How many pairs of twins do you know personally?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (21 posts)
  1. dazzlede profile image60
    dazzledeposted 11 years ago

How many pairs of twins do you know personally?

And what percentage of them do you find are actually not so similar to each other in personality. I have had the chance to to know 3 pair of twins very closely (2 fraternal and 1 identical) and have found that 1 twin dominates the other and they do have very different personalities.

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

I know of my Brother and sister, My two cousins, and my late Grandmother and her sister.

1. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 11 years agoin reply to this

And I forgot about two more sets of cousins. Senior moment.

3. Rosana Modugno profile image73
    Rosana Modugnoposted 11 years ago

Only one set; my cousins, not identical, very different to one another.

4. lupine profile image65
    lupineposted 11 years ago

I know 3 pairs of twins, all fraternal. 1) male cousins they are very different in personality, one has been in trouble a few times. 2) nieces, also very different one is quiet the other outgoing. 3) female friends of the family in their late 60's who have very different personalities in the way they dress, one is kinder the other bossy, but they both talk a lot.

dazzledeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am currently flatting with 2 sisters. But both have such a literal unhygienic and dirty feeling about them that rather than coming to some horrible argument with them, I am looking for another place and peace of mind.

2. lupine profile image65
      lupineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

dazzlede - You are doing the right thing...arguing never solves anything. I'll pray for you to find a  new place and "peace of mind".

5. freecampingaussie profile image60
    freecampingaussieposted 11 years ago

I know a few sets of twins ,  the one set has one white girl -the other is maori in New Zealand ! Another  I was a nanny for were identical , their hair was cut diferent to tell them apart ! I think if you know twins try get them diferent presents as one boy told me if his brother opened his present first it spoilt it for him as they always got the same gift which he hated , wanted diferent presents from his brother.
    They had diferent personalities.

1. lupine profile image65

They could have opened their gifts at the same time...just because they are twins doesn't mean they have to get the same present.

6. bankscottage profile image92
    bankscottageposted 11 years ago

We have friends with twin girls who were so identical at birth they had to paint a toe nail on each girl a different color to tell them apart.  My best friend in high school had at twin sister (fraternal twins).  I know identical twins that are both Catholic priests.  But, the most infuential set of twins on my life were my mother and her identical twin sister.  Both were like a mother to me (and each had different personalities).  My mother died about 5 years ago and my aunt died last week at the age of 87.

1. lupine profile image65

It was like having 2 mothers for you...you may be one of the lucky few to still be able to see your mother's likeness after she was gone.  Sorry to hear of the most recent passing of your aunt.

2. dazzlede profile image60

I agree with lupine. It must have been an amazing experience to have 2 such wonderful people in your life.
      So sorry for your recent loss.

3. lupine profile image65

bankscottage - I have a sister a year older, when we were in high school we would get asked a lot if we were twins, even today people think we look very similar.

7. ChitrangadaSharan profile image91
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 11 years ago

I am tempted to answer this question, being mother of twins myself --a boy and a girl--and they are not identical. In fact, my daughter resembles more to her elder brother, that is my eldest son, three years older to the twins. They are all grown up and well settled in their jobs.
    Coming to your question, since childhood they have  had different personalities, different skills and interests. They had inclination for different subjects, while at school. They have similarities, as brother-sister do have and dissimilarities as siblings have, in their physical features, habits etc. Only one thing is common, the two of them are close to each other and are happy in each other's company. Both are equally attached to their elder brother. They do have their own set of friends. This I was particular about, when they were kids. I wanted them to mix with others and not just among themselves. So I requested their teachers to keep them in different sections.

8. miakouna profile image69
    miakounaposted 11 years ago

I know a few sets of twins and their are completely different from each other. Many tthink that it is cute to dress their twins the same, have them look identical, but that affects them down the road more than parents could imagine.

I was really good friends with a set of twins through my high school days and their parents tried to make them dress the same. They told me that it caused too much rivalry between them because they were treated as two-halfs of a whole person. So, if one made a mistake, the other did as well. If one accomplished something, the other got the credit.

You have  brought up an important point there miakouna. How the twins are treated during their childhood fuels their burning for individuality more than others.

9. TeachableMoments profile image70
    TeachableMomentsposted 11 years ago

I know a few sets of twins. Each pair has completely different personalities. You would never know they come from the same family, but they are incredibly close.

10. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 11 years ago

I personally know 8 sets of twins:

my nephews -identical
    my cousins - identical, female
    sisters of my brother-in-law -identical
    friends at church - identical, female
    friends at tai chi class - identical, female
    3 sets of police officers I've debriefed/counseled during my tenure as an EAP counselor - all identical, two male sets, one female set

WOW, I had know idea :-) Thanks for asking.

Oh my! This is the highest number yet. It must be amazing to personally know so many twins, and 3 sets of police officers! Ha, ha that sure must scare some runaway people, as if they have started seeing double. smile

11. algarveview profile image73
    algarveviewposted 11 years ago

Well, I know my twins, plus three of four more pairs... But I think it's easier to talk about mine, since they are the ones I know best and the fact is I find it surprising how different they are, I never expected that, I thought they would be similar, but on the contrary what one is, the other isn't and vice versa... One is more art driven, so is about abstract, etc, the other likes order, one loves hugs and kisses, the other runs from it, if I want one to do something I have be very firm, but with the other I have to be very sweet about it... and one of them kind of bosses the other around... It's amazing actually...

Why don't you write a hub about some of their memorable moments of childhood? It'll be interesting to read I am sure.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)