Why is voter I.D. such an issue?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (25 posts)
  1. IDONO profile image59
    IDONOposted 11 years ago

Why is voter I.D. such an issue?

I have been an American citizen my whole life (58 yrs.) and cannot get a job in the U.S. without a current picture I.D. and an actual social security card. So, why would I feel that I should be able to vote for the leader of my country without one? As long as this rule would apply to everybody, I don't see the problem.

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

I totally agree with you. People just want something to gripe about. Oh, The Government is infringing on my rights again, Save the trees, Let the homeless starve. I honestly can't believe we have gone this long without a photo I.D. to vote.

1. profile image0
      screamingposted 11 years agoin reply to this

LOL...any mandate? Amazing how so many are against Obamacare yet for a photo id mandate. And to landmark, 32 dollars isn't a lot to most, but a lot to those on fixed income. In Ga, u have to fill out form, they mail to you, and you mail back! WEEKS!

2. LandmarkWealth profile image67
      LandmarkWealthposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Voting is optional Obamacare is not.  $32 is $4 a year and it's free for veterans...My 8 years old nephew earns enough to cover that.  Come on

3. IDONO profile image59
      IDONOposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Why is Ga. any different from the other 49 states? If that bad, how would you afford transportation to the voting site anyway? Many have sad, you can barely function without an I.D. in any way. If you don't have one, voting shouldn't be your worry.

3. profile image0
    screamingposted 11 years ago

Many of the elderly no longer drive and have picture ID. Some, like in the case of my 84 year old mother, never drove, so no ID. The process to get a photo ID is not as easy as you think. Also, many people in the big cities don't drive and have an ID. Many states you have to pay for an ID, which means taking off of work. Not a problem if you make a lot of money, but a hardship if you're among the working poor. This photo id is nothing more then a Republican ploy to eliminate many elderly and working poor from being able to vote! Many of those poor areas are mostly Democrats, hence they manipulate the vote in their favor.

4. BobMonger profile image61
    BobMongerposted 11 years ago

Now does one go from day to day in our modern world without an I.D.? I can't cash a check without one; in my state I can't buy a six pack of beer without one; I had to show proof of residence before I could register to vote, so there are good reasons for requiring proper identification before a person can vote.Back in the bad old days crooked politicians led cities like Chicago and New York to the brink of ruin because people who "voted well and voted often" made sure the crooks stayed in power. With the advent of picture I.D.s the practice of going through cemeteries to get the names off headstones and registering under that name came to a halt. Now I hear that "civil rights are being violated' because states are requiring voters to be able to prove they are actually who they say they are. What nonsense!

1. LandmarkWealth profile image67

Think about how bad it will be for all of those poor people when they find out they can't get their Social Security without proper ID.  They can't accept the deposit without a bank account to put it in, which requires proper ID.

5. LandmarkWealth profile image67
    LandmarkWealthposted 11 years ago

The notion that you can't get a non drivers license ID so easily is upsurd.  I have done it for my grandparents who no longer drove at the time.  They also had to have it to board a plane anyway. It took all of 30 minutes.  The reason it's an issue is that voter fraud is a real problem in this country.  It has been for some time.  People in politics who are opposed to it are either engaged in voter fraud or simply trying to rile people up with another ploy to make people believe that proving who they are is somehow disenfranchisment. 
    This has been going on for years.  From the nonsense in th 60's that happened with Mayor Daley and the mysterious dead people that turned up to vote at the last minute for JFK...To the county that Al Franken one where he got more votes than registered voters in 2008.   I am sure it has happened on both sides of the political isle.  ID would probably help.  But that won't insure it will be perfect either.  Fake ID in the US is not exactly unattainable.  However it's a nice start.

1. profile image0

Upsurd is requiring our retired military from WWII and retirees to get photo id when they didn't need it in the past. Maybe where you're from it;s easy, but here in Georgia it isn't! And you fail to mention the cost?

2. LandmarkWealth profile image67

The cost of an ID is nominal and not nearly as costly as election fraud.  I got them in Florida  I have friends in GA that have a Drivers License They obtain ID quite simply  So I guess the WW2 generation can't fly or cash a check at the bank either.

3. BobMonger profile image61
      BobMongerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The cost for a picture ID in Nevada for senior and veterans is $10. A baptismal or birth certificate and proof of residence, such as a power bill or rent receipt,  is required.  I had to get my  birth certificate not too long ago-cost $10.

4. LandmarkWealth profile image67

Seriously Screaming, all due respect your state says it's $32 every 8 years. The cost argument is just grasping at straws.

http://www.dds.ga.gov/drivers/DLdata.as … &ty=dl

5. profile image0

Landmark, requiring my 84 year old mom to prove who she is is absurd! Again, she never drove, so no license. Read my previous comment!

6. LandmarkWealth profile image67

Screaming, You don't need to drive to have official ID.  Without it you can't open a bank account.  That means you can't collect Social Security or even a welfare check since they dont pay cash and there is no way to make the deposit  Give me a break

7. profile image0

Landmark, My mom owns a home, gets SS, has a bank account, and Never had a picture id!

8. LandmarkWealth profile image67

Nonsense, it's against the law to open a bank account without it.  It violates Federal AML laws. Thats how we do soft hit credit checks.  And no bank would allow a withdrawl of funds without picture ID. I have done this for 15 years for a living.

6. junkseller profile image78
    junksellerposted 11 years ago

You Voter ID people just aren't paying attention. A new study was just done and it found 10 cases of in-person voter fraud in all of America since the year 2000. 10 cases!! That's it. This type of voter fraud is virtually non-existent. IT IS NOT A PROBLEM.

Many states prior to the current massive disenfranchisement efforts allowed a wide variety of documents to be used in order to vote including things like utility bills, hunting licenses, birth certificates, etc. It is estimated that 22 million people don't have the proper ID to vote even though they are American citizens. Are you really okay with that?

Even if you want to enact these laws (which do absolutely nothing) they should not be done just months before the election and they should include steps to inform citizens of the changes and help them acquire the necessary ID. This is nothing but an attempt by the Republicans to steal the election and it is disgraceful.

1. LandmarkWealth profile image67

Junkseller, the Minnesota election commission found over 2800 dead people voted in the senate and presidential election that year alone. It is a big problem.  Not picking on MN. It happens all over.

2. junkseller profile image78
      junksellerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No, what happens all the time is STORIES about dead people voting. What doesn't ever happen is proof.

3. LandmarkWealth profile image67

Franken received more votes in that election in multiple counties than they had voters that were even registered.  That is a mathamatical impossibility without fraud.

4. junkseller profile image78

Until I see proof of that, I'll continue to consider it a story. Even so, there was suspicion that duplicate ballots were double counted (which would explain it), but that would be an issue of election official mistakes, not voter impersonation.

5. LandmarkWealth profile image67

Check with the Minnesota Election commission.  You'll get all the proof you need.  That plus the dead people and convicted felons voting should be more than enough.

6. junkseller profile image78

You want me to check with a nonexistent entity for nonexistent information? I'll get right on that. There is actually evidence of felons improperly voting, but that also has nothing to do with voter impersonation.

7. LandmarkWealth profile image67

The secretary of state office set up a comm (non existent apparently) to investigate the matter  Numerous people testified to this in an investigation and they refused to turn over to the attorney general  It was bad politics to pursue after an elec

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)