What is one book you think everyone should read?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (44 posts)
  1. GiblinGirl profile image71
    GiblinGirlposted 11 years ago

What is one book you think everyone should read?

2. Ms Dee profile image85
    Ms Deeposted 11 years ago

"Islam Uncensored" by Jeff King. It is an eye-opener to our current world situation, the reality of which we westerners do not correctly grasp.

GiblinGirlposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I haven't heard of that one, but I'll have to check it out.  It actually sounds like something my husband might also like to read, thanks.

2. Ms Dee profile image85
      Ms Deeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Very good. Warning, the first chapter is a bit of a slog, but the whole book is quite enlightening.

3. Peter Allison profile image78
      Peter Allisonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Really? It's all about Islam, by umm, Jeff King? Before Shakespeare? Before Moby Dick? Dostoevsky? The Bible? The Koran?

3. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 11 years ago

'To Kill a Mockingbird'

What equality looks like through the eyes of a child. 

We could all learn a LOT about how to be better human beings.

That's one of my FAVORITE books.  I read it years ago and loved it.

2. nishlaverz profile image60
      nishlaverzposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've never got passed the first chapter. Even when I had to read it at school I couldn't. However I've always wanted to read it as I love the film.

3. Rebecca2904 profile image68
      Rebecca2904posted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is such a great book! Great recommendation!

4. Twilight Lawns profile image73
    Twilight Lawnsposted 11 years ago

Why limit it to just one book?‘  Here are  some of my suggestions:
    ‘Brideshead Revisited’ by Evelyn Waugh
    ‘East of Eden’ by John Steinbeck
    ‘Theophilus North’ by Thornton Wilder
    ‘The Bridge of San Luis Rey’ by Thornton Wilder
    ‘The Great Gatsby’ by F. Scott Fitzgerald
    ‘To Kill a Mockingbird’ by Harper Lee (I agree so much, Motown.  Stunningly beautiful and sad.)
    ‘The Catalyst’ by Angela Jardine
    and of course,
    ‘The Twilight Lawns Chronicles’ by my all time favourite writer, whose name escapes me for the moment.

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I actually read while walking on the treadmill so I go through books pretty quickly.  I love that you included The Great Gatsby - that's truly a classic.

2. Rod Marsden profile image66
      Rod Marsdenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'll go along with To Kill a Mockingbird and The Great Gatsby. Great choices.

5. Rod Marsden profile image66
    Rod Marsdenposted 11 years ago

There isn't one single book. I do, however, have a list of ten. They are:
    1. 1984 by George Orwell
    2. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
    3. Dune by Frank Herbert
    4. The Shape of Things to Come by H. G. Wells
    5. Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne
    6. Ragtime by E. L Doctorow
    7. Making Money by Terry Pratchett
    8. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
    9. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
    10. The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling

These are not in any particular order of excellence since they are all very good and are part of our overall literary history. There really needs to be others. Even ten is far too short a list.

1. nishlaverz profile image60
      nishlaverzposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I would say that this is a great list of books. I remember The Great Gatsby and To Kill a Mockingbird from my school days. However never managed to finish them. I have an E-book copy of 1984 and love the Dune series of stories.

Glad you approve nushlaverz. High school texts are often only half read at best. Unfortunately, great books do become high school texts.

3. Conservative Lady profile image72
      Conservative Ladyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Great list - I think everyone should read Brave New World - keeps us reminded of how precious our freedoms are.

4. Rod Marsden profile image66

You got it Conservative Lady.

6. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 11 years ago

I would definitely not pick one that has been made into a film. I would say either 'Julian' or 'Creation' by Gore Vidal. The former gives a great insight into the origins of Christianity and the latter gives great insight into the origins of western and eastern philosophies, which all of our societies are based on.

7. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 11 years ago

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" series by Douglas Adams. It contains the answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything!

1. Rod Marsden profile image66

Yes. This is a great read and a great series of reads. I first came across The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy as a radio play but it started off as a novel. When I read the novel I wasn't disappointed.

8. Angie Jardine profile image69
    Angie Jardineposted 11 years ago

Again, there are so many wonderful books it's hard to limit oneself to just one.

For me it would be 'Cider with Rosie' by Laurie Lee to discover a lost England and the images inspired by its lyrical prose.

Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy to remind women of the constant importance of women's rights.

Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons for wonderful humour concerning the eccentricities of the English.

Cakes and Ale by W. Somerset Maugham for the unexpectedness of the plot and for showing that compassion is not always shown as one would expect.

And 'A Shropshire Lad' by A.E. Houseman for beautiful, and accessible, poetry.

However I must admit these are British books by classical British writers ... as such they are not all a 'light' read. They do however, I believe, add to one's understanding of life and its inconsistencies.

1. Twilight Lawns profile image73
      Twilight Lawnsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

And why am I not surprised?
      You tick all the boxes and then you are so off the wall.
      No wonder I like and admire you.

2. sarahmoose profile image65
      sarahmooseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have read 'A Shropshire Lad', we had it at school in the library relating to local literature (I'm from Wolverhampton originally), and I loved it. Glad you reminded me of it, I may have to get a copy...

9. ithabise profile image73
    ithabiseposted 11 years ago

Strunk & White's "The Elements of Style." Concise...precise...and always worth rereading for the person who endeavors to put pen to paper.

1. Rod Marsden profile image66

I have my own copy of this classic. When it comes to the written language it answers a lot of questions.

10. GiblinGirl profile image71
    GiblinGirlposted 11 years ago

Thanks everyone for all the great variety of suggestions.

11. rlaha profile image61
    rlahaposted 11 years ago

As some of the other Hubbers said, there isn't just one book that everyone should read. I think people should read all of the classics that are taught in English Literature as well as anything by Shakespeare and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

1. Twilight Lawns profile image73

riaha, after having avoided doing so for ages, I just started reading Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and i am amazed at the man't style, descriptions and the colour he brings to his writing.
      Also, much of the action takes place very close to where I live.

2. rlaha profile image61
      rlahaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Conan Doyle was very descriptive in his writing. I always enjoyed the Sherlock Holmes series.

3. Rod Marsden profile image66

riaha, I am an Arthur Conan Doyle fan. I love his more obscure works such as The White Company, and Sir Nigel.

4. sarahmoose profile image65
      sarahmooseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am currently starting a Conan Doyle anthology of all Sherlock Holmes stories. His writing is amazing.

5. rlaha profile image61
      rlahaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Rod Marsden.
        Yes, I like Sir Nigel as well. I haven't had the chace to read The White Company but that is next on my list of books to read! smile

Hi Sarahmoose!
          I agree! His writing is amazing! smile

12. nishlaverz profile image60
    nishlaverzposted 11 years ago

If I had to recommend one book it would have to be Arthur C Clark's Against the Fall of Night or as it is also known in it's revised format The City and the Stars.

I remember Against the Fall of Night this being the first book that I picked up and could not put down. There is also a sequel written by Gregory Benford but I was not is impressed by it.

13. knighthawk68 profile image60
    knighthawk68posted 11 years ago

The Bible there has never been a book like it since it has been written and everything in it is true.

14. NicholasA profile image57
    NicholasAposted 11 years ago

The Way of the Peaceful Warrior. It is an excellent book and you learn a lot if you really let the messages sink in, instead of just "reading" it.

15. sarahmoose profile image65
    sarahmooseposted 11 years ago

I think for me it would have to be 'Mister God, this is Anna' by Fynn (pseudonym of Sydney Hopkins). It is a beautifully written book about a profoundly wise four year old who believes herself to be a personal helper to 'Mister God'. I am not an overtly religious person, but this book captures the beauty of life through the eyes of a child, and how they can see the beauty in things that we as adults often can't. Without giving too much away, the ending is very sad.

Sounds like it's a very thought-provoking book.

16. Rebecca2904 profile image68
    Rebecca2904posted 11 years ago

My favourite books are 'One Day' and 'Me Before You'. Both are so well written and, although they might be tear-jerkers, they also manage to be hilarious most of the way though. Even better, after reading either one you'll be left with an increased love for life and a desire to live every day to the full. Word of warning, 'Me Before You' deals with euthanasia, so if that's a sensitive topic for you in some way then maybe it's best to avoid it.

My more 'highbrow' literary favourites are 'To Kill a Mockingbird' and the 'Great Gatsby'. My boyfriend recently read '1984' and he said it was one of the best books he's ever read, so perhaps I should suggest that as well.

Thanks for the warning about Me Before You. I may check out One Day though.

When it comes to 1984, Rebecca2904, I agree with your boyfriend.

17. profile image52
    Giddy Geezerposted 11 years ago

Since the Bible is already mentioned I would recommend "The Catcher in the Rye" by J.D. Salinger and "The Grapes of Wrath" by John Steinbeck. A more recent favorite is 'White Oleander" by Janet Fitch. Anything by Maugham will not disappoint but my favorite is "Mrs. Craddock".

I love Catcher in the Rye - good suggestion.

2. Twilight Lawns profile image73

Yes, "The Catcher in the Rye" by J.D. Salinger and "The Grapes of Wrath" by John Steinbeck. but anything by Steinbeck.  They are all good, and Salinger's short stories as well.

18. anuws profile image61
    anuwsposted 11 years ago

I would recommend the power of positive thinking (Norman Vincent Peel) and The Secret (Forgot the author's name.)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)