What is the greatest challenge you face as a Highly Sensitive Person?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)
  1. Emanate Presence profile image69
    Emanate Presenceposted 11 years ago

What is the greatest challenge you face as a Highly Sensitive Person?

HSP is an inherited trait in 15-20% of the population. Many who do not know that they are HSP would recognize the characteristics in themselves. Kati and I just published a new hub on the subject (How to Thrive Within the Inherited Trait of a Highly Sensitive Person) and are interested to know how HSP see their challenges.

2. whittwrites profile image85
    whittwritesposted 11 years ago

If you are talking about being Highly Sensitive in the terms of the way you react to another person's criticisms, then the greatest challenge I have faced and still face is criticism or even the so called teasing of others.  I think this is the greatest challenge which has befallen my life outlook more than other.  In the past settings such as high school, I have curled up and given up.  Later after school, I learned to try and take the criticism with a grain of salt and move on.  I am still affected by HSP, but not to as great an extent.

Emanate Presenceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for writing so honestly. I meant Highly Sensitive Person as a term for people who have certain traits which include more detailed thought processes, vivid dreams, sensitivity to the environment and so on. There are hubs on the subject.

3. american13 profile image66
    american13posted 11 years ago

To be honest, I dont feel Im highly sensitive like I used to be, but in general one of the greatest challenges is when you expect things to go a certain way or you expect a person to do something for you and they fall short. It can be very hard. Im still sensitive but Ive learned to get it more under control.

Emanate Presenceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It is to understand. Disappointment comes only when there is expectation. So if I manage my expectation, it minimizes disappointment. Still surprises happen, then I have to let go quickly of my fixed ideas. HSP is something else, though.

4. Laura Schneider profile image84
    Laura Schneiderposted 11 years ago

My greatest challenges are in learning to let arrows pass right through me without doing damage, and in not drowning in someone else's problems while still being sincerely compassionnate and understanding. Oh--also, I sometimes feel the prick of an arrow where none was intended, so I guess that could be called "separating the real arrows from the imagined ones."

I used to have a thick wall that I barricaded myself inside: a very small space. But as I grew up somehow that barricade all but disappeared (even though it would be useful at times). Needless to say, I was quite lonely in my small space growing up, though I knew I needed that protection because I wasn't able to let the arrows pass through without leaving damage, only occasional knowledge.

As you know, E. P., I never read others' answers first, so as to not taint my own. I'll have to see what everyone else wrote before I start getting Pink Flloyd's "The Wall" in my head. (Woops, too late.)

5. Queen of Cups profile image61
    Queen of Cupsposted 11 years ago

Being an Empath I can very much relate to an HSP but deal with far more for the most part.
    Though on a general basis, the greatest challenges I face are other people. The very reasoning for this is feeling their emotion, sometimes knowing their thoughts, sometimes predicting their actions, and knowing that there are many people filled with darkness and pain. This is a weight that tends to bear down and some could even refer to it as the "weight of the world" but overall it is the influences of others that are the most prominent.
    Sometimes it is hard for to decipher whose emotions are whose, sometimes it is hard for me to control my anger per say or my sadness but it all comes with the territory of feeling everything around me.
    Even land or buildings sometimes have momentous affects and being in large crowds is a killer because I can only practice techniques to control the flow for I could never stop it.

6. Sarah Christina profile image71
    Sarah Christinaposted 11 years ago

Lately, my greatest challenge is not allowing my sensitivity and empathy to completely depress me. I don't feel like I can control it, and it's hard to filter other people's emotions from my own at times. So I just isolate myself, because it's much easier that way. Nobody understands me. I feel the people I am around have no understanding about what it's like to be a sensitive and an empath. I know I inherited it from my mother, who was much stronger than me in both departments, she was even psychic at times. She became like a hermit, unable to work and buried herself (she was a hoarder). Her and I were very close and spiritually connected...she passed away almost 2 years ago. Since then it's like a part of myself has died, and she was the only one who understood about being a sensitive. Although, she didn't seem to think I was one at times, but that was because I'd become so devastated I'd block everything out and hide behind emotional walls, so it would seem like I didn't care but I actually did very much. I can't seem to find an even balance - either I care too much and get overwhelmed or I block it all out in order to not have to care at all, which then makes me depressed as well. I don't want to become a hermit like my mother was, but I see myself heading down that very route.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)