What would you do if you find yourself home alone for Christmas?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (28 posts)
  1. Violet Flame profile image66
    Violet Flameposted 11 years ago

What would you do if you find yourself home alone for Christmas?

2. moonlake profile image82
    moonlakeposted 11 years ago

Relax, Make something I would really want to eat and rent a movie or two. I would never want to be alone every Christmas but if it just happened I would make the best of it.

Violet Flameposted 11 years agoin reply to this

that sounds very much like my plan :-D I've already asked the local video store and they are open all through the holiday season. Bless them!  Something nice new releases to make me laugh myself silly will be preferable :-D

3. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

It would depend on why I am alone. I have a family and if for some reason they didn't have me over for Christmas, I would be pretty depressed. If I was sick, then I would sleep and make the best of it rather than make everyone else ill.

It sounds like you have a loving family around you duffsmom..... if by any chance you should have to be at home "self quarantined" I am sure they will still come knocking on your door with a lovely Christmas hamper for you :-D

4. Renee Abbott profile image81
    Renee Abbottposted 11 years ago

Have had to actually do this often since hubby died 7 years ago, plus his birthday was on th 24th. It is a mixture of emotions. I miss him terribly and our little rituals, but i tend to spend Dec trying to cheer up others and not pay attention to myself. I cook a small meal if I am going to be alone, in dedication to him. I watch movies, writie, draw and just about any thing that keeps me creative.

Good on u Renee! it takes the emotionally strong to have a happy Xmas on his/her own. It seems you have your own little ritual going now, making a lovely meal for you and doing things that make you happy. Have u bought a lovely special present 4 you?

5. ajwrites57 profile image85
    ajwrites57posted 11 years ago

If I were left alone for Christmas, I'd make sure no burglars got in. Haha!

Note to self: do not try to burgle ajwrites57's house during Christmas..he has a mean scream.......:-D

2. ajwrites57 profile image85
      ajwrites57posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sorry for the short answer. I was trying to be funny--referencing the movie Home Alone. :>)
      PS I don't scream--I'm ninja-like... ;>)

3. Violet Flame profile image66

ha ha ajwrites, but u ARE very funny! I was also referencing "Home Alone" when I mentioned the scream...remember the first movie poster of Home Alone? He's holding his cheeks and screamed.LOL.ok so you'll ninja fighting the burglars this time. cool.

4. ajwrites57 profile image85
      ajwrites57posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh ya the scream--haven't seen the movie in some time..time to watch it again!  :>O

6. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 11 years ago

In most instances friends would invite you over for dinner but if for some reason that did not happen. My gym is open 24/7 I'd probably go to the gym and eat something at home, watch some DVDs, do things around the house, read, and surf the Internet. Being a man that enjoys watching professional basketball there are usually a couple of games that come are on during Christmas day.
    I enjoy going to places by myself so I'd have no problem going to see a movie. In fact Christmas day is a big movie day. You'd be surprised how quickly one day passes by when you are doing things you enjoy doing. Last but not least you can always go to bed a little earlier. As one poplar song states: "The sun will come up tomorrow." :-)

wow dashingscorpoio, sounds like you will be very busy doing all sorts of things even if you are home alone for Chrsitmast! Mmm.... In that rate dashingscorpio, I very much doubt you will be going to bed early at all :-D

7. KDeus profile image94
    KDeusposted 11 years ago

I remember my first Christmas home alone. My husband and I had just separated and he had my daughter for Christmas. It was sad, but I thought about all the blessings I had. I even decided to sponsor a child in another country that day. I waited until my daughter returned to have Christmas and since she was only 2, she didn't really know the difference anyway. I think it's all in how you look at it. Count your blessings and do something special for yourself or for someone else!

You are so right KDeus! I'm divorced for 10 years now but sadly I don't have children. Indeed you are very blessed to have a little girl to love. (I thank my cat for letting me love her :-)) Let's count our blessings and do something special! YAY!!!

8. multiculturalsoul profile image69
    multiculturalsoulposted 11 years ago

I experienced nine of these. They weren't fun, but I like to think that I improved each successive year. Here's what I actually did on the 9th one:

1) I slept in. The folks in the apartment above me woke me at 6 AM. They finished the gift-opening stampede by 6:30. Their Christmas lasted 30 minutes. I went back to bed.
    2) At 9 AM, I opened THE gift from my parents.
    3) At 10:30 AM, I answered THE phone call (from my parents) of the day.
    4) At noon, I went shopping--sort of. Not much open. Did enjoy browsing several 7-11s and chuckling when bedraggled parents complained about paying through the nose for AA and AAA batteries. They should have bought them with the toys, right? The cherry Slurpee hit the spot.
    5) In the evening, I took an adventure to find an open sit-down restaurant. This is not always easy to do. I ended up at a Szechuan-style buffet ... and 20 years later, it's still my favorite restaurant in town.
    6) I'm sure I watched IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE at least once. I probably snickered the entire time. I do like the movie, but when you're alone, Zu Zu's petals and Clarence the angel don't do much to cheer you up.
    7) I did spring cleaning early, packing up clothes I didn't wear anymore for delivery to Goodwlll and emptying my fairly empty refrigerator so I could give it a good scouring. There's nothing like a clean, fairly empty refrigerator.
    8) I did some writing. Nothing major. Probably wrote a haiku on loneliness.
    9) I went to bed with the book my parents gave me and read it all.
    10) At midnight, I looked at the clock and realized, "Hey, I'm just like everyone else now."

considering that happened 20 years, you have an amazingly clear memory about it! You fared pretty well I must say, it is so much harder to be alone at feastive season at our younger days. I, for one, am doing so much better then I used to. :-D

2. multiculturalsoul profile image69
      multiculturalsoulposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Why is it we remember times we'd rather forget more clearly than those we really want to remember?

3. Violet Flame profile image66

our profound suffering digs a trench and burrows deep into our soul? while the happier times take flight on the wing tip of our laughter? Ok, now I am just being melodramatic but it IS fun :-D

4. multiculturalsoul profile image69
      multiculturalsoulposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If suffering and pain give us brain damage, and laughter and joy give us brain cell loss, why won't laughter and joy remove the brain cells that are suffering in pain? Ah--so we appreciate laughter and joy more. I get it.

9. Janellegems profile image61
    Janellegemsposted 11 years ago

I would watch christmas movies or christmas specials on TV or either go to the theatre and watch a movie there.

That sounds like fun Janellegems xoxo Merry Christmas!!!!

10. cjpooja26 profile image63
    cjpooja26posted 11 years ago

I will call my friends and invite them or watch Christmas movie and will try to enjoy.

11. profile image0
    Sarra Garrettposted 11 years ago

I've spent Christmas by myself for over 15 years now.  I curl up with a good book and my dogs.  It's just another day to me.  I know that sounds awful, but, it is what it is.  When your family isn't around what else are you going to do?  When I was working I would always volunteer to work so those with family could spend the day with them.

12. snerfu profile image70
    snerfuposted 11 years ago

Turn on the radio, tune into some Carols, turn down the lights and thank God for the peace and quiet.

13. Penny G profile image59
    Penny Gposted 9 years ago

I would head to the nearest shelter and join them and help with things, and just be a friend.

14. elenagarcia profile image66
    elenagarciaposted 9 years ago

i have never experienced that in my life.  thought there is nothing wrong with being alone, Christmas is a time for sharing and celebrating with others.  if i were to find myself alone for Christmas, i would seek out a way to spend it with other.  i would try to volunteer at a local soup kitchen or shelter, or i would contact my local church to ask about activities i could take part in, or i would call up a friend to invite out, or perhaps even knock on my neighbor's door, if they are home, to invite them over.  there are always people in need of company or something around the holidays so i would do my best to seek them out and try to be of service to them.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)