Do you think requiring identification to vote is a a violation of Constitutional

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (17 posts)
  1. breathe2travel profile image73
    breathe2travelposted 12 years ago

Do you think requiring identification to vote is a a violation of Constitutional rights?

There have been boycotts against Coca-Cola for their support of voter i.d. requirement.  There have been protests against various state legislations requiring i.d.  The fallacy?  Some sects find the requirement to show i.d. in order to vote a violation of Consitutional rights.  I see it as protecting our right to vote and an insurance against voter fraud --  What do you think?  Constitutional or a violation?

2. ramkimeena profile image56
    ramkimeenaposted 12 years ago

No. It is a correct administrative measure  to check  bogus  voting.

3. cathylynn99 profile image74
    cathylynn99posted 12 years ago

there is a miniscule amount of voter fraud. voter ID laws are a cynical political ploy to disenfranchise those who are likely to vote democratic - the poor, students, and minorities. tens of thousands will be disenfranchised in the name of stopping a couple hundred fraudulent votes.

1. MrMaranatha profile image72
      MrMaranathaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wow... what Faulty Logic... sort of like: "Lets just Open the Barn doors and trust the Honor system for the cattle to eat... Let them have free access to the hay and trust they wont eat more than their fair share.Dem Donkeys just said YEAH free HAY!!

4. dahoglund profile image70
    dahoglundposted 12 years ago

It seems to me to be a common sense thing to do.The only reason I can think of for anyone to object to it is that they are trying to vote illegally.

5. Ralph Deeds profile image64
    Ralph Deedsposted 12 years ago

Requiring I.D. is one thing. For years documents such as a utility bill or bank statement sufficed. But requiring a specified photo I.D. such as a driver's license or specified state issued photo I.D. which requires payment of a fee, in some states as high as $20, and which may require someone to travel to a secretary of state's office to get one is quite close to a return to the outlawed poll tax which was used in the South to discourage African Americans from voting probably is unconstitutional or at least a Voter Rights Act of 1964. (I don't claim to be a constitutional law scholar.)

Requiring a photo I.D. and other unnecessary requirements is a thinly disguised Republican effprt to discourage voting by groups which are likely to vote for Democratic candidates--blacks and other minorities, the elderly, non-drivers, students and others. Voting fraud is not a significant problem according to everything I've read. This is true because there is no financial incentive for an individual who is not eligible to vote. The real problem is that too few people bother to vote. What is needed to improve our elections are measures to make it easier, not harder for eligible citizens to vote.

1. MrMaranatha profile image72
      MrMaranathaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Their could be Voter ID Cards made available to those "Minorities and Elders etc" free of charge... but they should be forced to prove who they are before being given one.  The Logic of poor unfortunate Dems who would be victimized is a lark.

2. 34th Bomb Group profile image60
      34th Bomb Groupposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm coming up on "elderly" pretty darn fast & I would not object to having to obtain yet another photo ID in order to vote. It will go in my wallet with the driver license, work ID & carry permit.
      Anyone who complains sure doesn't vote for th

6. profile image0
    pcoachposted 12 years ago

Photo IDs are common sense and they are certainly constitutional.  You would have to be an Idiot to think otherwise.  Voter fraud is prevalent in the democrat party because they cannot win otherwise. How about the four democrat politicians in Indiana who recently were convicted for their part in voter fraud during the 2008 primary regarding Hilary Clinton and Obama? ACORN in Nevada also comes to mind. Countless others. There are groups aplenty who will actually pick these folks up at their homes, drive them to their voting registration place which is NOT necessarily the Secretary of State (ridiculous) but more likely a county office located not far from their homes. These groups will actually pay the fees for the poor and elderly and others.  To imagine that just any stupid fool can show up and vote, I just can't think of anything more stupid. But it is the democrat way. They can't get the illegal immigrant votes if illegals have to produce ID. Not to mention  the thousands, yes folks, thousands in every state, of dead people voting.  Voter fraud is at its all time high since 2008 and I place that statistic on the backs of every democrat. Once upon a time the democrat party was a good and decent party. Now it is not. Simple as that.

And frankly, if there were a requirement for people on welfare to have a photo ID, how much you wanna bet those folks would have a photo ID in a quick minute. Not all states have that requirement. Simply amazing the cons that the democrats will use to sway voters. Simply amazing and sickening.

7. Sullen91 profile image71
    Sullen91posted 12 years ago

Do you think constitutional rights matter anymore?
    Do you think it's constitutional for U.S. citizens to be killed without a chance to defend themselves in a court of law?
    Do you think it's constitutional to declare the U.S. a battleground and authorize military detentions of U.S. citizens without any charges, for an indefinite period of time, possibly for life?

In a nation that presupposes it is the only free nation for all intents and purposes, where is the freedom?

Is it In the hands of agents who have the freedom to choose who will be detained and who won't.

8. 34th Bomb Group profile image60
    34th Bomb Groupposted 12 years ago

You need I.D. to drive, drink go to your gym, cash a check, etc. etc.
    Whoever thinks Voter Fraud is "minuscule" doesn't know what they're talking about.
    I've been called in to roust double, triple dippers. Election Day is a VERY busy day for Law Enforcement.
    Gimme a break - minuscule my patootie.

9. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 12 years ago

No, it assures people who have the right to vote get to vote and that no one is casting a vote on behalf of his spouse, sibling, etc.

It is not an invasion of privacy. It just confirms that the person standing there is the person who is actually entitled to vote.

10. kmaskreations profile image57
    kmaskreationsposted 12 years ago

Many years ago when I first voted, I was amazed that all they asked for was my name and address. I thought , "Aren't you going to ask for me to prove I am who I say I am???"  The method of not showing ID is archaic and invites fraud.  I've never been able to understand the leniency concerning something so important!

11. cperuzzi profile image91
    cperuzziposted 12 years ago

For voting?  No.  You should have ID to not only show the voting center that you're you, but to also insure that a candidate is does not get two votes from you.

For anything else?  Yeah, I do.  I don't want to live in a country that will insist on asking me for "my papers" at any given moment.

12. MrsLWarner profile image65
    MrsLWarnerposted 11 years ago

What's wrong with showing your license to vote? You have to prove you're at least 18 right? I do not think this is wrong. If your not showing your ID is it possible for you to go to multiple places to vote? I think it's 100% constitutional.

13. MrMaranatha profile image72
    MrMaranathaposted 11 years ago

Not only do I think you should be forced to prove your Right to vote by Identification.. But I also believe that the Candidates should be forced show their illegibility for the position as well.

14. tamarawilhite profile image86
    tamarawilhiteposted 11 years ago

No. In fact, requiring identification is essential to stopping voter fraud, which is a violation of the rights of all the other voters. If someone else votes in your name due to lack of ID, it violates your rights. If there is wide spread voter fraud that shifts the vote total to someone the majority did not want, it is a crime against the whole population.
    It is insane to need more ID to get on an airplane or buy beer than to vote.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)