Do you wish you could hub about something controversial without people bashing y

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (32 posts)
  1. MissJamieD profile image57
    MissJamieDposted 11 years ago

Do you wish you could hub about something controversial without people bashing your opinions?

Of course there are certain subjects that are controversial, or conjure up many arguments and debates. But, we all have a right to our opinions. Do you wish you could write a hub about something but fear you will be mocked, debated, ridiculed, and bullied? There's a certain subject I love writing about but there are always these people who can't resist arguing and challenging your beliefs. I find this very annoying. Do you agree? Do you write your controversial hubs anyways or do you choose to keep them quiet?

2. lilmissmontana profile image78
    lilmissmontanaposted 11 years ago

Absolutely! I suppose the reason I never bring my political or religious stance online and share it, is the fear of rude people. I wish more people could be objective and see the opinions of others without feeling the need to be rude. It's rather discouraging to a writer who wants to open up, but feels trapped by possible responses of others.

I don't know as though I will ever overcome this feeling.

MissJamieDposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I hope you come out of your shell lilmiss. I actually enjoy debating with people, it's just the rude ones, like you said, that irritate me. The closed-minded ones who refuse to acknowledge that have a valid point.

3. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

I write about whatever I want. If people want to debate I may or may not debate back. I certainly am not going to refrain from having a personal opinion because others might not like it!

1. ChristinS profile image41
      ChristinSposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I completely agree! No one is served when people refuse to discuss issues.

2. SoundNFury profile image81
      SoundNFuryposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yup, I agree with peeples.  In fact, there's a part of me that welcomes anyone who wants to debate or challenge me!

3. MissJamieD profile image57

I agree as well! I write about whatever I want to also. I have. I guess my issue is with people that refuse to hear another opinion.

4. Learn Things Web profile image92
    Learn Things Webposted 11 years ago

I've never written about anything that people feel so passionate about that something like that happened. It's not my focus here at all. But when people resort to personal attacks it's usually because their arguments can't stand up to scrutiny. Instead of backing down and admitting they were wrong or reexamining their beliefs, they go on the attack. They're using fear to win their arguments when logic fails them.

I certainly wouldn't write about something debatable on purpose. I write about what I want to write about and sometimes people disagree and get nasty. But you're right about it being about them.

5. ChristinS profile image41
    ChristinSposted 11 years ago

Debate is healthy.  If you are afraid of debate, perhaps it's pointing to a fear of your own confidence in your belief? Debate is not the same as a fight, debate is  discourse and discourse is healthy.  I have no interest in reading the opinions of people who don't welcome dissenting views, to me that suggests one is  closed minded.  I allow dissenting opinions on my hub comments so long as they are respectful in tone.   That being said, I refuse to engage in mean spirited argument or bashing etc.  Conversation is how growth and change happen in my mind.

I'm certainly not afraid to debate, I'm talking about the people that come and bash your beliefs like you have no right to have the opinion. I run into this alot in the forums especially. But nothing I can't handle.

2. ChristinS profile image41
      ChristinSposted 11 years agoin reply to this

oh yes, the forums here can be a whole different ball game wink.  I resist the forums here as they are often very disrespectful.

6. ketage profile image80
    ketageposted 11 years ago

I really did not think about it much, there are people out there who will bash any topic, some people feel the need to shove their opinion down your throat if they disagree with your point of view. In my opinion write about whatever you feel needs to be written down. And if someone disagrees with you thats fine, thats great actually, controversial subjects are meant to be discussed.
    but if they are rude and just wanna bash your hub because they disagree with you, then ignore them.

I totally agree:)

7. gmwilliams profile image83
    gmwilliamsposted 11 years ago

I write many so-called controversial hubs regarding reproductive issues and family size.  I get tons of highly responsive comments.  Those comments do not faze me in the slightest.  I am going to SAY what I have to SAY regarding the subject at hand.

That's awesome! Good for you! I also have written about controversial subjects and I enjoy sharing opinions, I just dislike the people who refuse to open their eyes to another point of view.

8. lburmaster profile image72
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

Not really. No matter where you go, someone will always bash your opinions. There isn't really anything you can do about it. They can whine and complain all they want. My opinions rarely change.

Right on! Good answer.

2. teamrn profile image59
      teamrnposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've written and commented on more than 1 controversial hubs. No matter how PC you phrase things, & how objectively; people discuss for a time, all it takes is one wise-a** to start the mud-slinking and finger-pointing:. It's all downhill from th

3. profile image57
      Silkekarinaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You say that your opinions rarely change, does that mean that you are not open to learning? As you go through life and mature (your photo shows glowing youth) you learn more and evaluate situations better.

4. lburmaster profile image72
      lburmasterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I learn every day and actually get a thrill out of researching. But my opinions are based on my morals, not just education. I always have facts and figures to help keep those in place. Only drastic events change my opinions, so far.

9. teamrn profile image59
    teamrnposted 11 years ago

Jamie, I think I can. I do have my own personal opinions, but people don't know what they are often, because I 'couch' those opinions in well thought-out discussion that state facts. Then I let others form their own opinions.

That said, people have written beautiful hubs, Will Star, The Man With No Pants, My Esoteric, American View and C. Merritt to name a few and some people do one thing only; spend discussion time POINTING fingers and trashing the hubber for having the opinions that he/she does HAVE.

In too many instances, when people write a controversial or political hub, they are going out on a limb, researching to get all facts right. Then, unfortunately, others come along and instead of politely saying that this fact might be better stated 'x' way, they point the fingers and play the blame game for not stating the same fact 'y' way..

I really respect people who write controversial hubs, knowing that they might be stirring up a hornets nest/

I totally agree. I have written a couple hubs that have gotten people worked up. I enjoy that as well. It's the rude ones that get to me I guess. The people that could care less about my opinion. In that case I wish they'd leave no comment at all.

10. MickS profile image61
    MickSposted 11 years ago

I never worry about the opinions of others.   Everyone has them, and everyone has the right to them, and, like you, me, uncle Tom Cobley, and all, the right to be wrong.  Any subject, controversial or not, is going to generate many different opinions, if someone wants to bash mine it is inevitable, and they are welcome.

Very good attitufe, I love it:)

11. sallybea profile image93
    sallybeaposted 11 years ago

MissJamieD Controversy in my book is great as it creates interest and comment.  Fortunately you can delete the comments if you don't like them! That way there is no need to get embroiled in argument when you don't have to   If you feel strongly about something write it.  If no-one gets hurt even better.

Oh I know I can delete them, but once I read them, they're stuck in my head. Although the very nasty ones I ignore, the mildly nasty ones just irritate me because the person is so selfish. That's just me:)

12. belmaund profile image61
    belmaundposted 11 years ago

Yes!!! Amoung a few other concerns as well.  Thank you for presenting this question and bringing these concerns to our conscious mind.  Maybe we should get our back up a bit and really try for a reaction!!! Perception is the key.  We can either allow this to quiet us, or make us even louder.  I vote Louder! 

Your posting also piqued my interest. I'm now a follower (fan) and can't wait to read your best smile. You now have one person who can hear your opinion and know its only that, an opinion and if I allow that.... Maybe ill learn something.

Keep up the good work my friend

13. LongTimeMother profile image92
    LongTimeMotherposted 11 years ago

Hi MissJamieD,
    I write on a diverse range of subjects. Some of them could be considered controversial, but I've only ever felt 'bashed' for my opinions on one occasion. It stopped after I consistently addressed the issues raised in comments.
    The hub was about how teaching your child to lie can, in certain circumstances, be a child's best option for self defense. One hubber was insistent that he knew better, that I was completely mistaken, and that my opinion did not seem worthy of consideration. If you want to see how the conversation went as a case study, you'll find it through my profile page. smile
    Since then, I've written a hub called 'How US gun owners can prepare for new gun laws'. I thought that hub might cop a bit of bashing by passionate gun owners, but it seems to have been received in the spirit in which I wrote it. Having lived through changes to gun laws in Australia, I simply offered tips that would have been helpful to me.
    It has only been up for a couple of days and is attracting traffic. The most interesting thing is that not one person has left a comment. I suspect that very few people would want to identify themselves as agreeing with me on this topic, for fear of any backlash. Same for people who disagree.
    I suggest you give careful consideration to your wording when creating a controversial hub, be prepared for people to challenge you, and follow the process through.
    You have a hubber rating of 99, MissJamieD. You must be doing something right! I suggest you write your hub, and see what happens.smile

14. tsmog profile image86
    tsmogposted 11 years ago

To be honest with you MissJamieD maybe yes and maybe no. I have many articles written ¬ published. The reason is timing. If the article is green it will not matter when published. Only spruce it up and give it a tune-up in race car talk and then vroooommmm-zoooommmmm.

Timing is significant on automobile engines. Today's cars rely on computers and sensors to do what a timing light and an experienced technician did. How or when to post an article may be as important for it to have power as that metaphor alludes to. Too, those timing lights and technicians are bots and programmers.

If a hubpages writer / author has their ducks lined up to get indexed quickly and high in the Google rankings then the influx of the Hubpages community members of discord to that article are of no matter. The trick (an old racer's term to get a car to go fast on the track was to trick it out) is the learning process and discovering what works and what doesn't.

One of those tricks is to listen with the eye of an osprey. There is more knowledge here at hubpages for that purpose of exposure on the Internet's world wide web than probably anywhere.

As far as controversial goes as long as the article is within the guidelines specified at the Learning Center you are within the right to publish here at Hubpages from the literal stand point. However, the figurative may come in to play with flagging for countless causes of reason. Or, as you shared comments offer a little grease to be cleaned up. That is a subjective view to the controversial article and not objective.

Some controversial perspectives are great money makers. Look at Howard Stern or even Rush Limbaugh. They are both controversial. To whom is the question. And, which market do you plan to market too.

Both of those celebrities thrive on controversy. They raise the pulse of both sides of the fence while the fence is just what it is - a bunch of posts just listening. The grass is green on both sides, it is the depth of the mud that makes the difference.

Now, the question becomes is this comment of controversy? Edgar Allen Poe said, "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before."

Mother Teresa said, "If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one."

Mark Twain said, "Humor is the great thing, the saving thing. The minute it crops up, all our irritations and resentments slip away and a sunny spirit takes their place.

15. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 11 years ago

If I write something that people do not agree with they are welcome to voice their opinions, if they are different, voice support, object to my opinions or offer real evidence that my conclusion is in correct. They can say, "I do not agree'" and leave it there. I will not accept undocumented claims, quotes that cannot be verified or statements that have no bearing. I once wrote in a hub that drug addiction was easy. I had been hospitalized for emergency surgery and at one point received an injection for a painkiller  through a central line in my neck. I felt an instant high. If I had not been under careful medical supervision, the urge to try it again would have been powerful. Someone wrote back,"That shows that Larry Wall knows nothing about addiction." He did not explain why. I asked him to explain his statement and I asked the other participants if they had any comments. Nobody offered anything, and the discussion moved on. So, if you are going to make an accusation, you need to have the evidence to back it up. It was not my Hub, so I could not delete the comment. Thus I asked for evidence to support the accusation and received none.

1. teamrn profile image59
      teamrnposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There is a fine line between getting high off a med and being addicted. But, you were wise not to try it again and he was a fool for saying what he did. Sometimes all it takes is an addictive personality to go along with that high and: YOU'RE HOOKED.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)