Do you ever regret becoming a writer?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)
  1. M. T. Dremer profile image85
    M. T. Dremerposted 11 years ago

Do you ever regret becoming a writer?

This might sound like a silly question because I think all of us value our writing, but there is no question that writing is an often unforgiving profession. Whether you publish traditionally, or by yourself, it's always an uphill battle to make a living with your passion. I've been told repeatedly that writers 'shouldn't quit their day job', which is sad because I hate my day job. So, try not to think of this question through the lens of your work, but rather, where writing has or hasn't taken you in life.

2. MamaTschet profile image59
    MamaTschetposted 11 years ago

I write as a release, not as a profession, so - NO I do not regret it.  Only recently have I put things on the internet for others to read.  Before it was for my personal sanity to put things on paper.

3. Blond Logic profile image93
    Blond Logicposted 11 years ago

Do I regret it, no. I feel that I have found a channel that I may finally say, "Yes, I have created this and people like it."  Working for a paycheck is fine but to create something that is lasting and can continue to touch or help people is magical.
    I don't feel like I have the time currently to devote as much as I should to writing.
    I will say that I am relearning English. Writing has given me a new appreciation for English and I try and expand my vocabulary within my articles.The language we speak is not always the language we use to  write. This is definitely keeping the gray matter working.

4. C.V.Rajan profile image58
    C.V.Rajanposted 11 years ago

I don't, but many of my readers perhaps do!

5. bworthington profile image61
    bworthingtonposted 11 years ago

Never.  If anything, I regret not making the leap sooner. 

That said, I have not yet reached the point where I can sustain myself completely with my words, but I consider it a worthy aspiration.  The journey that going back to being a wordsmith has taken me is one of self discovery and self expression.  It is, at the same time, an internal and external process that has allowed me to share the discovery of my inner me with the world at large.

It has led me to continue my quest for knowledge, and has led me to the realization that education doesn't have to be institutionalized to be valuable.  This writer's journey, though just beginning in this incarnation is one of the most thrilling endeavors I have undertaken in a long time.

And if I never get rich off of the money I make doing this, the fact that writing helps me maintain my sanity makes the entire journey worthwhile.

6. Max Shelley profile image59
    Max Shelleyposted 11 years ago

I write for more of a hobby than for the money, though I've won a few contests, I'm also studying law enforcement to become a cop, but the only hobby I've regretted is video gaming and I've made it so I don't regret it anymore.

7. profile image0
    Jennifer Angelposted 11 years ago

Heck NO!

I love it when I wake from slumber with this great idea for a book and write it down quick, least I forget about it! xD Being a writer allows me time to adjust my real feelings about everything. I am able to open up and pen mean notes about something some friend said or my mother said and then, I have the ability to shred it. What else can you ask for? You can't be instantly a super duper writer, it takes time to develop who your voice is, when you write.

As an undergraduate student I hired myself out to write articles for $5 each one, then I started getting work of mouth and became the highest paid American writer, writing the Queen's English. (Go figure)!! I am a contract hire now, as well as a paid adjunct at two online Universities. I love writing and have experienced all sides of the writing world. From Copy Editor, proof reader to spin writer.

I even have children's books, currently unpublished but in the works of finding a good place to publish with, may even opt for Kindle Self Publishing.

While I started as a writer and am still employed in a day job, its best for you to search out positions based on your knowledge. You want to go far writing, you have to be better than the next writer. Write short works, subscribe to Writing for Dollars (Dan Case) and learn the ins and outs of being really good.

Dedication, most don't have it, few do and those who get published all the time have diligently worked their tails off to be so.

Write every day, regardless of what you are doing, carry a small journal with you where ever you go, write it down, play with it and one day you may have the piece that lets you end your "day job" to peruse your happiness in writing.

Never, let anyone tell you, you can't do it. I never look back, always forward and I am still a work in progress and I have not given up my past time, but I am still again, just getting the voice of my inner writer together. ;-)

Good luck. :-)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)