Why is the subject of religion is often a contentious area for discussion?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (13 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 11 years ago

Why is the subject of religion is often a contentious area for discussion?

2. SocraticMethod profile image61
    SocraticMethodposted 11 years ago

The contentiousness comes from the differing views and convictions the devoted have toward their views. Religion, in general, is not synonymous with tolerance of ways that differ from their often closed system. From my experience the debate about the nature of belief is often the bone of contention. If one can accept the divine or not...the believer sees truth and the non believer sees truth. Thus, an open dialogue is helpful free of polemics and closed positions that end the conversation quickly, but that is often rare since suppleness of mind is not promoted by most cultures.

3. FIS profile image70
    FISposted 11 years ago

SocraticMethod gets it right... but let me try phrasing it another way: most religions claim that there is only one way to the truth.. their way. People who believe that, can't admit that someone else's religion could possibly be right.. but.. people are offended and have their feeling hurt when they are told that they are wrong... and.. if their religion too says that it's the only way... they feel justified in that feeling. So... when people believe that they are absolutely correct  and everyone else is absolutely wrong.. and their are hurt feelings.. there is going to be conflict.

4. Kiss andTales profile image60
    Kiss andTalesposted 11 years ago

This is true ,people of all cultures and backgrounds have this inner desire to worship, a hunger to give praise and honor, who they fill deserves it , but there is another issue ,do every gift of praise is accepted just because we give it, think able gave his gift of worship ,and Cain gave his , who's gift God accepted ,Ables! God has not changed! People do!

5. mismazda profile image61
    mismazdaposted 11 years ago

I believe because MANY value, and think that their religion choices is what others should only live by, and if they are not on the same page with religion, people seem to get upset with each other. I do have a religious preference, however I am open to hear what other people's preferences are, but that does not mean I will have to agree with them or change my own religious choice, but like I say some people are not even open to hear about other religions except their own...

6. profile image57
    kdawsonposted 11 years ago

Because religion separates people.  I'm not going to say if this is the nature of religion or a human trait (probably both) but religious loyalty has cause much of man's troubles over the years.

7. zsobig profile image82
    zsobigposted 11 years ago

It is not just religion, it is basically everything in what two people's ideas can differ. But it is true, that religion was and will always be a contentious area. In my opinion the reason for this is the fact that most religions only accept their 'special' way of truth and they more or less dislike those people who think else. People do not like to accept if they are wrong or there is another, better/more accurate idea apart from theirs.

8. NourRifai profile image59
    NourRifaiposted 11 years ago

Cz religion is not just anything .. its something beyond this world as we see .. u live ur life 4 hw much 80 or 90 years ? but ur choice in the religion will define ur forever life

9. btrbell profile image87
    btrbellposted 11 years ago

I believe that many religions are oppositional with beliefs that cannot reconcile with one another. That would be the main reason for avoiding discussing religion. Another reason is that it is something most of us are passionate about, We either want to share our passion with the world or keep it to ourselves to avoid unpleasantness. A third reason could be that religion to some, is not tangible. It is harder to argue things that cannot always be seen or proven.

1. ThelmaC profile image93
      ThelmaCposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I couldn't have said it better.  I agree with you 100%.

10. robes profile image60
    robesposted 11 years ago

The subject of religion is going to always be a contentious area for discussion because people have different out looks. Some people are very hardcore about their faith and believe theirs is the only reasonable truth. Therefore discussion, or arguments rather, are going to continue to occur. In another outlook however, it's a big discussion because it reality no one TRULY knows the truth. It's one of human kinds biggest mysteries.

11. Darrell Roberts profile image73
    Darrell Robertsposted 11 years ago

Religion is a core belief, an idea that is so important to some people that it is the foundation of their reality.  No one wants to feel that the world that they have know all their life since childhood is not real.  This is the reason that people get so passionate. 

I think it should be simple Life is real Physical Death is real. All other things are faith and belief. This could be applied to all the religions.
    Best wishes.

12. pstraubie48 profile image81
    pstraubie48posted 11 years ago

It is often a contentious area for discussion because it is a very emotional issue. Those who hold precepts of their particular religion as sacred feel assaulted or violated when someone challenges those beliefs. Whether that is right or wrong is not the point. It just happens.
    Some people have adopted and believe that their take on religion or non-religion is the only correct one. That leaves no wiggle room. No way to meet in the middle.
    Often those who feel this way agree to disagree or end of at polar opposites on the topic not even able to have a civil conversation. What that says about their religious views could open a whole new debate.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)