Romney Caught Lying Again in Ohio

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (114 posts)
  1. Ralph Deeds profile image65
    Ralph Deedsposted 11 years ago

Romney's Lie: Romney told a rally in Defiance, Ohio, that he'd "seen a story--that one of the great manufacturers in this state, Jeep, now owned by Italians, is thinking of MOVING ALL PRODUCTION TO CHINA."

The truth: Chrysler is in the process of investing $500 million at a Jeep plant in Toledo, Ohio adn will hire an additional 1,050 workers there.

Romney's lying ad:  "Who will do more for the auto industry? Not Barack Obama."

The truth: Romney's ad ignores the fact that in late 2008 Romney wrote an editorial for the NY Times in which he counseled against any heavy goverment investment to prop up GM and Chrysler. AUTO EXPERTS AND GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS HAVE SAID REPEATEDLY THAT WITHOUT GOVERNMENT INVESTMENT FROM THE BUSH AND OBAMA ADMINISTRATIONS, THE COMPANIES COULD HAVE BEEN LIQUIDATED BECAUSE PRIVATE FUNDS WERE FROZEN BY THE RECESSION....[Before Obama was sworn in in 2009, former President George W. Bush issued the first government financial assistance for GM and Chrysler.]

[Based on an article in the Detroit Free Press Monday October 29, 2012. http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti … 310290039]

1. Repairguy47 profile image61
      Repairguy47posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Newsflash-Bush was wrong! The lie is what you are trying to sell, we know what Romney said and he was right.

Ralph Deedsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's a tiny minority view. You're entitled to your opinion. Why not try to support it with a few facts? As someone said "Opinions are like axxholes. Everybody's got one."

You think I care if you believe me, I don't. Bush was wrong about the bailouts so was Obama.

1. livewithrichard profile image73
            livewithrichardposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is the first time I think I have ever said this but, Bush was right!!! Think I care if you care?

Not at all, you are entitled to your belief, doesn't make you right but you can believe you are.

2. Quilligrapher profile image71
            Quilligrapherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hey there, RepGuy. Nice to see you here.

Did you happen to notice that Ralph expressed an opinion and backed it up with verifiable data from a reasonably reliable source?

Your post also expresses an opinion but lacks any credible support from any source. Unless you can provide some facts, the opinion becomes nothing more than just more unsupported innuendo.

I hope this election is ultimately decided by the facts. Do you have any to support your claim above? It seems Mr. Romney could sure use your help explaining this “moving all production to China” gaffe.
            Q.

Its my opinion, I don't need to find someone else to back up what I think. That doesn't make someone right because someone else has that opinion or didn't you know that?

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image78
                TIMETRAVELER2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, but what you think is supposed to be based on the truth, which is what facts are.  If you just offer an opinion based on an emotional response, it is basically meaningless.

2. American View profile image60
              American Viewposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Quill,

How are you my friend/ I hope you are not in the path of Sandy.

The link from Ralph did not work, I wish it did. It could be an issue with the storm why it did not work. But I hate to break it to everyone, The Romney ad was right. The article below quotes the COO, so it is coming from the horses mouth. Now they are not shipping all Jeep production to China as of right now, just what they use to produce there back in 2009, but they are contemplating the full move. Hence why they will not be making any big investments as Ralph said his article showed.

[i]"In a Bloomberg interview, Jeep's president said the automaker plans to restore Jeep production in China, suspended in 2009, and is considering making all Jeeps in China. "Fiat SpA, majority owner of Chrysler Group LLC, plans to return Jeep output to China and may eventually make all of its models in that country, according to the head of both automakers' operations in the region," reported the business wire service.

Mike Manley, chief operating officer of Fiat and Chrysler in Asia and president of the Jeep brand, told Bloomberg, "We're reviewing the opportunities within existing capacity" as well as "should we be localizing the entire Jeep portfolio or some of the Jeep portfolio" to China."[i/]

http://washingtonexaminer.com/jeep-an-o … I9UpW9fB2B

[i]"Fiat is in “very detailed conversations” with its Chinese partner, Guangzhou Automobile Group Co. (2238), about making Jeeps in the world’s largest auto market, said Mike Manley, chief operating officer of Fiat and Chrysler in Asia. [i/]

http://washingtonexaminer.com/jeep-an-o … I9UpW9fB2B

Romney told the truth.

1. LiamBean profile image78
                LiamBeanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Then Chrysler is lying, is that what you are saying?

Someone misread the Bloomberg report. I'm shocked I tell you shocked.

"Chrysler currently builds all Jeep SUV models at plants in Michigan, Illinois and Ohio. Manley referred to adding Jeep production sites rather than shifting output from North America to China."

2. Ralph Deeds profile image65

Nope. Romney lied. Please admit your error!

http://www.freep.com/article/20121026/B … a-is-false

Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney repeated a false claim Thursday night that Chrysler Group may move all Jeep vehicle production to China, drawing criticism from the Obama campaign, which said the Michigan native had blatantly skewed a news wire story.

Romney’s comments came the same day that the Free Press reported that 1,100 new Chrysler workers will begin making the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango SUVs at a plant in Detroit next week.

“I saw a story today that one of the great manufacturers in this state, Jeep, now owned by the Italians, is thinking of moving all production to China,” Romney said during a rally in Defiance, Ohio, before 12,000 cheering supporters, according to several reports. “I will fight for every good job in America, I’m going to fight to make sure trade is fair, and if it’s fair, America will win.”

Romney apparently was referencing conservative bloggers who misrepresented a Bloomberg story from Monday that discussed Chrysler’s decision to consider starting Jeep production in China, the world’s largest new-vehicle market.

Gualberto Ranieri, Chrysler’s vice president of communications, criticized those stories Thursday even before Romney made his comments.

“Let’s set the record straight: Jeep has no intention of shifting production of its Jeep models out of North America to China,” Ranieri said. “It’s simply reviewing the opportunities to return Jeep output to China, for the world’s largest auto market. U.S. Jeep assembly lines will continue to stay in operation.”

A spokesperson for the Romney campaign declined to comment.

In fact, Chrysler is investing $500 million at its Toledo North Assembly Plant and plans to add 1,105 new workers by the third quarter of 2013 to build an all-new SUV that will replace the Jeep Liberty.

Production of the new SUV will begin next summer and the hiring process for the new workers, who are scheduled to start by the next fall, has begun, said Chrysler spokeswoman Jodi Tinson.

Romney’s comments were immediately skewered by auto industry observers and Romney’s political opponents because Chrysler added about 7,000 workers in the U.S. and Canada since emerging from Chapter 11 bankruptcy in 2009.

The company is planning to add about 900 workers at its pickup plant in Warren by March.

3. AMFredenburg profile image75
            AMFredenburgposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The bank bailouts have been paid back in full, with interest.

And though Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae have not paid back the initial investment they have paid close to 25% interest on those loans. Damn! I wish I had an investment that paid a quarter of the value of the loan.

2. Pearldiver profile image68
          Pearldiverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Now... THAT'S a Lie...... sad

I've met Politicians with 2 of them!  lol

Must I post photos though????   sad

Photos would be helpful!

2. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good thing Obama has never lied or been wrong, huh?

Yep. Romney's the champ liar.

1. habee profile image92
          habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol

3. LiamBean profile image78

There's a little more to this story. Not only is Chrysler not moving jobs to China, they are exploring selling Jeep products in China. The reason? China is now the largest car market in the world.

“Let’s set the record straight: Jeep has no intention of shifting production of its Jeep models out of North America to China, It’s simply reviewing the opportunities to return Jeep output to China, for the world’s largest auto market. U.S. Jeep assembly lines will continue to stay in operation.” -- Gualberto Ranieri, V.P. information officer, Chrysler

Thanks, Liam. Every little bit helps, or should help!

4. AMFredenburg profile image75

I hate to support Romney *at all,* but this may have been not a lie so much as once again running with a rumor without checking facts, which is a bad habit for the guy -- he is a rash human being and doesn't belong in the position of commander in chief.

That's possible, but Romney has lied, and changed his position so many times. Before putting out a TV ad somebody should be checking the claims to make sure they are remotely accurate at least.

1. AMFredenburg profile image75

I agree with you; and he's told plenty of lies. Maybe the fault is mine; I have a hard time as a human being with some faith in humanity believing that these people have committed as many immoral acts, including lying and downright thievery, as they have. It boggles the mind. And they get away with it!

1. AMFredenburg profile image75

Well, you were right, Ralph. There's a new ad out featuring the misinformation about Jeep. The man's whole campaign has been based on lies, innuendos and sneering, superior attitudes aimed at making an intelligent, compassionate, highly capable man seem incompetent and weak. I don't think I will ever forgive Romney for the character assassination he has engaged in with President Obama, and I am shocked that large segments of the American electorate can't see what a morally bankrupt human being Romney is.

5. tirelesstraveler profile image60
      tirelesstravelerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The CBS morning new said Italians were moving Jeep to Italy.  They need the jobs in Italy and its cheaper to make them there and ship to US.

6. Jillian Barclay profile image73
      Jillian Barclayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It never surprises me when Romney lies. What has confounded me from the beginning is that when he is caught, he doubles down. Is that the mark of a compulsive liar, or a pathological liar? I can never keep the two straight...

1. Mighty Mom profile image75
        Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes.

7. Credence2 profile image80
      Credence2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Now Romney getting all populist on us all the sudden. He is a chemeleon who changes his position daily. When he thinks no one is looking he tells the working men and women of this country what he really thinks about them  If the people in the industrial upper midwest fall for this, then I don't know!

2. psycheskinner profile image76
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

You know what I think is worn with politics in the US?

'The other guys lies too' is seen as an acceptable excuse.  It negates any need to have your own candidate do the right thing.

It makes a choice between two liars completely inevitable as both sides accept and defend their own lies. as justified by those of the opposition.

Let the race to the bottom begin.

1. rhamson profile image69
      rhamsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree. The race to the bottom is littered with forgotten promises.

3. profile image0
    Ghaelachposted 11 years ago

Hi Ralph.
    Do you know what I find fascinating, it's that the man/woman who writes the speeches/lies for those two guys Obama/Romney, well he must be writing for these politicians over here in Europe. They all smell of the same fish or is it that they are all tard with the same brush.

4. Repairguy47 profile image61
    Repairguy47posted 11 years ago

Thanks. That's a fair summary. Good article.

5. William F. Torpey profile image73
    William F. Torpeyposted 11 years ago

Romney "caught lying" is like the Pope being "caught praying."

Ha! Ha! So true!

6. Ralph Deeds profile image65

Chrysler is doing okay thanks to Obama.

"Chrysler earned $381 million in the third quarter, an 80% improvement from a year earlier, the company said today, as both sales and profit-per-vehicle increased during its fifth straight profitable quarter.

"Last year, Chrysler earned $212 million for the three months ending Sept. 30.

"The Auburn Hills automaker, which emerged from Chapter 11 bankruptcy in June 2009 with the assistance of federal loans, has rebounded faster than almost anyone expected.

"The company has added more than 16,400 jobs as its U.S. sales have increased during the last 30 consecutive months."

http://www.freep.com/article/20121029/B … 81-million

1. American View profile image60

Let's be honest and put things into perspective. ALL auto companies are doing well as a result of auto sales jumping. What is important to note is they are not gaining any market share. Chrysler saw the slowest jump with a sales increase of 15% netting $381 million. Compare to Ford which took in no Obama Money turned in a net profit of 1.6 Billion dollars.

Now you can keep believing Romney is lying by believing the blogs you post, I tend to follow a more credible source like Bloomberg report who got their information from the horses mouth, the VP at Fiat.

I didn't post any blogs. Only factual newspaper articles. Apparently you didn't bother reading them. Keep drinking the Breitbart/Romney Koolaid!

Hmmmm I seem to remember quoting the Bloomberg Report, I guess you missed that point.

Detroit Free Press, yea no agenda theire Got some dough to bet says they did not endorse Romney.

7. American View profile image60
    American Viewposted 11 years ago

Well Well, Look who AT Fiat made a statement over the weekend and who says the story is true.

[i] "Even the liberal Mother Jones magazine admitted that "technically, every word" of Romney's ad was true.[i/]

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government … ama-s-Side

"Romney slightly misspoke on the stump (like Obama has done numerously when he has mistakenly slipped and said he wanted to outsource American jobs or build wind turbines in China). Jeep is not thinking about moving "all" of its production to China. They are thinking of moving some of its production to China, which is what Romney's commercial correctly claimed. "

Breitbart is a bigger liar than Romney. Chrysler isn't moving ANY jeep production from Ohio, Michigan or anywhere in the U.S. to China or Europe. Rather, thanks to Obama, Chrysler is EXPANDING jeep production and employment in Ohio and Michigan!  Any jeep production in China will be for the China market.

Ralph, believe what you want. Even if God himself came down and told you they were moving some of the operations back to China you would not believe him.

8. Mighty Mom profile image75
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

Latest from Chrysler Group, as reported in Chicago Tribune CARS section.
    It appears that if Fiat IS going to put any Jeep manufacturing in China, it would be IN ADDITION to not INSTEAD OF the thousands of manufacturing jobs being added -- and that have alreayd been added (11k plus -- nice!) in the US.

So the main message Romney is trying to send to Ohioans that they are losing Chrysler jobs to China is still as false as it ever was.
    smile

http://www.chicagotribune.com/classifie … 6532.story

Bernie Woodall

Reuters

12:44 p.m. CDT, October 30, 2012

DETROIT (Reuters) - Chrysler Group LLC Chief Executive Sergio Marchionne reaffirmed on Tuesday that the company is not moving Jeep vehicle production out of the United States to China after it became an issue in the U.S. presidential campaign.

Chrysler in an October 25 blog post had already rejected a statement made that day to a crowd in Ohio by Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney, that Chrysler was thinking of moving all Jeep production from Ohio to China.

Marchionne told employees by email on Tuesday, "I feel obliged to unambiguously restate our position: Jeep production will not be moved from the United States to China."

Romney, speaking last week to a crowd in Defiance, Ohio, said that he had read a news article that said Chrysler's Jeep brand is considering moving "all production to China."

Later, the Romney campaign aired an advertisement that did not repeat the move of production from Ohio but said that Chrysler is considering making Jeeps in China, which Chrysler has said.

U.S. President Barack Obama's campaign, in its own ad, said Romney was making a "false claim" and noted that Chrysler had challenged Romney's statement.

Ohio is seen by many political pollsters one of several key "swing" states in next Tuesday's presidential election.

Chrysler has been managed by Fiat SpA since it emerged from its 2009 bankruptcy, when the Italian company took 20-percent ownership. Marchionne is chief executive of both Chrysler and Fiat.

Fiat has since increased its ownership to 58.5 percent after achieving several goals, including building a fuel-efficient compact car made in the United States and increasing Chrysler sales outside its North American base.

Romney's ad and his comments in Defiance state that Chrysler has been taken over by an Italian company. Chrysler is based in Auburn Hills, Michigan, outside Detroit. Defiance is about an hour's drive to the a main Jeep plant in Toledo, Ohio.

Chrysler as early as June 2011 had said it was considering adding Jeep production in China.

"We are working to establish a global enterprise and previously announced our intent to return Jeep production to China, the world's largest auto market, in order to satisfy local market demand, which would not otherwise be accessible," said Marchionne in the email on Tuesday.

And he also reaffirmed previous Chrysler announcements about increasing its Jeep production at plants in Ohio, Illinois and Detroit.

"We will invest more than $1.7 billion to develop and produce the next-generation Jeep SUV, the successor of the Jeep Liberty -- including $500 million directly to tool and expand our Toledo Assembly Complex and will be adding about 1,100 jobs on a second shift by 2013," his email to employees said.

Marchionne said that Chrysler, including Jeep, has added 11,200 jobs in the United States since 2009.

"Jeep assembly lines will remain in operation in the United States and will constitute the backbone of the brand," said Marchionne in the email. "It is inaccurate to suggest anything different."

(Reporting By Bernie Woodall; Editing by Tim Dobbyn)

9. Mighty Mom profile image75

FOUR PINOCCHIOS for the new Romney campaign ad.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fac … pmpolitics

MM,

Notice it is only the strong left leaning media that is trying to discredit the story?

1. Jillian Barclay profile image73
        Jillian Barclayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Since when is GM the strong, left-leaning media?

Who said anything about GM, we are talking about the media articles lie Washington post, Detroit free press. GM is not media, unless you know something the rest of us does not know.

Not true. The NYTimes's editorial page is liberal, but it's news is accurate. And the Detroit Free Press is a Gannett paper, basically centrist, not liberal. Moreover, both GM and Chrysler have said that Romney's TV ads are not true.

10. readytoescape profile image60
    readytoescapeposted 11 years ago

Always trying to perpetuate a falsehood; Sergio Marchionne, the head of Fiat which is the company that took over Chrysler did in fact say they would be moving Jeep manufacturing to China.

He has since walked back that statement by saying that only Jeeps intended for the Chinese Market will be manufactured in China. He is currently in talks with Guangzhou Automotive Group to takeover manufacturing of these vehicles. Given that to date all Jeeps are manufactured in the US even the walk back statement proves Romney Correct.

It can be surmised that this walk back is a public relations maneuver to not alienate the American Marketplace since initial plans to move were publicized as part of the American Election.

Marchionne is also planning to kill the Compass and Patriot lines.

Romney Did Not Lie As usual

Wrong! You are basing this on an article that was written based on a Bloomberg article. Unfortunately the author you read mis-read the Bloomberg article.

Sorry, but you are not accurate, it was a direct quote from the Bloomberg report. Ans serdio is not the only Fiat rep to go public with a statement.

[i] "Fiat is in “very detailed conversations” with its Chinese partner, Guangzhou Automobile Group Co. (2238), about making Jeeps in the world’s largest auto market, said Mike Manley, chief operating officer of Fiat and Chrysler in Asia. "[i/]

Here is the actual Bloomberg articel.
        http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-10-2 … limbs.html

I cannot find the article now but on Saturday another board member at Fiat also confirmed it. The reason is not just sales in China as someone suggested here, it is the fact that their sales in all of Europe and Asia are very strong.

The TRUTH is Chrysler is moving nothing from Ohio or Michigan to China. They are investing several hundred million dollars in U.S. facilities and will be hiring many new workers. Whatever they do in China will be engineered in the U.S. and sold in China. Same for GM.
          http://s4.hubimg.com/u/7322211.jpg

Again Ralph, keep believing what you want, I believe the people from Fiat.

Fine. Do you actually know what the people from Fiat have said?: 1. They are expanding their investment and hiring for Jeep production in the U.S. They may also be producing jeeps in China FOR THE CHINA market. That strengthens the company overall. GM has said much the same thing. Both companies have complained that Romney's statements are inaccurate and misleading. What does it take for you to get that through your head?

Here's what Politifact Ohio had to say about Romney's false ads in today's Cleveland Plain Dealer (rated Romney's ads "pants on fire).

http://www.politifact.com/ohio/

There's another facet to this. The Bloomberg article says:

"Guangzhou’s plant in Changsha in central China has initial annual capacity of 140,000 cars and is capable of eventually assembling 500,000 vehicles per year. The automakers will add production of a new vehicle to the factory roughly every 12 months and began building the Fiat Viaggio compact there in June (2013)*."

My reading of this is that it takes the factory twelve months to begin manufacturing a new model at the Cuangzhou plant. Since the next model slated to be built there is the Fiat Viaggio that's at least twenty-four months before any Jeep model could possibly be built there. In that time Jeep will be ramping up production here in the states to meet market demands (exports to) China. Two years is a long time and a downturn in the auto market, changes in China's prosperity, possible changes in trade agreements, all could affect sales.

So whether or not Jeep will build in China is moot at this point. Almost anything can happen in two years.

* Since June 2012 has come and gone I'm assuming they mean 2013.

2. Josak profile image61
              Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Dude the company he talked about said that is completely false... time to admit you're wrong.

I don't recall American View ever admitting he was wrong. I could be wrong.

As a published writer I'd think you'd value your own credibility and do a little more factchecking before making a fool of yourself. Read the previous comments and links. Chrysler is investing more in the US and adding more than 1,000 jobs. Marchione isn't moving anything to China. He may produce Jeeps in China FOR THE CHINA MARKET. He's not moving anything from Ohio to China or anywhere else. And if would be nice if once in a while the Romney supporters would admit it when somebody proves them wrong. But it rarely happens. This makes honest and productive discussion impossible.

1. readytoescape profile image60
        readytoescapeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Feb 28 2012: “Sergio Marchionne confirmed Tuesday he has signed an agreement to build Jeeps in Russia”

From Bloomberg: Oct 2012

“Mike Manley, COO of Fiat and Chrysler in Asia told Bloomberg that Fiat is in “very detailed conversations” with its joint venture partner Guangzhou Automobile (GAC). Manley is currently evaluating whether his company should “be localizing the entire Jeep portfolio or some of the Jeep portfolio.”

From Washington Post: 10/29/12

“To counter the severe slump in European sales, Marchionne is considering building Chrysler models in Italy, including Jeeps, for export to North America. The Italian government is evaluating tax rebates on export goods to help Fiat. Marchionne may announce details of his plan as soon as Oct. 30, the people said.”

Mother Jones magazine admitted that “technically, every word” of Romney’s ad was true.

I don't continue debating with people like you who aren't big enough to admit when they are wrong. Bye, Bye!

1. readytoescape profile image60
            readytoescapeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You mean people that disprove your false assertions.

11. Ralph Deeds profile image65

ROMNEY'S PANTS ARE ON FIRE!!

GM and Chrysler call Romney out on his lying TV ads in Ohio which are likely to boomerang against the candidate. Here are links and exerpts from articles in this morning's Detroit Free Press and New York Times.

http://www.freep.com/article/20121026/B … |FRONTPAGE

"Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney repeated a false claim Thursday night that Chrysler Group may move all Jeep vehicle production to China, drawing criticism from the Obama campaign, which said the Michigan native had blatantly skewed a news wire story.

"Romney’s comments came the same day that the Free Press reported that 1,100 new Chrysler workers will begin making the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango SUVs at a plant in Detroit next week. ..."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/31/us/po … f=politics

"2 American Automakers Rebut Claims by Romney
    By JIM RUTENBERG and JEREMY W. PETERS
    Published: October 30, 2012

" TOLEDO, Ohio — Mitt Romney’s latest advertising campaign suggesting that the auto bailout recipients Chrysler and General Motors were shifting jobs to China drew him into a public argument with top executives at both companies, who condemned the advertisements as false on Tuesday.

“The ad is cynical campaign politics at its worst,” Greg Martin, a spokesman for General Motors, said in an interview late Tuesday. “We think creating jobs in the U.S. and repatriating profits back in this country should be a source of bipartisan pride.”

"General Motors was pulled into the fray on Tuesday after Mr. Romney began running a new radio advertisement in which an announcer says, “Barack Obama says he saved the auto industry, but for who, Ohio or China?”

"It went on to say that General Motors and Chrysler were planning to increase the number of cars they manufacture in China: “What happened to the promises made to autoworkers in Toledo and throughout Ohio?”

"It was a variation on a television ad running here that reports that Chrysler, which produces Jeeps here, is planning to “return Jeep output to China.”

"The spot has been widely criticized for leaving the misleading impression that Chrysler is planning to shift jobs here in Toledo to China. In fact, Chrysler says that it is discussing new plants for sales in China that do not affect American hiring, and that it is adding workers in Toledo. The spot earned a “Pants on Fire” designation from the fact-checking site Politifact. .."

12. Mighty Mom profile image75

So what is the problem here? Not believing the source of the information because only the "liberal" media is picking it up?
    How about "News Track INDIA?"
    Is that a satisfactory, reasonably unbiased source?

Is the problem that the president of Fiat which now owns Chrysler is Italian?
    And/or that he has said Fiat DOES plan to manufacture SOME Jeeps in China to reopen that market?
    ADDING manufacturing capabilities in China is a far, far cry from MOVING manufacturing from Ohio to China. Which is the crux of the Romney ads.

Is the problem that it is only one official from a car company that is calling Romney on his MISLEADING, FEARMONGERING ads?

Well, now we have TWO.
    And I think GM states the issue pretty darned graphically:

You can defend your parallel universe all you want. But it's still not reality.

http://www.newstrackindia.com/index.jsp

Washington, Oct. 31 (ANI): Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney's auto bailout Ohio radio ad is prompting some pushback from General Motors, who have termed the ad as part of a 'parallel universe'.

"We've clearly entered some parallel universe during these last few days. No amount of campaign politics at its cynical worst will diminish our record of creating jobs in the U.S. and repatriating profits back to this country," Politico quoted GM spokesman Greg Martin, as saying.

It comes after a Romney campaign ad attacked the Obama administration's handling of the auto bailout and says that the president 'took General Motors and Chrysler into bankruptcy', Politico reports.

According to the report, the ad says the GM Motors cut 15,000 jobs "under President Obama" but is going to double its China production.

The Romney ad has been called as a sign of 'desperation' for the Republican in Ohio, who is terrified of losing in the major swing state as Obama is currently leading there.

"When the American auto industry and a million workers' jobs were on the line, Mitt Romney turned his back. Now, he's pretending it never happened and is trying to scare Ohioans by repeating a blatant falsehood that Chrysler is moving its Jeep operations to China," an Obama spokesperson had said. (ANI)

13. Mighty Mom profile image75

It's always been moot.
    Fiat can build cars in every country in the world if they wish.
    Doesn't change the fact that they are not taking jobs out of Ohio to do so.
    And that is the inherent dishonesty of Mr. Romney's ad.
    It's designed to scare low information voters in Ohio into believing a cause and effect that is simply not true.
    Neither the cause (Obama bailing out the auto industry, during which time Chrysler restructured and got bought by Fiat which somehow failed Ohions or Chrysler)
    or the effect (that Italian owner Fiat is closing up shop in Ohio and moving to China)
    is true.
    False premise.
    Dirty pool.

1. profile image0
      JaxsonRaineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

MM, don't you like to criticize people for outsourcing work, when they could create jobs in America?

Good for you for twisting this argument around so that the left looks somehow unpatriotic.
        Is there some right wing central clearinghouse where these distortions get thought up and then disseminated by the pundits and email chains?
        Or did you think this one up by yourself??

This is the classic double-bind the right is so adept at.
        Reminds me of a certain period of history when ribbon stickers stating "Support Our Troops" were ubiquitous.
        Bushco would not tolerate any criticism of its Iraq invasion.
        Those who might dare to suggest that the war was wrong were labeled as unpatriotic.

We're wrong and we know we're wrong. But we're going to twist it so you look like you are the one who's wrong.

Romney using the same tactic in his "we have to reach across the aisle and be bipartisan" line. Suddenly Obama is being painted as the one who hasn't worked with the Republicans in Congress.

1. profile image0

Why don't you just answer my question? Is outsourcing to China a good thing or a bad thing?

Nobody is "outsourcing" anything to China. Outsourcing is what Bain does--transferring work from the U.S. to China and closing plants here in the U.S. Chrysler isn't doing that. Building a plant in China to produce products for sale in China is not what is commonly meant by outsourcing. What Fiat may be doing with Jeep production may be good for China, and it may be good for Fiat. It has no effect whatsoever on the workers in Ohio, contrary to Romney's lying ads. Romney is an even bigger liar than Dirty Dick Nixon.

1. profile image0

It has an effect on the new workers that would be hired if they did it here.

Whether or not you are cutting current operations to move them overseas, or starting up your new operations overseas, the principle is the same. You are taking advantage of a market where you can provide goods and services for lower costs, rather than operating in the US.

It's hypocritical to criticize Bain for taking advantage of the Chinese market, but not to criticize Jeep for doing the same thing. Opportunity cost means these are jobs lost.

1. profile image0

Although, I admit that I expect hypocrisy from both sides... it just seems to come with the territory.

No it's not. Bain closes plants here, plunders the pension funds and puts the work in China. Fiat isn't doing that. Building cars here for export to China is a non-starter because of Chinese government rules and the huge difference in labor costs.

1. profile image0

In other words... things are cheaper in China. Great. It's ok for Jeep to do it, but if Romney say, gets hats from China(not true, BTW), then it's a bad thing.

That's the hypocrisy. It's a fact that some things that can't be done in America, due to cost, can be done in China. Yet the left constantly criticizes outsourcing, or expanding operations overseas.

BTW... WaPo fact-check said that every claim in Romney's ad is technically true.

WaPo fact checker gave the ad 4 Pinocchios -- the worst possible rating!!
                    Althought breitbart.com read a different interpretation of the WaPo fact check.

[url]http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-checker/post/4-pinocchios-for-mitt-romneys-misleading-ad-on-chrysler-and-china/2012/10/29/2a153a04-21d7-11e2-ac85-e669876c6a24_blog.html[.url]

14. Mighty Mom profile image75

I remember seeing the segment about Fiat/Chrysler on 60 minutes and thinking, "Wow. That's a turnaround!"
    Here's a link for anyone interested in how Chrysler has fared since 2009.

I have excerpted below one paragraph that may (or may not) be of interest about the interplay between Chrysler, Fiat, US and European markets.
    smile

http://content.usatoday.com/communities … has-gone/1

But the larger theme of the 60 Minutes piece was Chrysler's improbable turnaround. In 2011, Chrysler had a $183 million profit -- its first since 2005. Meanwhile, Fiat, which owns 58.5% of Chrysler, is struggling in the European slump and the combined company would have lost money last year without Chrysler's profit.

15. profile image0
    JaxsonRaineposted 11 years ago

MM. Is taking advantage of cheap parts and labor in China a bad thing? Please answer, you're dodging as much as Ralph now, you don't usually do that.

So now you are correcting the fact checkers on their own rating system?
      Are you Neil Newhouse, or just espousing his "We will  not be dictated by fact checkers" stance?

Meanwhile, Romney campaign is airing another BLATANTLY LYING ad, this one on welfare-to work.
      The theme of this thread is Romney and his LYING ADS.

This from LA Times
      http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la … 2674.story

Here's the gist:
      Mitt Romney’s campaign can be congratulated on fulfilling a summer campaign promise — to speak its mind in campaign ads, regardless of what outsiders said. Or as Romney pollster Neil Newhouse put it in August: "We're not going to let our campaign be dictated by fact checkers.”
      With a new ad out Tuesday, the Romney camp, sure fire, renews its previously discredited charge that President Obama “gutted the work requirement for welfare.”

It’s an allegation that many media already showed ignores the real intent of an Obama administration rule that lets states begin to try new ways to get the poor to fulfill the work requirement that goes with their welfare payments.  That’s normally the kind of power-sharing with the states that Republicans adore. But not when there’s an opening to dog the Democrat in the White House and to ignite the electorate with images of layabouts collecting government checks while giving nothing in return.

The claim of gutting work requirements in welfare makes for the second disputed assertion in a Romney ad released in the last few days. The Republican already had been widely chastised for airing ads suggesting that Chrysler, after being bailed out by Obama, shipped jobs making Jeeps overseas to China. The automaker said it actually had added U.S. manufacturing jobs, while also adding jobs in China to supply the Asian market.

Romney had raised the no-work-for-welfare claim earlier in an ad that declared: “Under Obama’s plan, you wouldn’t have to work and wouldn’t have to train for a job. They just send you your welfare check."

Politifact.com, among many other outlets, found the earlier Romney ad grossly misleading. “The ad’s claim is not accurate,”  Politifact said, “and it inflames old resentments about able-bodied adults sitting around collecting public assistance.”

And here's how we know they know they're trying to pull a fast one on these ads:

It’s noteworthy that both of the newest misleading Romney ads went on the air without a press release to news organizations, which had been standard issue for ads during most of the campaign. Why give the media an early heads-up on ads, if those thankless scribes will spend the extra time debunking your 30 seconds of handiwork?

1. profile image0

MM, come on! If you want to disagree with something I say, make an actual argument. I QUOTED THEIR OWN GUIDELINES! They said EVERY CLAIM IN THE AD WAS TRUE. THAT MEANS NO FALSEHOODS.

So yes, I'm correcting them. Fact-checkers mess up. Or does putting 'fact-check' at the head of an article mean it's automatically true?

I haven't looked at the language of the work/welfare stuff, but you're probably right. I admit that Romney uses misleading statements, and lies in his campaign. I don't think there has been a candidate in a long time that hasn't. It sucks.

But, lying in one ad doesn't mean another ad is a lie. WaPo said every claim was factually true, but they just don't like it, so they broke their own rating system.

You still haven't answered my question... I'm disappointed. The closer we get to the election, the more this has been happening.

2. Mighty Mom profile image75

I'm not dodging anything, Jaxson.
      That is not the subject of this thread.
      Chinese production of Jeeps has already been mentioned (repeatedly) as moot and besides the point.

It's a red herring argument that you are trying to put up here, and not worthy of engagement.

16. A Troubled Man profile image59
    A Troubled Manposted 11 years ago

"Let’s set the record straight: Jeep has no intention of shifting production of its Jeep models out of North America to China. It’s simply reviewing the opportunities to return Jeep output to China for the world’s largest auto market. U.S. Jeep assembly lines will continue to stay in operation. A careful and unbiased reading of the Bloomberg take would have saved unnecessary fantasies and extravagant comments. "

http://blog.chryslerllc.com/blog.do?id=1932&p=entry

"Chrysler currently builds all Jeep SUV models at plants in Michigan, Illinois and Ohio. Manley referred to adding Jeep production sites rather than shifting output from North America to China. "

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-10-2 … limbs.html

1. profile image0

Exactly, and that's what the ad says. Jeeps are going to start being made in China. Like WaPo said, there was nothing in the ad that wasn't factually true.

The ad may have been "factually true" but it was quite misleading, implying to the mouth breathers that Romney was protecting Ohioans from a Chrysler move of jeep production to China.. That's why everybody gave it a "pants on fire."

1. profile image0

I see. So telling the truth now, is considered misleading, if you have an R next to your name?

2. A Troubled Man profile image59
        A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The ad specifically stated, "plans to return Jeep output to China"

So, is Jeep returning to China? Is that factually true?

1. profile image0

Yes. That is factually true.

1. A Troubled Man profile image59
            A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

*sigh* whatever, dude.

1. profile image0

What's wrong? They used to make Jeeps there. Then they didn't. Now they will again.

In other words, they will return.

17. Ralph Deeds profile image65

"We've clearly entered some parallel universe during these last few days," GM spokesman Greg Martin said. "No amount of campaign politics at its cynical worst will diminish our record of creating jobs in the U.S. and repatriating profits back to this country."

Separately, Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne used an e-mail to employees Tuesday to refute the implication in a Romney TV ad that Chrysler may move all Jeep production from the U.S. to China.

"Jeep production will not be moved from the United States to China," Marchionne stated in the e-mail. "The numbers tell the story," followed by specific investments Chrysler has made in Detroit, Toledo and Belvidere, Ill. "Those include more than $1.7 billion to produce the successor of the Jeep Liberty and hire about 1,100 workers on a second shift by 2013."

Marchionne also said Chrysler has created 2,000 jobs since June 2009 at its Jefferson North assembly plant, where it makes the Jeep Grand Cherokee. The automaker has added 2,600 jobs in Belvidere, Ill., where it assembles the Jeep Patriot and Compass, along with the Dodge Dart.

18. LiamBean profile image78
    LiamBeanposted 11 years ago

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/317778_556963077662712_1905308136_n.jpg

19. movingout profile image60
    movingoutposted 11 years ago

The Romney campaign is so full of lies, just throw this one on top of the pile! Sad thing is, so many Republicans have heard these lies, so many times, they believe them! Sad!

20. Ralph Deeds profile image65

Brian Dickerson in today's Detroit Free Press:

"The ad, which began airing in Michigan and Ohio this week, asserts that Chinese autoworkers have been the chief beneficiaries of an auto industry bailout financed by American taxpayers. It comes on the heels of a series of Ohio campaign appearances in which Romney asserted -- evidently with no factual basis whatsoever -- that Chrysler is planning to export U.S. manufacturing jobs to China.

"These assertions are lies, as both GM and Chrysler have been obliged to point out in uncharacteristically blunt statements. Striving to remain above the political fray is one thing, but when a major party's presidential nominee starts spewing propaganda that undermines consumer confidence in your product, even the most circumspect CEO is obliged to point out that said candidate's pants are on fire...

"Still, Romney appears convinced that if he lies boldly and frequently enough, he can convince Ohioans that an auto rescue that preserved hundreds of thousands of American jobs was really the first step in a diabolical scheme to ship those jobs overseas.

"Good luck with that, Gov. Pinocchio.

'The enduring truth is that dishonesty is bad policy, and in Romney's case, it's bound to be a losing strategy as well."

http://www.freep.com/article/20121102/C … scue-blitz

The link above is what I'm referring to. From that link the following quote.

"Like most U.S. companies, Amway had secured permission to expand into the lucrative Chinese market only by agreeing to manufacture the products it wanted to sell to Chinese consumers in Chinese factories; contrary to the TV spot's implication, no "American jobs" had been exported to Asia."

In truth if an agreement had to be struck forcing Amway to manufacture products in China in order to sell them to the Chinese, the agreement did indeed cost U.S. jobs.

We certainly didn't force China to manufacture their tires here.  Likewise we have not insisted that Chinese autos and parts be made here as well. In the case of Amway there's no real reason why Amway products made here could not be sold in China. And if they are made here and sold in China that simply means there will be more American jobs via Amway.

1. Josak profile image61

No. Goods made here cannot readily be sold in China simply because labor in China is so ridiculously cheap that to produce goods here to sell in China is generally pointless.

Market forces be damned huh? I guess that's why Jeep can't sell American made products in China?

1. Josak profile image61

Nope that is precisely a market force, wages.

"In the case of Amway there's no real reason why Amway products made here could not be sold in China." That is incorrect, we can't compete with China's manufacturing costs plus shipping to sell in China it makes no economic sense.  As fr the agreement that is a market force too, China has an excellent climate for manufacture and an expanding economy companies are looking to exploit so it makes sense that the Chinese would be intent on ensuring they get those jobs, such policies don't always work but in China's case they probably will.

Josak: Pay attention this time OK? That's why all Jeeps will be manufactured in China right?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image78
                Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wrong... all Jeeps to be sold in China will be made in China.

2. Josak profile image61

As writer points out all Jeeps to be sold in China will be made in China, China has a lower wage so expecting a Chinese person to pay the cost of American labor plus the shipping is unrealistic on the other hand Americans will buy American products because their wages are higher and there is no shipping cost plus the "made in America" tag still carries some weight. It's very simple really, there is no manufacturing company in general goods that will manufacture in America for sale in China that is a business model doomed to failure.

OK. It's entirely safe to ignore your posts now.

That "Jeeps made in China" claim has been debunked in every conceivable way, particularly by top management at both Chrysler and Fiat.

A bit of sound advice if you will. Repeating a lie destroys any credibility you might have had. Especially when that lie has been so completely and thoroughly destroyed.

Please sell your bridge from Brooklyn to New York elsewhere.

There are a number of reasons why cars made in the USA can't be sold in China--government restrictions on imports, lower labor costs and the substantial cost penalty of shipping a car from US to China. For many years nearly all auto companies have followed the practice of building cars in the countries where they are sold, if the market in the country is big enough to support car production. In GM's case for many years cars have been built in the US, Mexico, Europe, Brazil, South Africa and Australia. And they have been assembled from parts made in the US in Chile, Colombia and several other small countries.

21. Ralph Deeds profile image65

Trump Jumps into China Auto Fray and is Rebuked by Chrysler VP

"Or, rather, the Donald tweeted, remarking that President Barack Obama "is a terrible negotiator. He bails out Chrysler and now Chrysler wants to send all Jeep manufacturing to China -- and will!"

"A Chrysler vice president for product design, Ralph Gilles, tweeted back a response the Free Press won't reprint in a family paper. Suffice to say, he let it be known that, when it comes to cars, Trump should stick to real estate. Chrysler declined to comment."

http://www.freep.com/article/20121102/B … y=nav|head

1. rhamson profile image69
      rhamsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What can we expect from a frequent contributor to Fox Snoooooze.

22. LiamBean profile image78
    LiamBeanposted 11 years ago

More on the Ralph Gilles vs Donald Trump Exchange on Twitter.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-AeSfaTGyJeM/UJPpV90p1_I/AAAAAAAAA3M/TPMt0bp5U8U/w930-h465-p-k/Donald%2BTrump%2BRalph%2BGilles%2BExchange.jpg

23. wavegirl22 profile image41
    wavegirl22posted 11 years ago

I cant believe how people are still trying to find a silver linning for Romney on this topic. Is it any wonder that the GM officials, frustrated by the Republican campaign’s attempts to create a false impression among voters, took the rare step of issuing a statement that said Romney and Ryan appear to be getting their information from a “parallel universe."

Romney blew it with his opposition to the auto bailout in 2008 and dug his hole deeper by trying to lie his way out of it in Ohio.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)