What are some ideas of stuff to make out of duct tape?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (22 posts)
  1. VirginiaLynne profile image92
    VirginiaLynneposted 11 years ago

What are some ideas of stuff to make out of duct tape?

We have tons of duct tape and I'm looking for some creative ideas for what to do with it.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7737379_f260.jpg

2. xanzacow profile image58
    xanzacowposted 11 years ago

My son used to make some awesome wallets out of duct tape. I don't have instructions, but you could probaly google it and find some! I found these 2 websites, one here on HP!
    http://wannabwestern.hubpages.com/hub/M … -Duct-Tape 
    andhttp://craftsbyamanda.com/2010/04/how-to-make-a-duct-tape-wallet.html

VirginiaLynneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks--I'll have my kids try these.

3. carol7777 profile image75
    carol7777posted 11 years ago

i did an article for another site about doing a headboard for a bed.  All you need is a slab of wood and start creating.

Great idea--we actually need to re-do my kid's rooms.

4. KellyG05030 profile image68
    KellyG05030posted 11 years ago

You can cover picture frames in duct tape, and they look pretty cool - inexpensive, too, if you can grab some frames at the Dollar Store.  Another neat thing my daughter liked was covering wooden letters (also from the Dollar Store!) in duct tape and hanging them on her wall.  We covered the letters in the tape and then glued a ribbon handle onto the back for hanging.  They were fun!!

5. MarieAlana1 profile image68
    MarieAlana1posted 11 years ago

You can do scrapbooking with duct tape. The Borders are fun to do with duct tape. You can tape the duct tape down on a piece of construction paper and take scissors to cut it out so that it creates a curvy border. You can even make a rainbow of borders this way. I love making duct tape roses as well!

I had never thought about scrapbooking--that is a great idea.  I bet you could make mini-scrapbooks that way.

6. larakern profile image69
    larakernposted 11 years ago

VirginiaLynne, I've seen sandals, wallets, coin purses, messenger bags, dresses, bow ties, and loads of other stuff made out of duct tape. Just go to youtube and type in 'duct tape DIY" and then whatever you want to make! Good luck!

Dresses?  That sounds just amazing.  I'll have to youtube it!

7. John Jason Hosac profile image60
    John Jason Hosacposted 11 years ago

You can make clothes, accessories, shoes. Anything that you can think of you could make out of duct tape. Anything that requires a bit more rigidity you could try cardboard and wrap that in duct tape, for sandals for instance. Of course you could always use duct tape as a laminate so to speak as well. Perhaps for a coffee table or something.

Love these ideas.  Good point about how to keep things rigid.  I'm thinking that you could make notebook covers too, and I really like the sandals idea.

8. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 11 years ago

Anyone who has ever gone through having a "rust-bucket" car in his youth will probably tell you that duct tape makes a fine fender; although if one doesn't get body work (or a new car) soon enough there is always the risk that the fender will fall off  in the street (always an embarrassing situation when that happens).    smile

9. Ps32Love profile image60
    Ps32Loveposted 11 years ago

Believe it or not, there is a Duct Tape scholarship! The students can win $5000. If you have kids heading to college anytime soon, you should check this out: http://duckbrand.com/promotions/stuck-at-prom
    They actually have you make prom outifts - both the guy's tux and the girl's dress - and wear them to the prom. You should see the ones that won for 2012... oh my! They even made their shoes with matching duct tape.
    If you aren't going to the prom, maybe you can begin a whole new fashion line of duct tape clothes.

Wow--that is a great idea.  I'm checking that out.  How fun!

2. Ps32Love profile image60
      Ps32Loveposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'd love to see what you make!

10. Junegirl58 profile image66
    Junegirl58posted 11 years ago

I had covered a can with duct tape that stood about 4-5" tall and was wide enough  to use it for pencils, pens, etc....

There are so many neutral color designs which is what I like, so after doing that  I found a leopard design tape that I covered another small can with to use for a few of my makeup brushes. 

So many things you can do, use them for a border or trim them down for a smaller edging.  Monogram with them or cut some of the design out and decorate a lucite or any other solid blank container with the left over design or reverse that idea.

I think I just gave myself some ideas actually. Good question!!

Great idea--you just made me realize that I could have my kids cover other boxes for holding stuff too.  Make a matching set.

11. profile image0
    AccumulateAmericaposted 11 years ago

With all of the new and amazing designs and color patterns. The possibilities really are endless. I would say for something not mentioned. Use the duct tape to make a wall hanging. Kind of like, in the old days the quilting circles, made quilts and other tapestries to hang on the walls. Then use the cardboard center and make a biodegradable bird feeder.

The first is simple enough with weaving patterns, and the later you spread on peanut butter, then  roll in bird seed, and finally string the extra yarn through the center. Hang it up and enjoy the entertainment of nature.

Love this idea!  Easy and fun.

12. profile image57
    Juliehauxposted 11 years ago

My 12 year old granddaughter made a pair of slippers for herself and for her little sister.  They were surprisingly durable because the 2 girls wore them until they were too small for their feet.    You can also make beads for jewelry from duct tape.  Turn the tape back on itself about 1/4 to 1/3 of and inch and then wrap it around a stick with the same diameter of the back taping that you do.  Vary the colors and patterns and you have some creative beads.

13. Bailey13 profile image58
    Bailey13posted 11 years ago

There is a book that I have called something like 101 Ideas for Duct Tape. That has a lot of creative ideas in it.
    ~Bailey13

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)