To my fellow educators out there, which part of your job do you find the most ch

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (13 posts)
  1. sriparna profile image81
    sriparnaposted 11 years ago

To my fellow educators out there, which part of your job do you find the most challenging?

I find the reporting time the most challenging, though I love corrections as I get to know whether the students got the idea which I had tried to teach them. But somehow reporting is so much stressful as in our school, we write profiles for each student regarding their progress. What about you?

2. lilalollie profile image81
    lilalollieposted 11 years ago

For me the most challenging is that all students understand what I am trying to explain. Some need another kind of explanation or assignment then others. I also like to illustrate every subject with a video or a lab.

I don't have to write profiles about students, I think mine are a little bit older (12-18 years) and I only teach biology, no other subjects.

Greets and good luck!
    Lilalollie

sriparnaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

We write profiles for students of all age groups, even 12-18 years. I can understand, different teaching styles work with different learners, that is challenging, you are making a great effort! Thanks!

3. nurseleah profile image82
    nurseleahposted 11 years ago

I get annoyed with the amount of time it takes to grade papers. Our program requires specific paperwork for each course, and in mine each week I have to grade about sixteen 15-20 page papers, plus exams, quizzes, etc. I spend so much time grading outside of work hours, and of course, I don't get paid for that time.

I don't have to write profiles, and I'm not sure what that means. My students are nursing students at the college level.

We have to write each student's progress in the subjects we teach every term, when we report to the parents, those we call student profiles. I know, too much of grading takes away the joy of this profession at times, thanks!

2. theliz profile image60
      thelizposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wouldn't it be nice to earn wages that reflected the actual time it takes to be an effective teacher? It's no wonder there is a lack of creativity in edu today, everyone is swamped trying to get the basics out of the way with zero time or resource.

4. hazeleyedbeauty profile image78
    hazeleyedbeautyposted 11 years ago

Making the parents happy i find most challenging. Parents can really be demanding of you in ways that you just cant help them with. I would have to say dealing with the lack of supplies can be right up there as well.

I can understand, dealing with parents is one of the most challenging tasks indeed! Thanks!

5. profile image0
    Garifaliaposted 11 years ago

I agree about reporting. What's difficult for me often is pin pointing the individual student's problem; I'm at a loss for words sometimes. But what I find more challenging than that is making sure that the way I teach, I cater to all types of learners (especially ones with learning difficulties). I lose lots of sleep over that during the school year. It makes me feel quite incompetent.

Don't feel incompetent, we are on the same boat, reaching each and every student in class is challenging as well as rewarding for teachers! You are making a great effort! Thanks!

2. profile image0
      Garifaliaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I thank you.

6. profile image57
    travelingwriterposted 11 years ago

As I teach in a language institute at the moment rather than in a traditional school setting, I find that sometimes teaching the target language without referencing the native language can be difficult. I speak Spanish nearly fluently and that's the native language where I teach. Sometimes, trying to come up with ways to explain different grammar points or meanings of words can be very interesting when students are learning something new. It definitely involves acting a lot of the time!

I can understand your situation, I had taught ESL in Japan for two years and found the same problems, I had learnt the conversational Japanese but a lot of gestures and actions entailed in my teaching too, thanks!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)