What is your opinion of Romney's "Binders Full of Women" remark?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (16 posts)
  1. jessefutch profile image57
    jessefutchposted 11 years ago

What is your opinion of Romney's "Binders Full of Women" remark?

At the second presidential debate, a female audience member asked Romney about his plans to bring about equality in the workplace. His response was that he went to Women's groups and asked for qualified applicants. His remark was that they gave him "Binders Full of Women". Was this a valid point and phrase, or did Romney slip up?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7281738_f260.jpg

2. SoundNFury profile image83
    SoundNFuryposted 11 years ago

I definitely think it was an offensive slip-up, and it reveals the condescending way he views women.  Even though it was a slip-up, doesn't make it an innocent remark.  He doesn't seem to view women as equal to men.

1. Dr Billy Kidd profile image91
      Dr Billy Kiddposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It make me think of Romney's casual comment about buying a factory in China where the women workers lived 12 to a dorm room with one bathroom and made $2 a day. He seemed uninterested, as if fairness for women just isn't an issue for him.

3. Conservative Lady profile image71
    Conservative Ladyposted 11 years ago

If that is all we had to worry about this would be the most fabulous country and time ever. Come on - who hasn't slipped up while speaking, and try not slipping up when you are on stage in front of a world wide television audience with a roomful of Media Members who want the other guy to win. This is a NON issue that the liberal press and the Obama team are trying to make in to something big and bad. It is not Big or bad it was a simple gaffe, not even close to the gaffes from Biden about chains etc....
    It is part of the "Obama has no record to run on" so he has to try to make the opponent look worse them he, himself does. I am a woman, a wife, a mother, an executive who has also been poor - he didn't offend me in the least.

4. Genna East profile image83
    Genna Eastposted 11 years ago

Actually, women's activists groups in my state went to Governor Romney and asked him to make an effort to bring women into his admistraton.  He did not seek them out; it was the other way around.  To be fair, he did hire women, although the number of women slipped to lower levels  than average while he was in office.  I don't think his binder comment was a Freudian slip; or that he intentionally meant anything negative.  It was more of a Joe Biden moment on steriods.

5. Sherry Hewins profile image92
    Sherry Hewinsposted 11 years ago

It's a silly slip-up, I think it's more fodder for the comedians than a serious issue. I think focusing on it makes a joke of the genuine concerns many people have about Romney's position on women's issues.

6. lovemychris profile image77
    lovemychrisposted 11 years ago

The comment itself is no big deal, and really just funny. But the problem is, why did he make up this lie of a story to go around it? Does he just instinctually lie to cover himself? Seems like it to me. Rather than saying he does not believe in equal pay for women, he made it sound like he was their champion.  He's very deceptive.

7. rfmoran profile image71
    rfmoranposted 11 years ago

That this is even considered an issue shows the sorry state of politics. Obviously he didn't mean a binder full of women but their resumes, which is why as
    Gov of Mass he had more women in his admin than any Gov in the country

1. Conservative Lady profile image71
      Conservative Ladyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree completely rfmoran - ridiculous that this is even an issue....

2. Genna East profile image83
      Genna Eastposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Excuse me, but no he didn't have more women on his staff than any other governor -- at least not in my state, Massachusetts.   I don't think he meant anything bad by his comment; it was a kind of Joe Biden moment.  I don’t fault the Vice President fo

8. IDONO profile image61
    IDONOposted 11 years ago

Typical Romney. Does he also have binders of gays, blacks, hispanics,Jews, American Indians, disabled, mentally challenged, recovering alcoholics and formal polygamists? The list goes on, but he couldn't bring that up because the evil democrat, Candy Crowley, would have had to stop him midstream. Thus giving Obama an extreme advantage in debate time. And Lord knows, that extra 3 minutes was going to change the outcome of the next 4 years. Anyway, it wasn't the 3 minutes. It was which 3 minutes. Like a mulligan in golf. He would like it to be the 3 minutes it took to make mis-informed statements about the response of Obama on the Libya event. Is it impossible that the president was mis-informed about what actually happened in Libya and when he received reliable info, he changed his statement? Maybe. But your facts better be straight before you put that out before an audience of 70 million. Then have the guts to scream foul when you get caught. Candy is an American too. Moderator or not, she was offended as an American citizen being lied to right in her face. Out of line? Maybe. Understandable? Absolutely.
         One more point. If he thinks he will gain more of the female vote by making a statement like " the average American woman is thin enough that a bunch can fit in a binder", he's nuts. Women love compliments, but come on. Or were those binders of a group of bolemic women just out of rehab?

9. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 11 years ago

I personally think it was just an honest wordage mistake.  It's not easy being in a tense situation in front of a world office, but it is VERY easy to present one's thoughts in a way that can cause you problems.

10. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 11 years ago

Oh. for Heavens sake!   How do people have the time or the energy or the need to do such ludicrous nit-picking?  Going over words and facial expressions and actions....blah blah blah    Fine-tooth-combing everything just to find fault...to cause a ruckus...make waves........EVERYBODY NEEDS TO GROW UP AND THEN GROW A PAIR.....  This is a race/campaign for the  highest position in the land.....our lives, our futures, that of our children and every other future generation rides on  WHO sits as our leader....how he uses his office and power to make our country stronger and better and more economically sound.....and a better place for us all to live and WORK and raise our families.   WHO THE HELL CARES ABOUT A DAMNED STUPID COMMENT THE MAN MADE ABOUT "BINDERS FULL OF WOMEN??"    I sure as hell don't....and if anyone does......they need to get over themselves....now.  We have 12 more days!   Snap out of it!!

1. Conservative Lady profile image71
      Conservative Ladyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I second that one - well said fpher48!

2. fpherj48 profile image60
      fpherj48posted 11 years agoin reply to this

AMEN!...conservative Lady!   Let's get real!  Good Grief!

3. Sunshine625 profile image86
      Sunshine625posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'll try to get over myself. Haha! My family mailed our votes on Oct. 15th. Our voice has been heard. This is all entertainment now. I truly don't understand why more people don't vote early and just get 'er done. BO for '12

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)