Eastern vs. Western view on knowing God...which do you agree with and why?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)
  1. Tawl Pawl profile image62
    Tawl Pawlposted 11 years ago

Eastern vs. Western view on knowing God...which do you agree with and why?

In Eastern (Orthodox) Christianity, it is believed that we come to know God through experience, while in Western Christianity (Roman Catholisism, Protestantism) it is believed that we come to know God through logic. East = Heart, West = Mind...Which one do you agree with and why?

2. Sarah Christina profile image68
    Sarah Christinaposted 11 years ago

I agree with both. In my opinion, when doing anything in life, you should never base it solely on how you feel or solely on logic, because human beings are comprised of both a heart and a mind. You only find peace when you have a balanced approach, catering to both--in my personal experience, I have only felt the most connected to God when both my mind and heart were united as one. It is difficult to do sometimes, but it is possible. I also think it is different for everyone...each person's relationship with God is personal, and how they approach it differs depending on who they are. I suppose a more logical person takes the western approach, while a more passionate or feeling based person takes the eastern approach. Neither one is wrong, really...just a different way of connecting to God.

1. profile image57
      WillWynn2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Excellent points! We are all unique, so why should our approaches to this entity we call God be the same?

3. Darrell Roberts profile image71
    Darrell Robertsposted 11 years ago

I agree more with the Eastern philosophy pertain to God.  The over all view is that God created the material nature so that the spirit soul could come and try to enjoy material nature.  There is both heart and logic in the presentaton of the Eastern view.  The first thing is to konw that we are spiritual beings having a physical experence.  We are supposed to be the servants of God the creator. 

God allows us to go and play in the universe like children.  Based on what we do we will have karma to face.  We are only allowed to go back home to God head i.e the spititual world once we burn off all our Karma and accept God in a loving relationship.  Karma is the balance, there is no eternal damnation.  Every one is rewarded according to all their deeds in this life and in previous lives.  This is what I call fairness,

It answers the question why does bad things happen to "good" people.  THe answer is karma.  It also anwers why do good things happen to bad peple.  That is also karma. 

The heart and mind has to be pure to make it to the spiritual world so the eastern philosophy is a combination of both. 
    Best wishes.

4. ginjill ashberry profile image77
    ginjill ashberryposted 11 years ago

Hi Tawl Pawl,
    That is not true. Since you mentioned Christianity, i shall share with you what i came to know as the truth. There is no eastern or western Christianity. East and west has always joint hands in spreading the truth by having regular conferences with leaders from all nations around the world. Encouraging one another as one body of Christ by visitation and sharing of sermons, missions and ministering to a needy world. One belief, one vision.

When you speak about logic and heart, you are referring to the logic and emotional side of the mind(brain). The heart is an organ. But the phrase 'a wicked heart' is actually the core of a person's intent/motive; which is also part of the brain. A person can only 'know' God by the conviction of the Spirit of truth (Holy Spirit). Even then, a person may 'know about' God by another person. There are not of the same thing. Knowing God and know about Him are not the same. That perhaps, is the differences of mind and heart you are referring to.

There would not be any agreeable sides between east or west because in truth if they so term themselves as Christian, then there was never a 'differing' issue. Because friends, there is only one body of Christ; the church is of one spirit. If in fact you are referring to a different set of religion and beliefs altogether, then it may be the issue of differences.
    Thank you for giving me a chance to share this.

1. Sarah Christina profile image68
      Sarah Christinaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am glad you shared this today. I'm a christian, so I agree with your point. But how I see it is that each person's relationship towards God, and Jesus, is personal and just like the gospels vary in style, so do people's way to knowing God.

2. ginjill ashberry profile image77
      ginjill ashberryposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi, Christina.
      That is right. How the Holy Spirit works with each one is different as everyone is unique in background, life's experience, culture and so on. Means each person relates to God with their own personal way to convey depth of devotion:-)

5. profile image0
    Garifaliaposted 11 years ago

OK, I'm a Greek Orthodox by birth, but by choice I have my own beliefs. First of all, I agree with the Eastern mentality not because of my religion but because this is how people really do come to believe. Since I was twelve and up to a few years ago because of extremely discouraging  events in my life I had become an atheist. Despite the wonderful man that became my husband and wonderful children, the past I was lugging around with me did not allow me to believe. Then one day my two older children (then 12 and 10 yrs old) got lost. No matter what I did, I couldn't find them. After hours of fruitless search, I asked the Virgin Mary for her help. It came from deep within my soul almost without my control over it. Both my children were found close to midnight in separate areas of the city we'd been visiting. My little girl was found completely by accident (or was it?) and the man who had taken her to the police station had an angelic face. With each passing day I have come to believe all the more. For me it was experience.

6. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

I would have to agree with the Eastern beliefs. God has put us on this Earth and has given us free will to do as we please. Not always pleasing to him. My beliefs are you have to accept the sacrifice of Jesus Christ who died for all sin. This is where the Heart accepts him. Accept him into your heart and confess it with your mouth and you will spend Eternity with our Savior Jesus Christ and Almighty God in Heaven. This is the divine plan.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)