American Dream is it sustainable? Can America invent new dream ?will be followed

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (16 posts)
  1. pramodgokhale profile image40
    pramodgokhaleposted 11 years ago

American Dream is it sustainable? Can America invent new dream ?will be followed globally?

I am an Indian,still chasing American dream.Critic says it is outdated, but I say why, still it can be utilized. After WW--II America's booming economy and of course many miracles which attracted many youth across the globe especially Asia and Africa, and massive migration started in the 60s 70s 80s
    which helped to strengthen American economy.New middle class in making in India rising and aspiring. Dream is creative and productive, Indians wants to change their traditional set up and mindset too.Present global economic crisis is showing weakness of dream. So why worry?
    American invent new wait

2. profile image0
    CJ Sledgehammerposted 11 years ago

No...I am afraid the American dream has become a nightmare. Only a fraction of the people were ever able to live the dream, while the rest kept hoping and dreaming. Greed, selfishness, and corruption bring every dream to a halt.

Good luck in India...I wish you well.

3. cebutouristspot profile image79
    cebutouristspotposted 11 years ago

It will and will always be a dream.  Just like any dream goal only a handful of people got to be lucky enough to live it.

4. ienjoythis profile image70
    ienjoythisposted 11 years ago

The American Dream is all but an illusion anymore. The fact is, young people in the United States are pushed into going straight to college after high school and the majority of them have only a clouded idea of what path they should follow and the career they should go after. So four years later they have about $60k in college debt with a degree that will pay $25k a year starting out or no degree/job at all! So while debt interest is piling up and the degree that you forked over $60k of borrowed money for isn't giving you as much return as you were led to believe, you cannot buy a nice home and car because you're broke. If you have kids, there goes even more money out of your pocket - it costs about a quarter of a million dollars to raise one child to the age of 18.

The American Dream is a slim and diminishing prospect. As we all fight our way to attain this "dream", the bigger the hole in our pockets becomes.

1. lupine profile image66
      lupineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Totally agree...here in California, there is so much educational debt, not enough jobs to even use your degree or ever payoff your loan. Personally I know  a few people in that situation...another dream that turns to a nightmare.

5. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

I have to disagree with all the other answers here. Coming from foster care, aging out of the foster care system with nothing but a backpack of personal belongings, and now being in my late 20's with a family, a house, a car, and many goals to follow I believe it is possible and still a possibility for everyone.
    Sadly though many people believe the American dream should be handed to them. That it should not be worked for anymore. People simply want everything handed to them. OR they think that the American dream has to be that they become super rich. The American dream is simply to have sucess through hard work. Of course if people don't choose to work hard then they will never achieve anything.

6. SidKemp profile image86
    SidKempposted 11 years ago

In my view, the American dream was never healthy, and is now not sustainable either economically or ecologically.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to be an American, and there are many great things about the American dream. But you might say that I am an American following Indian dreams. I dream of a sustainable economy for all, following the model proposed by Mahatma Gandhi. I dream of a world of inner and outer peace, a dream encouraged by the Buddha.

I write about the long-term economic prospects of the US in Welcome to the Fifth World: No Economic Recovery Coming, and about the ecological issues in 8 hubs called Go Green.

I think it is time for a world dream, and work to make it real. A world in which each person is free, but also responsible. A world where each person, family, and community lives in balance on Mother Earth and in peace with one another. American drive and ingenuity are a part of that. Eastern insight and European common sense and African determination and Native diligence and respect all play parts, as well.

Let us become completely human and live in harmony - perhaps starting this year?

1. pramodgokhale profile image40
      pramodgokhaleposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sir,
      you are always romantic on India. In India the problem is that Indian democracy is not able to change under performing governments,they win election again and again.You always reply my question matter of pride for me.
      thank you, happy new year.

7. cfin profile image65
    cfinposted 11 years ago

Just like the Celtic tiger in Ireland, all dreams come to an end when people wake up. For Ireland, it was the collapse of the property industry, resulting in massive foreclosures. When the banks seized the properties, they were worth nothing, leaving an $80 billion hole. The government bought these private banks leaving the people to foot the bill.

My American dream is my American wife. We currently live in the US. We are happy and money can never change that. But we all need a basic standard of living and money to survive The current increase in taxes, my inability to ever claim benefits I pay for, and the massive increase in our health insurance and retirement contributions, spells the end for our time in the US. Our basic lifestyle is unsustainable and the $4,000 property tax we would have to pay, to provide a decent education to our little girl is just not do-able. 2013 will see an end to our time in the US. An Ireland on its knees is calling. At least we can get an education for our children there. But things will pick up. I hope they get better for the US too, but I guess only time will tell.

8. AlexDrinkH2O profile image74
    AlexDrinkH2Oposted 11 years ago

The dream still exists but realizing it has become much harder.  Massive government spending, suffocating bureaucracy, unchecked illegal immigration, the "progressive" undermining of our fundamental moral values, and the virtual elimination of God from our daily lives have all contributed to this situation.  Unfortunately the last election did nothing to stop the moral and economic decline. I never give up hope thought, it's just my nature.

9. CR Rookwood profile image71
    CR Rookwoodposted 11 years ago

I think some of us have a new dream and it isn't a bad one: to learn to be a nation among nations, part of a world community, not the master of it.

Included in that dream (for me anyway) are goals of 1) sustainable, inexpensive living (that would include energy self-sufficiency to the degree it is possible), 2) meaningful work that is not damaging to others (much of this will be done at home I think, independently--kind of like what people here at HP do), and 3) stronger local communities.

I've never felt drawn to the dream of working my life away at a job I hate so I can own an SUV and a house in the suburbs that comes with a three car garage and a foyer that looks like it came out of a castle. That is kind of my definition of hell. I don't think I'm alone either, but it is to the advantage of a number of huge corporate concerns to promote that dream.

I think that the conventional 'middle class' dream is dead but I won't miss it.

We'll have a rough transitional generation here I think, but many of the young people I've met make me think it is all going to be OK.

Great question, thanks!

1. ienjoythis profile image70
      ienjoythisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

CR, I really have to agree with you. The traditional "dream" is transforming into something more meaningful as we find out that money and materials does not mean genuine happiness. The quest for more and more "things" is unending. Great response.

2. CR Rookwood profile image71
      CR Rookwoodposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks lenjoythis!

3. lupine profile image66
      lupineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree too, we have been led to believe there is an "American Dream" so we kept looking for it...we weren't told it was only temporary...it was just a dream.

10. pramodgokhale profile image40
    pramodgokhaleposted 11 years ago

happy new year to everybody--2013
    i really wonder Americans spare time to comment to my question. This interaction
    among people to people and views , i found that i am learning and enriching my knowledge.
    third world people always attracted towards happy and leprous life so they migrate
    where havens  are offered.
    thank you once again to answer my question.
    pramod gokhale

11. profile image0
    Sri Tposted 11 years ago

Yes, the American dream is still possible. It depends on your personal dream. America is always open to new and better products and services. Every year new products have enormous success with the public. First you have to throw off the massive negative propaganda about hard times. Each business has their own experiences. Some businesses continue to make millions and billions every year. For example, look at entertainment products. People are signing multimillion dollar deals every month. A lot of people are starting with just a good product or an idea. Your success depends on ambition, determination, creativity, business knowledge, customer knowledge, right information, good products, sales ability and highly skilled associates, experts. You have to keep reading motivational books to keep your thoughts positive because many people have accepted the negative outlooks from the media and from appearances. The appearances and failures are effects from wrong decisions. You have to write your own story. That's what those who are winning do. Your success depends on your right choices, not the failures of others.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)