Could you donate an organ while you are still alive?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (17 posts)
  1. aDayInMyLife1 profile image90
    aDayInMyLife1posted 11 years ago

Could you donate an organ while you are still alive?

Humans can live with one kidney, and can survive even after donating part of their liver or lung. This is a bit different than being an organ donar, where they take your organs after you are dead. Could you donate your organs while living, and sacrifice some quality of life, but potentially save the life of another?

2. naeemebrahimjee profile image63
    naeemebrahimjeeposted 11 years ago

Simple answer is yes because like you said you can give away a kidney.

Other then that though there are no organs you can completely remove and give away and live a normal life. If you give away an organ you will need one to replace it.

It is possible, but very difficult to survive with one lung....so i wouldn't really say that was a realistic option.

3. Woody Marx profile image68
    Woody Marxposted 11 years ago

I suspect there are a number of people who have donated their brains while they are still alive, especially among celebrities. 

Personally I wouldn't mind donating my hair to science while I am still alive, so long as they gave me some new hair in return that was more manageable.

I'd also donate my excess-fat if anyone wants it and wouldn't even ask for a receipt. They are welcome to it.

1. tussin profile image57
      tussinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am currently in need of a brain. Paris Hilton's will do.

2. profile image51
      frumpletonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I'd like a really smart brain like Einstein's

4. Alma Cabase profile image58
    Alma Cabaseposted 11 years ago

It depends on the organ. You'll definitely die if your heart is taken out and transferred to another body.

1. aDayInMyLife1 profile image90
      aDayInMyLife1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Assuming you will still live but the quality of your life wouldn't be as great.

5. novascotiamiss profile image71
    novascotiamissposted 11 years ago

I would definitely consider this if a person that is close to me depended on it and I would still have a good quality of life after the donation. I have signed up as an organ donour after death and I feel that everybody should do that. I also used to donate blood regularly but had to give up for health reasons.

6. profile image0
    Garifaliaposted 11 years ago

There's a very interesting commercial here in Greece to promote oragan donating and it goes like this:

doctor: "How do you feel about organ donating?"
    patient: "I'm not against it at all....but I'm just not at the point where I can donate, yet."
    doctor: "Well, that's alright. [silence] Your test results came in and you need to have a transplant."

I often place myself in that position, but still it's a scary idea. If it were for a loved one, however, I'd do it at the blink of an eye.

Is that selfish? It may be....but I think it's to be expected.

7. sweetie1 profile image49
    sweetie1posted 11 years ago

As you rightly put that you can donate one kidney. As doctors say, you don't need two kidneys as one kidney would serve you just fine. Two kidneys are there so that in case one is destroyed by some disease or trauma then second can keep you alive. Same way you can donate a part of liver too. Liver has high regenerative powers and it can regenerate quickly.

8. padmendra profile image49
    padmendraposted 11 years ago

Donating part of your body like kidney, liver or lung happens in two  conditions - one  the person critically is  in need of ,money or one of your loves ones needs life. Even selling of human organs is noticed  for  getting money by the people of low incomde though it is prohibited by law. When one kidney is donated, the donating person  can live comfortably with just one kidney. But no doubt the quality of life decreases which is a bitter truth. I would certainly do it  to save life of my loved one but it depends on the advice of a doctor to see that the donating part is free from any  infection. .

9. tussin profile image57
    tussinposted 11 years ago

People do this for family and close friends all the time, but it would be weird to be a living donor for the general public. 

What if you donated a kidney but then you got seriously injured and your only remaining kidney was compromised? You wouldn't have a back-up kidney. Or what if your sibling got sick and needed a kidney, but you had already donated one to a stranger previously? Now your sibling is out of luck.  I think this is why people wait until they are dead to donate their organs to strangers. Family first.

1. profile image51
      frumpletonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I agree

10. Trish303 profile image72
    Trish303posted 11 years ago

Yes I could if it was a family member or a friend, or a child, and maybe more. I cloud not stand by a watch some I cared for or a child die if I know i cloud help.

11. peachpower profile image60
    peachpowerposted 11 years ago

I could and would, assuming I met the criteria to do so. There is no way I could stand to watch someone I love suffering if I have a way to stop it.

My father has CLL (he's in complete remission now, thank god), and I was asking about getting tested to find out if I was a match for a bone marrow transplant if it came to that. Turns out that a.) HE didn't meet the criteria, and neither do I because I have ulcerative colitis, which is an autoimmune disorder. However, I think in the case of a different organ, like a kidney, or a lobe of my liver/lung, they can use it since it's not producing faulty stem cells.

I would be thrilled to give someone their life, or a better quality of life. Absolutely.

12. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 11 years ago

The living can donate a kidney, part of a liver, bone marrow and possibly a cornea, if the optic nerve to the eye is damaged and there is no sight in the eye. The laws probably vary from state to state.

13. profile image51
    frumpletonposted 7 years ago

I think you can donate but I think it's illegal to sell an organ.  The government owns us, after all.  They don't care if you give away a kidney or something when you're dead (might not be healthy enough to survive the transplant, since it's from a corpse) but if it's from the living, they'd probably want you to pay taxes or social security on it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)