter what problem they may encounter, they'll still be okay. Because they know, in their hearts, God knows what He is doing and He knows what's best for them. They'll have faith that God loves them and He will protect them.

We can give a complete stranger help (material things) but make sure to make this as a loving service to God and make the effort to speak to him about God as well. I am not the one who have helped a complete stranger, I am that complete stranger who have been helped.

4. ChristinS profile image40
    ChristinSposted 11 years ago

I have given food to the homeless and even money which I was chewed out for by a business owner.  I was told it encourages them to stick around the businesses.  I'm so sorry I encouraged a suffering human being to block your doorway buddy! ...

I tend to do little things - hold doors, give quarters to people at the Aldi market, smile at someone having a hard day, being a generous tipper - just the little things I think add up and show us our common humanity.

5. connorj profile image70
    connorjposted 11 years ago

I had a most extraordinary experience/coincidence happen to me in the Autumn of 2004 (not too long after I survived and fully recovered from a comatose state). I was hit while in my Ford Escape by a drunk driver. It was a classic Hit and Run incident. He came over a curb from a grassy area perpendicular to the highway and impacted my passenger-side, and drove on. I too ran after him (in my Ford Escape). After catching up to him and almost hitting him with my fist, I suddenly stopped and allowed him to walk away. He did walk away, cursing, swearing (not at me) and in complete denial of the event.
    Meanwhile the police came perused the scene, our vehicles and after asking me a series of questions they walked off looking for this gentleman. Meanwhile a lady in a mini-van came up to me, jumped out and hugged me. Now I, the somewhat of an idiot, complained and said, "lady what the heck are you doing can't you see I was just in an accident?  Look, leave me alone!"  I thought to myself, poor, poor Johnny, he will be without his wheels for a few days, probably be stuck with a $500 deductable and look at his escape!
    This lady was persistent and realized I was unaware of what "good" I had accomplished. She said, “Look, you don't understand, I was beside you in the other lane when you intercepted that guy! If you were not there (and she pointed to the passenger side of her mini-van) my children would have been hit by that guy. In her car were 3 children, (ages 6, 4, and either 3 or 2). I was literally a block for her (without knowing) my act may have saved 3 lives. A more complete story about this can be read at: http://connorj.hubpages.com/hub/Gods-Pawn

6. ChitrangadaSharan profile image90
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 11 years ago

Many times--- I like giving food, water, clothes, books etc. to help those who need them. It gives me immense  satisfaction to do that.

7. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 11 years ago

The old man in line in front of me at the grocery store did not have enough money to pay for the meat in his cart.  I told the cashier to put it on my bill and let him have it.  Didn't know the man and never saw him again, but could not handle someone not having enough money to buy the groceries he needed.

8. Film Fanatic 603 profile image60
    Film Fanatic 603posted 11 years ago

One time at work I found a large amount of money on the ground. Rather then keeping it, which i'll admit was very tempting, I turned it in. Eventually the owner of that money, having realized what had happened, was able to come back in and claim the money.

9. Mitch Alan profile image81
    Mitch Alanposted 11 years ago

I have fed the homeless meals personally, but never give them money. Unfortunately, many will spend it on alcohol etc.
    I have organized coat drives and handed out coats to struggling families. I have organized food drives for local food pantries. I have an on-going fundraising program for raising awareness and funds for childhood cancer research.
    I believe that we as individuals and local organizations are the first line of defense and not the government, especially the federal government.

10. Kimberly Vaughn profile image72
    Kimberly Vaughnposted 11 years ago

I have had two situations where I helped women on the side of the road:
    1. The first was a teenage girl walking on the side of the road without shoes on. I stopped my car and offered her a spare pair of sandals I had in the car.
    2. The second was a mom with a little boy in a stroller. She is trying to get the strolled through a field rather than walk along the side of the busy road. So, I stopped my car and helped her get the stroller to the crosswalk.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)