Is it possible to re-train an adult dog to use a potty pad indoors when it rains

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)
  1. JayeWisdom profile image88
    JayeWisdomposted 11 years ago

Is it possible to re-train an adult dog to use a potty pad indoors when it rains? How?

2. profile image0
    Sarra Garrettposted 11 years ago

Yes it is, but my first question is why?  AND don't use puppy pads as they are expensive, use adult bed pads for incontinenance.  They are larger and CHEAPER. 

Why do you want to retrain your dog to pee in the house if he/she is already potty trained.  All dogs hate to go outside in the rain but it's best to have them do that instead of getting used to pottying inside the house.  Please don't take offense

1. profile image0
      Sarra Garrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Got ya.  Put the pad (use the people bed pads) and put some of her feces on the pad placing it on the back porch.  Also you can put her urine on it which will help. She needs to smell where she needs to pee when it's raining out.

3. JayeWisdom profile image88
    JayeWisdomposted 11 years ago

Thanks for your comment, Sarra.  No offense. Let me explain my reason.  My eight-year-old dog practically house-trained herself as a puppy, with very few indoor accidents. She isn't incontinent (if she were, I'd put her in diapers and be done with it.) In fact, when the weather is dry or even just a mist of rain, she's very good about going potty outside.

However, she HATES rain almost obsessively. As a result, she goes round and round in circles, getting muddy and drenched, but refuses to potty on the sodden ground.  I thought she was a smart dog--she seems intelligent in many other ways, but apparently her mind hasn't made the connection between speedy pottying and getting out of the rain!  Since I take her out on leash, we both get drenched, even with rain gear and umbrella.

I don't want her to "go" inside the house, but it would help immensely if she would learn to use a pad on my screened-in back porch when it's storming. I live in a very rainy climate. It's currently been raining almost continuously for 2 1/2 weeks with three more days of rain forecast. It doesn't help that I'm nearly 70 and have some difficulty walking. These long sessions of trying to get her to potty in the pouring rain aren't really safe for me.

I took her outside nearly an hour ago, and it took more than a half hour for her to finally urinate and defecate, after holding both for two days.  Then I had to bring her inside, put her in the shower and wash the mud off her feet and legs. Now we're both dry and she's resting wrapped in a large towel, but there has to be a better way!

1. profile image0
      Sarra Garrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It will take a while to train her to go on the pad so be patient. She needs to smell her own urine in order to use the pad. Praise her when she does use it.  Bless your heart and keep me informed.

2. HLPhoenix profile image61
      HLPhoenixposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh Jaye I have so much empathy for you... my dog too, will not go inside. I tried all the tricks... Snow, Sleet, Hurricane Winds, Rain... she'll only go outside. But she does go faster than yours... The back porch is a great possibility, best luck.

3. JayeWisdom profile image88
      JayeWisdomposted 11 years agoin reply to this

HLPhoenix....Thanks for the empathy. You understand! I'm trying the back porch, but finally took her outdoors in the rain...all to no avail. Forecast says sun on Friday--YAY!

4. peeples profile image92
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

Normally I would say horrible idea but after reading your issue I can understand why you may consider pads. First let me ask, do you have a neighbor (maybe a teen) who you could pay $5 to come walk the dog when raining? Have you tried maybe putting her on a leash tied to an eye hook right outside the back door (better to have to clean poop from outside the door than inside)? In a year you will easily spend $100 on pads, so have you considered maybe just paying that or a little more to have someone put a roof extension (looks like carport) off the back of your screened porch so she'll have a covered area to do her business?
    If you have exhausted all other options simply put the pads down and take her to it and say whatever your command is such as "Go potty". Try leaving her in there for a little while and come back every so often placing her on the pad and saying the command. If she goes on it praise her and give her a treat.
    On a side note, I had a friend who had a little 3lb dog they wanted to train to go in one spot in their house. They made a 4 by 4ft box 4 inches deep and bought sod for the inside of it. They actually grew grass in this little box for the dog to go on while they were at work. It worked.

Thanks for your response. I'm trying out the pad today. No luck so far, but I don't expect it to be easy.

5. agilitymach profile image93
    agilitymachposted 11 years ago

A few things:

First, remember that it's very hard for dogs to truly get the idea of peeing on a pad vs. anything else in the house.  This is a recipe for possible indoor pee problems that could last the life of your dog.  My advice - don't try the indoor route, period.  Look for other options such as has been mentioned.  An outdoor kennel with a roof for rainy days is a great option.

I have an outdoor patio with a large overhang that is ideal for my dogs.  It's wonderful.  An outdoor dog run with a roof is another great idea.

None of my dogs like rain either, but when potty training, they don't get to come in until business is complete.  They learn quickly that if they want in, they do their stuff.  If I let them in early, then they've trained me to let them in before business is done.

I strongly do not recommend ever teaching the dog that indoors is an option, but if you must, I suggest going with the doggy litterbox.  It doesn't look like newspaper on the floor, or a coat on the floor or carpet such as pads can resemble.  It is very different.  However, any invitation to pee indoors is cause for potty problems in the future.  Buyer beware!!

I actually bought the largest dog litterbox I could find and line it with a puppy pad, which I have on the screened-in porch. She will step into the box, turn around and...sit!  I wiped a bit of her urine on a paper towel and placed 'neath the pad.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)