Photo of dying marine published

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (108 posts)
  1. egiv profile image60
    egivposted 14 years ago

Robert Gates went nuts at the AP for posting this picture of a wounded marine in Afghanistan who later died of his wounds. I deeply feel for him and his family, however seeing this really brings the war home. Maybe we should see some of this every once in a while to put everything in perspective. There's a big difference between talking about casualty statistics and seeing them. It's not chess, it's human lives.

(For the record, I am not making an argument for or against the war in Afghanistan).

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/se … fghanistan

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

the soldier's family did not give anyone permission to publish that photgraph, and I am sure having their beloved son's dying moments plastered all over newspapers is horrifying. the AP posted this for sensationalistic purposes, and not to drive home the human factor of war. people know full well young people are dying over there and don't see them as numbers on a page.

1. profile image0
        A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

For the record A marine is not a soldier, its a common mistake and I am sure everyone gets your point! About the picture, do we need to see the hanging corpse of a victim of the KKK to know that racism is bad? War is not fun, I know from first hand experience its ugliness, and the dying do not need their last moments sensationalized to prove its ugliness!

1. manlypoetryman profile image81
          manlypoetrymanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well said...I'd make more of a response...but I'm too sick over this. I said what I wanted to say on Politics Forum Something like..."Honor the Fallen...Crucify the Media...for a change!"

Sums of beaches...!!!

2. profile image0

really? i didn't realize that. my apologies.

as far as anyone thinking this dying man's last moments should be plastered all over the world as an object lesson of the realities of war, would you want your son's picture in the paper? what about your own?

it is the worst invasion of privacy imaginable, sensationalistic and cruel to boot, and dishonors this young man. it was bad enough that he was photographed at all as his blood poured from his body, but to then take those photos to the AP and have some editor say 'run with it!' is shameful.

1. profile image0
            Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I definitely agree with you on that one Cosette. I hate to think of this poor man's death being displayed like that especially when people like their family says NOT to.

2. profile image0

Like I said its a common mistake so no apologies are needed. I would not want my sons photo spread across the AP, but he won't be joining the military either, I will take his place if a draft is ever instituted.

1. profile image0

you can do that?

in that case, i would do the same!

omg haha! i love this thread. so lively smile

sad i felt bad just looking at it. like a voyuer...

2. Harvey Stelman profile image59
      Harvey Stelmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is very sad, but this is the type of material The Guardian publishes. Not a paper worth reading.

3. RKHenry profile image64
      RKHenryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And to think he died for an aimless action.  I do feel for his family.  It's a damn shame.  Criminal really.

2. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I cannot believe that those jack@$$es posted that picture when MANY people said not to. They have no hearts those sick b@st@rds!

3. profile image0
    rednckwmnposted 14 years ago

couldn't see the pic. My brother in law is in Afgahanistan. An old friend of the family just lost a son...people do NOT become more empathetic from seeing pictures. If the family wished for pictures to NOT be published, those wishes shold have been honored.

1. profile image0

Amen! I actually emailed the ones who printed the story and pitcture too giving them a piece of my mind. Everyone should do that.

4. egiv profile image60
    egivposted 14 years ago

I understand the outrage as well, and I would be equally upset if I were his family. At the least they should have blurred the face and concealed the name.

However, I think sometimes politicians and others speak of war so casually that they don't consider what it really means. Things like this remind us that if we are at war, there better be a damn good reason.

1. tantrum profile image60
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

People should know more about the reasons behind war. They are seldom good.

2. profile image0

Yes but that isn't the right way to show people about war. Those people have the right to say NO in letting the papers print a picture of their own son DYING. that is just wrong and not the right way to remind us about war.

1. egiv profile image60
        egivposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What is the "right" way to show people about war? A John Wayne movie? I agree, they should have blurred the face and concealed the name, but war is reality. If we are willing to send our friends and loved ones to do what we WON'T, we should at least be able to face what is actually happening.

1. profile image0

Who says that those not involved in war should know anything about it? If they want to learn what its about join the Military and request to be sent to the action, just a thought

5. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

Being the father of a young Marine I did not and will not look at that picture. I have enough worries without that. But any such pictures  like that is disturbing to me whether it is one of ours or of an enemy.

Agree with you!

1. profile image0

Semper Fidelis

OOORAH!

6. egiv profile image60
    egivposted 14 years ago

I think the marines are the toughest people on the planet. I would be one if a medical disability didn't keep me out. I have the utmost respect for all of America's armed forces, but that is not the point when I say that civilians should be exposed to the harsh realities of war. These people sacrifice so much for us, but I don't think that the average American really understands or appreciates it when they talk about sending troops and winning wars. Pictures like this show what they live through day in and day out, yet we can't even bear to see it for 5 seconds from a million miles away?

1. profile image0

Does the public even want to know? We can argue all day about war and nobody's mind will be changed. But this one Marine on this one day gave his life for a cause that most have given up on, he deserved better! They all deserve better!

1. Mark Knowles profile image60
        Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

He deserved not to be killed defending an oil company's money. I very much doubt he cares whether his photo is on the net.

You know - being dead and all.....................

1. profile image0

And still nobody cares what you think....you not being American and all

1. Misha profile image63
            Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Don't mistake yourself for everybody smile

1. profile image0

Yes sir

1. Misha profile image63
                Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you smile

2. profile image0
                ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi manlypoetryman,

glad to see that you are still trying to keep this second login going, despite being well and truly rumbled by at least a dozen people smile

1. profile image0

Fail!!

2. Ron Montgomery profile image60
              Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What happened to the cool avatar?

2. blue dog profile image59
            blue dogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

gee, poet, that little red tractor's got you all over the place this morning.   like i said on the other thread, i won't announce it until the evening audience arrives.  meanwhile, go write another poem.

3. Mark Knowles profile image60

I see - so if it was a dead English soldier I could have an opinion?

And this is about him being an ex-American. I don't think you can claim allegiance after you are dead, but I might be wrong.

And showing photos of dead soldiers is wrong because no one really dies during a war? And he deserves better now he is dead, but did not when he was alive? 

And it is not about money or oil - because no one fights over that - only "freedom?" Did I get all that? lol

I would like to bet you are a god-fearing christian. Am I right?

1. profile image0

Ok, what would you like to hear? I am the worst Christian in the World, sorry can't live up to your expectations

1. blue dog profile image59
                1. profile image0

I do not care what you think you know, tell everyone what you want to tell them. Tweak your IP Tracker...sad little man

2. profile image0

I Do Hate Clowns

1. profile image0

Its probably stems from your childhood

1. profile image0

So we have something in common then manlypoetryman?

"They have about as much positive nostalgic association for me from when I was a kid as getting “carsick” on a long trip from crayon fumes!"

Thats the first bit of common ground that we have encountered?

2. profile image0
          sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Mark! You Weenee! You keep saying the same crap about the oil people, prove it or shut the hell up! And your words not good enough!

LOLOLOL

So - are you saying that you are so dumb - you do not know the reasons to go to war? lol lol

Prove it? lol

What do you think there is a war for?

PROVE IT.; lol lol lol lol lol

1. profile image0

As usual, you've said nothing because you have nothing but crap to say. C'mon Mark, the wise and wonderful, fill us in on all of Americas alternative motives expose us for the vile evil people we are!

lol lol

No - money is not what motivates you................... lol lol

2. profile image0

Prove the motives for war, just like Bush proved that Iraq stockpiled weapons of mass destruction?

Of course, we 'actually' went to war in Iraq to take the morale high ground and protect the human rights of those innocent Iraqis didnt we? Whilst not bothering to send anything other than a token presence to Seirre Leone and nobody at all Zimbabwe?

1. profile image0

How come you didn't go and help with relief work? There are lots of American charities who work all over the world, I know those don't count, you could volunteer if you are as socially responsible as you argue.

1. profile image0

Relief work in Zimbabwe or Sierre Leone? Are you kidding? They were military situations. Are you suggesting that I arm myself and fight the militia in Sierre Leone? Kill child soldiers?

Do you even know about the situation in Zimbabwe? Who Robert Mugabe is? Pregnant women having babies cut out of their stomach? Death squads killing those that dont vote for Mugabe? The intentional starvation of half of their country? And most significantly, taking the farms of all white people, who have been driven out of the country? Mostly into South Africa or to the UK.

Go and show me an American company that arranges trips for white people to provide aid in Zimbabwe. Mugabe would have them shot, he doesnt want aid.

1. profile image0

But what are you doing about the injustice around the world? I know America gives far more help than any other country on the planet, period. Our volunteers, charities, churches and our military all represent whats good about America. We sent food and supplies to countries who hate our guts when disaster strikes. We know no limit to our generosity and yet we still are blasted by the selfrighteous "friends" of ours. The British have been good allies and they are brave but there is an ugly side that is hell-bent on ruining that relationship.

Cabin-Ho bite me!

3. Harvey Stelman profile image59
          Harvey Stelmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are really a piece of work! Your bio makes me believe you are successful, who protects your investments? Your bio also says you have unique sense of humor. If it was your son, would you be laughing or even care?

1. profile image0

Piece of work? Yes, he is!

2. profile image0

There is no reason to combat an enemy on the ground unless we desire to keep it. We can eliminate any threat with the technology we posess we just have to keep the crybabies out of it.

7. profile image0

wait I'm confused...blue dog...ryan...A Texan? are you guys saying that A Texan is manlypoetryman?

1. profile image0

Thats what they are saying

1. profile image0

I am considerate with any body but you and your girlfriend Ryan, still a failure Duck!

1. profile image0

I'll live with the results...Failure!

8. profile image0

Oi vei...this is why ppl shouldn't have other accounts. It confuses ppl and makes them think it's other ppl and UGH! annoying much!

1. profile image0

I don't have other accounts! Duck is just a confused little man

9. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

I hope nobody ever figures out that I am also tksensei....

Wait, did I type that or just think it?

1. profile image0

Are you serious? Your tksensei?

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60

Yeah, what's it to ya' commie? mad

1. profile image0

Okay I was just asking....not a commie either thanks

Man, I can't believe he said that.  I appologize on his behalf.

1. profile image0

Oh Ron...do you have multiple personalites? Just curious.

Nope, just stirrin' the pot. wink

10. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

The dogfood muffin gave you away.

11. profile image0

Wow...I just can't belive that mainlypoetryman would do something like that. sad

1. profile image0

If you know him bring him around, he may be interested in the rantings of a lunatic

he is around, clown.  go to page one of this thread.  loser.

1. profile image0

He was around 22 hours ago, you need to lay off the dope...dope!

12. profile image0

And this is why I have trusting issues. It's because ppl like to yank other ppl's chains, making other accounts and all that bull. Shows ppl NO respect when this happens and it really ticks me off. I come on here and I am ME nobody else but ME and I really like to be shown the same courtesy instead of a bunch of fakes running around pretending to be someone they aren't. They have places for that...it's call RPG chat rooms.

It's okay if you have other ones just tell the ppl on here, show them respect and just freakin' tell them.

Maybe I should just stay out of the forums from now on. Just come on here read hubs and write hubs. can't trust anyone to be themselves around me so why talk to anyone on here.

1. profile image0

Hi Crazdwriter, I have a confession to make. I have an alter-ego. I have two accounts. One is called ryankett......................

.............. and the other is called Ryan Kett big_smile sorry, you can trust me.

2. profile image0

If you are talking to me I can't tell them I have other accounts, I don't! I show these two no respect because they mouth off every chance they get and run away, I am not manleypoetryman I am me. With most of what they say they offer no proof of their assertions, so I say prove I am him!

13. profile image0

Nope I am talking to everybody with that one.

1. profile image0

OK I just sent manleypoetryman an email and told him what is going on, if he cares he may jump in.

1. profile image0

You sent yourself an email? So, how long are you going to pretend to not see that email before logging in to your other account?

1. profile image0

Ryan just stop! Seriously stop! Just leave him alone. If he wants to do whatever it is he is doing then let him. But yu don't have to sink down and be rude.

1. profile image0

I find it very difficult not to be rude to somebody that has called my a <edit>  As it happens, I am going to walk away from this thread, but yes.... it does make me very angry that I could be having conversations with 3 or 4 people, and that those 3 or 4 people could be the same person.

1. profile image0

Oh, rotten tooth you don't know anything of the sort. Should we see what you have said to me? Never called you a Pussy, not that I remember. But if you really believe I am him then prove it with whatever makes you think it true! Him responding to my post is not proof, I hope he shows up and you can apologize to him for this crap, I wont require one.

1. profile image0

I would sooner eat my own shit than apologise to you. Come out from under your shell, show me your real face and name, stop fighting from under a false identity...... and prove to me that you are a real entity. Then, I will apologise.

1. profile image0

I am not asking for an apology knowing how deluded you are is pleasing enough. I can't speak for Poetry man because I am not him. Where did you get this idea anyway? A week or so ago the same bunch was claiming tksensei was someone else, I have no idea, but I see him here posting all day and night as tksensei! Is he me also?

2. profile image0

Tex I think hes going to cry. Does he think you are me and I am you? Look sweetpea I wouldn't be a 'jarhead' for all the money in the.......in the.......I don't know who has money anymore. Nevermind, Marines are braver and tougher than me I was a medic a long time ago. Look, if you're a pussy be a pussy and be proud of being a pussy, and if you're a coward be a coward and be proud of being a coward. We love you Ryan, Blue Bozo loves you more, so we don't expect you to be anything but Ryan so celebrate your identity, be proud of who you are and what you stand for. Now will you quit crying I'm starting to feel bad for you.

1. profile image0

No they think I am Manleypoetryman and he is me. They base this off of I don't know, but nicomp told me they can receive IP address from post or comments. Now Duck is threatening to expose this revelation and I keep telling him to knock himself out. I'm outside of Austin and I think Pman is in Houston so Who knows

2. profile image0

I'm so sorry Ryan that he is calling yu names. THAT is a definite low blow and shows immaturaity. *HUGS* I'm sorry Ryan... You know I won't call you names unless you are being mean to me...then a meanie head mught slip out from me. big_smile and yes that was a joke *HUGS*

1. profile image0

Hi Crazdwriter, I would be happy for you to call me whatever names you want. Well, actually it would make me a little sad, bit at least I respect your honesty and integrity. It is much harder to take when somebody is hiding behind a completely false identity. This man has also called me a 'coward', actually the whole of Britain are 'cowards' apparently (many other ex-military Americans actually say that the British are amongst the worlds bravest warriors). My only issue is that I am being called a coward by somebody who is too cowardly to present himself with a real name and photo.

If Mark Knowles or Misha was to call me a 'wanker' right now, I can take that on the chin and say fair enough Mark Knowles or Misha thinks that Im a wanker; I guess that I would have to respect their opinion. If A texan calls me a wanker right now, its somebody who feels the need to hide behind a fake avatar to attack people. That does not deserve any respect at all. Anonymous attacks are the most cowardice. And you would probably know that yourself after the other day wink

1. profile image0

Mark and Misha are clowns. I wouldn't listen to them listen to us we're the ones that love you. Whats a 'wanker' anyway?

2. profile image0

Sink Down, these two making false claims and they are sinking to my level?

3. blue dog profile image59

hi crazd,

actually, over the course of several weeks that guy has been allowed to spew hate, racism and bigoty, nightly, in the forums.  daytime as well, under the cover of deceit.   hubpages allows him to have his bully pulpit.  as has been mentioned frequently, it is because of people like him that this place will be dragged so far into the gutter it may never recover.  alter egos and dual personalities are fine, when they are handled in a manner such as frogdroppings, just to name one. they're upfront, out in the open, and anyone who's paying attention knows who they are.  but at the opposite end of that spectrum we're forced to deal with the absurdities of racism, cloaked behind fakes who would never show their real name in public.

the scorn and public ridicule directed his way is more than justified.  it is more than deserved.  hatred and racism are not games.  they are the guiding light for the shallow minds without soul.  there are those amongst us who will stand our ground against these pathetic losers, 

these problems can be easily addressed, and corrected, by management.  for starters, if someone chooses to be a part of something, then make a contribution.  i'm not talking about a contribution of lies, deceit, hatred, and racism.

1. profile image0

Thanks blue dog for giving me more info on the matter. Ryan did too about calling him names and all...<edit> I don't want you guys getting banned or anything.

2. profile image0

You know what Duck, Randy Godwin has my real name and address, where is the racism I spew? What you don't like is your belief challenged and are prepared to slander someone who is totally separate from who I am! If you are convinced that I am Manly then tell me how you got your supposed info.

ryan, he's experiencing a failure in communication.  they should both be showing up shortly.

3. profile image0

I guess forever can't see anyone elses email

14. profile image0

*sigh* nice lol oh Ron you didn't make me smile this time I'm afraid

15. profile image49
    CabinGirlposted 14 years ago

Ryan I have told you before you give credit to this piece of scum by replying, it's better to ignore trash ya know, tis what we Irish Pirates do !

16. profile image49
    CabinGirlposted 14 years ago

Ryan don't reply, the trash has been emptied, move on !

1. profile image0

Ok fine last comment from me on this thread.

And can I say CG that your picture is turning me on tongue

17. profile image0

Yes that is true Ryan I did see that yesterday when someone called me ugly. the only person who can call me ugly is ME seriously. And you aren't a coward nope far from it!

18. profile image50
    badcompany99posted 14 years ago

Ryan as a favour to me, ignore the fool !

1. profile image0

Favour to you? I'd rather do a favour to CG wink

1. profile image0

Perv lmao

19. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

No cosette I can't take the place of my son but I would to prevent him from ever seeing what I have seen. War ain't pretty!

20. profile image0

Yea me too Cosette me too. felt really bad I actually emailed the guys who posted the pic too. Gave them my two sense lol

21. manlypoetryman profile image81
    manlypoetrymanposted 14 years ago

Well...Good to see my name plastered around for no apparent reason...on this forum...and to think...the very one about a fallen marine being honored. I lack words. But, maybe ryan kett and blue dog can take over in that respect...since they have already made up their minds I am someone who they think I am...and in their own fine wisdom...There can be no doubt in their minds!

Really...if you are gentleman/men enough...an apology should be in order for myself. but then...

1. profile image0

Don't hold your breath!

22. manlypoetryman profile image81
    manlypoetrymanposted 14 years ago

Wow...multiple forums going off...somehow I'm involved in at least one rant...and me nowhere to defend my precious honor...methinks something smells rotten!

1. profile image0

You thinks? I have been defending you and I all day with this stuff, bout tired of Blue Duck being a liar!

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)