Can you write a full-length novel on Hubpages?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)
  1. Anaydena profile image82
    Anaydenaposted 11 years ago

Can you write a full-length novel on Hubpages?

I have seriously been contemplating on posting my novel on Hubpages. My problem is, I'm not exactly sure how many words should be put into a Hub. I have my chapters broken in half at the time, roughly 2500 words per 1/2 chapter. Would this be too long for one hub? Any advice on writing a novel on Hubpages?

2. bankscottage profile image92
    bankscottageposted 11 years ago

I think you could do it as you describe.  I have had some Hubs as long as 2000 plus words.  I believe Stephen King wrote a novel on-line one chapter at a time.  Of course, he also sold each chapter to his readers one at a time.  We make our money on HPs with advertising though pageviews, hopefully generated by outsides coming to our work through search engine results.  I'm not sure how search engines would handle 1/2 chapters of a novel, how many people would search for the chapters, and how many pageviews you would get in this manner.  Ideally your would have a lot of rabid fans just waiting for each 1/2 chapter to be released.

Anaydenaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've already got a little fan base, it would be word of mouth, of course... but I think I'm going to do it... not so much to make money, but to get my author name out there. Thank you for responding.

3. Tusitala Tom profile image64
    Tusitala Tomposted 11 years ago

My advice would be 'don't do it.'    You haven't said how long it is but I expect it will run to a great many chapters.   I commenced placing one of my own books on Hubpages this way but barely got past the first half-a-dozen chapters.  I now look down my lengthy lists of Hubs (274 at this time) and find that those chapters are spread out well towards the bottom half of my list - due to lesser number of hits - and very little was ever received by way of comments.   Just a few here and there.

No, Anaydena, my advice is make a website of your own - or get someone to do make one for you, and then put each chapter up under a Blog column on that site.

4. M. T. Dremer profile image85
    M. T. Dremerposted 11 years ago

I would also recommend that you not publish your novel on hubpages. The nature of this website really doesn't compliment a novel. The writers are too busy with their own stuff to read every chapter, and search engine readers would never be able to find it. Plus, with HubPages's idle/featured hub mechanism, many of your less popular hubs would become inactive, making it possible to only find bits and pieces that have no cohesion. If you're interested in self publishing your novel, there are a number of services on the internet that will help you do so, and market it more efficiently than a scattering of hubs. And, if you want to post fiction on HubPages, I recommend doing short stories. However, even with short stories, they tend to receive few comments, views, and become idle quickly. If fiction is your passion, this isn't necessarily the place to explore it.

Anaydenaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You have a point and a very good insight on this. I appreciate your feedback.

5. X-Con profile image69
    X-Conposted 11 years ago

Check out how I wrote my book on HubPages. Just visit my page and click on one of my hubs, and you'll see how I laid everything out.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)