Do you feel that banning guns would make American Communities less dangerous?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (63 posts)
  1. CherMyOpinion profile image60
    CherMyOpinionposted 11 years ago

Do you feel that banning guns would make American Communities less dangerous?

I feel that it's not the people who have guns legally that are the problem. Taking guns away from registered owners is NOT going to stop crime, it will just make us less able to protect ourselves from the criminals who will still have their guns. Isn't this a matter of common sense?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7438579_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    Garifaliaposted 11 years ago

I believe that the problem is how easily anyone can get hold of a gun!! Another problem is fear that has been instilled in trigger happy people and still another is that the government does not look after its citizens. THE LAST is the first and foremost problem which gives birth to all else.

1. Sarah Christina profile image68
      Sarah Christinaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's actually not easy to get a gun, at least not legally. There's a 10 day waiting period, many states outlaw fully automatic guns etc, the problem is the black market. Which will never be stopped, unfortunately.

2. profile image0
      Garifaliaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Then it must be the instilled fear and lack of proper care by the State towards its citizens.

3. Jack Burton profile image78
      Jack Burtonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Why do you expect the government to "look after" you? Didn't you learn how to do that for yourself by the end of high school?

4. CherMyOpinion profile image60
      CherMyOpinionposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's our right to have guns, the Constitution wasn't written to be revised period. Those are our Rights, you let them take one of them away the rest will go down the drain. Nobody has the right to take our Constitution and alter it PERIOD.

5. lovemychris profile image76
      lovemychrisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank God we changed the Constitution, or you wouldn't be able to vote!

6. profile image0

The purpose of government is to run the country and take care of its citizens. Compare the US to Britain or Canada (education, health care, etc.) and you'll understand what I'm getting at. Some people forget the obligation of the State.

7. Jack Burton profile image78

Some people make up an obligation of the state because they need someone else to take care of them.

8. profile image0

Dearest Jack, it's when the government turns its back on its people that problems arise and swell. Haven't you ever wondered why there are so many hideous crimes in the States? Much worse than anywhere else not at war. Wake up.

9. lovemychris profile image76

It's not the gvt that turned its back, it's the people who told the gvt to butt out. You heard it: some people  need killing, and he's going to decide who. Just do it in Fla where you can claim self-defense, even if you chase someone down. NRA bought

10. Jack Burton profile image78

Yes, Chris, when a thug is in my home at 3:00 in the morning with the intent to do me and my family ill, I do not depend upon you or the government to save us from harm... I take care of it myself by stopping the invader in the most practical way.

11. lovemychris profile image76

I get it. You have the right to kill if and when necessary to defend your life... but you do not need an ak47 to do it. And you shouldn't be able to conceal and carry in a BAR. Or have guns in a SCHOOL. The rest of us have rights too, you know.

12. Jack Burton profile image78

Folk nationally legally carry in bars/schools daily with no harm. If u can't do it without hurting others doesn't mean we are as incapable. Your "right  to be scared" doesn't determine my freedoms. My hub on assault weapons shows AKs.truthfully.

3. Trish89 profile image59
    Trish89posted 11 years ago

Not at all. People will get their hands on guns regardless. People have really changed and commit crimes without guns all the time.

4. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 11 years ago

These comments are made in the same blind simplicity  as the reasons for the   real  problem itself ,   The first thing our legal system does is plea bargain everything down to lesser crimes , IF they even catch the criminal, the soft tender  touch of our perverted legal system is the real reason for Continued crime , repeticiouus legal wranglings  , activisst judges and broken penal   systems !  Guns aren't the problem People are !  The poster above IS the best statement ever !

1. lovemychris profile image76

Simple justification. Guns make it easy to kill. Add fear-mongering and demonizing whole swaths of people (the others), and you can justify anything.
      Guns need to die. Die die die...just like the victims do every single day.

2. CherMyOpinion profile image60

Do you for one second believe that if you take away these guns that the criminals are going to hand theirs in? No just millions more people will die because they couldn't protect themselves. Also EVER HEAR OF THE CONSTITUTION "lovemychris" ? Wake up.

3. profile image0
      ahorsebackposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Lovemychris , respectfully , would you then airplane fuel , highjacked airliners ,  cell phones , kitchen forks ? How about baby cribs ? And don't forget pillows ! You are Nieve if you think guns are the problem ,! And not the people that  are angry,

4. lovemychris profile image76

If I'm angry...which do I prefer, a baby crib, or a gun??? Bang bang shoot shoot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTU2Y0VFH0E

5. Jack Burton profile image78

Chris won't acknowledge that sometimes some folk just need killing.

5. lburmaster profile image71
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

Not at all. If they don't use guns, they will use knives. Think of when they tried to ban alcohol, what a great plan that turned out to be.

"James Holmes He killed 12 people and injured 58 others, he could have killed many others but his clip jammed and he had to switch to a slower weapon."
      Fort Hood. Virginia Tech. Washington snipers....Nobody mass-murders with a knife.

2. lburmaster profile image71
      lburmasterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I mean killing in general, not mass murder. Although it would help dim down the attempts of mass murder because they would try to mess with bombs and possibly blow themselves up in the process.

3. CherMyOpinion profile image60

these mass murders have happened over a long period of time what about the MILLIONS of people who die every year from ILLEGAL GUNS and the millions more saved BECAUSE THEY HAD A GUN TO PROTECT THEMSELVES from the criminal with the ILLEGAL guns?

4. lburmaster profile image71

If you take away a nail file, a knife will appear. Dangerous weapons will always exist.

5. Sarah Christina profile image68

People are the problem, not the weapons. Many serial killers killed without the use of a gun at all, but with knives, axes, etc. If any of those people that got shot by Holmes had a gun themselves, they could have shot him and saved lives.

6. Jack Burton profile image78

The three largest mass murders in America occurred without a gun anywhere around.  lovemychris would have us believe that there was never, ever, once in the history of mankind, a mass murder down before the invention of guns. It's the best she can do

7. lovemychris profile image76

Care to show me where I said that Burton? Just read that a father shot his 7 yr old son. I know--not the gun that did it. An assult rifle has nothing to do with the shots it fires. Nothing! Guns kill. Wacko's have them. 1+1=2

8. lburmaster profile image71

Lovemychris, where do you live? It can't be in one of the southern states.

9. lovemychris profile image76

I live in Massachusetts, where guns ...oops, people wth guns kill people every day. Happens every day everywhere, I would imagine. Not my business, I guess. Stay indoors to avoid being accidentally shot for self-defense. Your freedom, my loss of it.

10. Jack Burton profile image78

Chris... one of us said "Nobody mass-murders with a knife.:

Oh... wait... that was YOU

11. lburmaster profile image71

Ah. That does give some cause of explanation. That's what you've known guns to be used for. I'm sorry that you have that view of guns. Here, we shoot them for fun.

6. Efficient Admin profile image85
    Efficient Adminposted 11 years ago

I very much agree with your post.  If guns are banned then the only people who will have guns are the criminals, which would certainly make a community less safe.  I think your logo there says it all.

7. Vik Beluso profile image68
    Vik Belusoposted 11 years ago

It won't make a difference.  Marijuana's been illegal since the thirties and it's all over the place.  Banning something just drives it underground. Anyhow i believe the level of danger in American comunities is very much overestimated. The level of fear, however, is off the charts.

My point exactly!

8. Sarah Christina profile image68
    Sarah Christinaposted 11 years ago

I also agree that banning guns will not solve the problem. The gun is the equalizer; back before guns, those with brute strength or hand weapon skills were the killers and tyrants. Once guns were invented, the average man could defend himself without having to be big or strong or skilled with hand weapons.

Sure, you can kill more people with a gun, but you can also defend more people with a gun. Now that they exist, they are a necessary evil, so to speak. Banning guns will simply allow criminals to have the power and the average person no way to defend themselves. Additionally, our government--police, military, etc would still have guns as well, and if there ever came a time that a revolution was needed, we'd have no way to overpower them. This is why it's a constitutional right to bear arms. Many people forget that our constitution was designed so that if the government ever gets out of control and becomes a tyrant, that we have a means to overthrow it, if necessary.

9. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

I don't believe in banning guns... but background checks are essential.

Mark Kelly: What in the hell does it take? This isn’t enough for them?http://thepoliticalcarnival.net/2012/11/10/gabrielle-giffords-husband-to-shooter-political-class-afraid-to-do-something-as-simple-as-have-a-meaningful-debate-about-our-gun-laws/

2. Sarah Christina profile image68

@ lovemychris you obviously aren't using logic with your arguments. I don't like guns either but as I explained they are a necessary evil, unless you can think of a way to destroy everyone single one on the planet?

3. lovemychris profile image76

"As a nation we have repeatedly passed up the opportunity to address this issue. After Columbine; after Virginia Tech; after Tucson and after Aurora, we have done nothing."-Mark Kelly
      and why have we done nothing? THE NRA. Politics and $ over people.

4. Sarah Christina profile image68

Once again your completely ignoring the logic...you just want to argue your position without even listening. Go to the forums if you want to just blow hot air. All the money in the world still wouldn't stop people from getting guns.

5. lovemychris profile image76

Guns are a weapon of death. You want to phrase it any other way--have at it. Guns keep the money in the world away from people who need it, and guns allow people with rage to act upon it. That right is interfering with other's well-being. Deal w it!

6. Sarah Christina profile image68

Guns will always exist as long as humans are in charge. Deal with it.

7. lovemychris profile image76

I disagree...is that allowed? Real humans don't need to kill each other to be happy. I don't recognize your idea of being human. That is my right....!1st amendment...you know, the one you guys like to forget.

8. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

However, why is it the US only has such problems with guns? The rest of the "1st world" have a lot fewer murders by gun.

9. CherMyOpinion profile image60

UmMm, luvmychris, what planet do you live on? DO YOU THINK that once the guns are gone for legit people that all the criminals are gonna step up and say here you go. NO THEY WILL STILL HAVE THEIR GUNS its UNAMERICAN do you know the constitution?

10. lovemychris profile image76

Sure..a well-regulated militia. Not killing someone because he plays his music too loud.
      Or is the wrong one walking in your neighborhood. Responsibilty comes with it, and that is what we are lacking. WHY you want a gun should be part of the equation

11. Sarah Christina profile image68

Ignorance is an instrument of death. If you ban guns, people who mass murder will just find another way to mass murder. It won't stop human nature, is my point. If it's in your nature to kill, you'll find a way to kill no matter what.

12. Jack Burton profile image78

lmc blames an inanimate object for the sins of evil people. Reminds me of my favorite Bible verse in Genesis where Cain asked his brother, Abel, "Crikey, mate, where did you get that Glock?"

13. lovemychris profile image76

Oh Lucy!....'Splain to me how a well-regulated militia equals an arsenal that would fend an army! Or an assault rifle that loads 100 shot. Or a silencer, so that no one hears the kill.....military-grade weaponry on the streets....that in there too?

14. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Does no one want to answer why gun violence is worse in the US than elsewhere?

15. lovemychris profile image76

Robert F. Kennedy Jr: Fox News Has Divided Country In A Way Not Seen Since Civil War http://ow.ly/fWylw . One BIG reason. "Tiller the baby Killer" "Obama hates white people". And of course, the feeling among many that the NRA owns pols.No guns No $

16. Sarah Christina profile image68

@Uninvited Writer to answer your question, it's because other 1st world countries totally ban guns or anything but hunting rifles. But our black market is much bigger than those places. And it gives criminals & government all the power, no revolt

10. nanderson500 profile image79
    nanderson500posted 11 years ago

No, banning guns is too extreme and would just create a huge black market. I believe in common sense measures like background checks and waiting periods, however.

11. Jack Burton profile image78
    Jack Burtonposted 11 years ago

Yes, absolutely. Banning guns will make our neighborhoods much less dangerous for thugs, rapists, muggers, home invaders, burglars, mass killers, terrorists, white-sheeted bigots, wife beaters, gay bashers, gangbangers and anti-Semites. If that is the intent of a poster, then let's put it on the table where all can see it.

No I agree. I for sure think it's insane. We have a Constitution for a reason. That is our right for a reason. We fought for our Constitution what give anyone the right to take that away?

12. profile image0
    aebruckposted 11 years ago

Has banning drugs stopped people from doing them?

No, but they go to jail for it.....gun nuts want to make murder a justifiable option. "Ooops, it was self-defense"

2. profile image0
      aebruckposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lovemychris you've made my point: No, they don't stop doing them.  If guns are illegal, people won't stop buying them.  They won't magically disappear; the only change is that they will only be in the hands of criminals via underground sellers.

3. Jack Burton profile image78

Chris believes that police and the justice system are just too incapable and stupid to know the difference between justifiable self defense and murder. (betcha because ALL  self defense is the same as "murder" to her).

13. brimancandy profile image79
    brimancandyposted 11 years ago

I don't think they should ban all guns, but I do think they should put stricter laws on things like automatic weapons, and allowing people to buy things like a machine gun. Just look at the guy who killed all of those people at the movie theater. He didn't buy his guns on the black market, he went to a store. Because they had records and receipts of all of the guns that he used in his killing spree.

What they have to do is be tougher on people who commit violent crimes. There are people in this country doing more time for getting arrested for stealing a car, then for someone who commits a murder. Another thing they need to do is get Hollywood and the media to stop turning killers into celebrities. Again, look at the theater killer, they already caught someone who was trying to copy him, just so that he could get his name on the news.

They say murder and cop shows are box office gold. Look at Star Wars, and Avatar, some of the highest grossing movies of all time. The media says if that is true, you can also lump Star Wars into that violence category. Really? Have you ever seen anyone try to run into a gas station and try to kill the clerk with a light saber? The media, and the games our kids play are filled with violence. A lot of them even attempt to act out what they see in those games. Not to mention all of those fight shows.

If you look at America 40 years ago, it was no where near as violent as it is today.
    I think the only cop shows I ever watched were Maganum PI, Simon and Simon, and Charlies Angels, and TJ Hooker. Now there is a violent cop show on every channel, some on 5 to 6 times a day. Glamorizing murder.

1. Jack Burton profile image78

Candy... you really don't know that since 1934 there have been extensive laws concerning "automatic weapons" and "machine guns" with many hoops and hurdles  to jump thru to own one? It never hurts to do basic research ~before~ you post an opinion.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)