What is the closest call with danger you've ever had?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (29 posts)
  1. Billie Kelpin profile image85
    Billie Kelpinposted 11 years ago

What is the closest call with danger you've ever had?

and what did you do to avert it? I was driving down a 2-lane ICE-slicked country highway in MN. I was behind a huge truck and felt comfortable following him. However, a driver behind me was pushing forward, beeping, and turning on his lights so I would pass. I looked to the left lane and no one was coming, so I finally decided to go for it.  As I picked up a little speed to pass, I started swerving all over the road. Just then I saw an oncoming car coming over the hill.  I couldn't go back into my lane; I couldn't go forward; I took the left ditch which I guess one shouldn't do, but I'm here.

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

In my youth, I have been in many car crashes that were a miracle that we survived. In my adult life the first thing that comes to mind is when I was electrocuted at work by 5000 volts. Luckily the amperage was low or I would have been dead o the spot.

1. profile image0
      Rayne123posted 11 years agoin reply to this

well someone was with you or should I say the Holy Spirit and his Angels.

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely Rayne.

3. Billie Kelpin profile image85
      Billie Kelpinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

5000 Volts!  My goodness!  I hope you have a hub about how we all can avoid any kind of electrocution smile  There was a powerline down here in CA last year and I believe a young woman got out of her car to save some one and both perished.

4. profile image0

Yes Billie, it all depends on the amps. Amperage is the speed at which the current is running. Luckily, the transformer I was working with only had a few amps running through it at the time.

3. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

What comes to mind is a variety of things. Foremost in my mind are chances I took when I was a kid.  Placing myself in danger by going placed I shouldn't, accepting rides I shouldn't.  There were so many times something horrible could have happened but didn't.  Now I look back and think it was a miracle that I wasn't raped, kidnapped or something else.

In a more concrete example, I was on a two lane road in Fort Wayne, Indiana and the car in front of me was making a left turn so we had slowed to a stop while the car waited to make his turn. I looked up in my rear view mirror and there was a car barreling ahead coming up behind me, and you could see the driver was looking at his passenger talking, and not watching the road.  I knew he was going to hit me.  At the last second, he looked up and veered to the right.  But it was close!  I'll never forget that helpless feeling.

1. profile image0

It is helpless. Unfortunately in my case the car hit me dead on in the rear, came through it with minor scratches and a totaled car.

2. Billie Kelpin profile image85

Whew!  I'm glad he looked up. Glad the chances of your youth turned out fine!  Thanks for your comment Duffsmom

4. profile image0
    Rayne123posted 11 years ago

wow I guess one time in our lives we all had close calls. If we are here, then we are meant to be.

There is more to Gods plan for us

Mine was when I hit 2 moose at the same time.
    God/Angles saved my life and I actually wrote the story of that night in my Angel hub.

Have a good one and glad you are still here
    Laurie

1. ketage profile image81
      ketageposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have had so many close calls, it is embarrassing, If I do have a guardian angel, the poor thing must be working overtime looking out for me.

2. Billie Kelpin profile image85

Two moose at once!  You probably are a great bowler too!  Best wishes.  I'd love to hear THAT story!  Is the world minus two moose now?

3. profile image0

Well yes , its funny now, once every one knew the story and I was ok, I did get a lot of "nice" jokes.
      My story is actually my hub on "guardian Angels"

4. Billie Kelpin profile image85

I'll check out the story.  I'm a bit behind in my reading. ugh!

5. profile image0

Oh Billie, I am not a good bowler that I know of, its been years.
      Funny you mention bowling though, I had a dream about bowling not long ago. Symbolized something else, however it was about bowling.

5. DrMark1961 profile image96
    DrMark1961posted 11 years ago

I was climbing a mountain in Ireland alone, without ropes. (This was back in the 80s when I was still dumb enough to do that sort of thing.) It started raining, my boots slipped, I went down, and the only thing that kept me from falling 50 meters, onto the rocks, was a tuft of grass. 
    I gave up the rest of the climb and went back to the B&B!

You're an adventurous soul!  Glad the tuft of grass helped you out because I might never have been able to glance at your great hubs.  (My little Scooter has been licking his paws ALOT lately and maybe I'll find an answer in your great articles! )

2. ketage profile image81
      ketageposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Climbing solo, dang, you really are lucky nothing happened.

3. DrMark1961 profile image96
      DrMark1961posted 11 years agoin reply to this

You´re right,ketage,and now that I can look back on it I realize I was lucky.
      Billie,the licking is usually a symptom of allergies,so you can look at the article "Why is my dog scratching"or"Honey and other natural ways to treat allergies in dogs"

4. Billie Kelpin profile image85

DrMark, thank you sooo much for the allergy thought and the hub.  Will read it asap

6. ketage profile image81
    ketageposted 11 years ago

I was walking back from my lunch break, when this bus comes screeching up behind me, Jumps up the pavement and hits me on the right shoulder blade, I spin a full 360 degrees and fall to one knee, just like I was finishing a weird dance routine. The driver panics and zooms off without stopping, I hear the passengers from the bus screaming, people on the street run up, asking me if I was OK.
    I feel blood dripping down my back, the air had been knocked out of my lungs and the first thing that pops into my mind was. WOW, that was loud, was that the sound of the bus hitting me?

You are an abolutely hilarious writer!  Really cute post!

2. profile image0

Great story, glad you are ok

7. Unlieshhd profile image55
    Unlieshhdposted 11 years ago

When i was 7years old i lived in a duplex ( 2units joined at the garage) with my nanna. My mum was traveling for work in the bars. She was still very young, she     was also single and attractive, which meant she was always being chatted up by men. I remember one night we were relaxing in the garage outside having a joint evening with our neighbours and mum, who had come on a suprise visit. Things were great as per normal. conversations were flowing between the adults as it got later. All of a sudden this guy come running up the drive way with a 22 rifle aiming at me and my nanna! He pulled the trigger but for some reason the bullet did not go off?!?! Turned out it was some guy we knew who had developed an obsession with my mum,but,my nanna hated him and disapproved. The police came and did their bit but my Uncle caught up with the bloke a couple of ....weeks later

Fascinating! My aunt Sadie was a single mom in the US and worked in bars. There were dangerous adventures for my cousin Lynn, I know.  I wrote about her in one of my hubs "The Turkey in the Living Room".  I'm not sure we can mention our hubs, but....

8. theluckywriter profile image68
    theluckywriterposted 11 years ago

I was in a canoe in Zimbabwe when a hippo suddenly appeared not far away. He fake-charged three times before he changed his mind and moved away. I thought I was going to throw up. Well, at the moment, I mostly thought I was going to die. Feeling like I might throw up came afterwards.

My goodness !!!!  Most interesting in the answers to this question are the diverse lives everyone here has lived!  I don't think I'm going to go canoeing in Zimbabwe smile but I think I need to get out more ! smile

9. profile image0
    LindaTuckerRDAposted 11 years ago

One day when I was home alone my kitchen window was opened and I was in one of the bedroom on my computer. Normally, I turn on a radio or Television but this time. So when I came to the kitchen I heard some noise. I taught it was someone trying to remove a note from the living room door. Anyway, the noise was two tall teenager boys and one small boy cutting the screen from the kitchen window. So I screamed out in a deep voice asking them are you trying to come into my house. Then they ran away. That was a close call because they could had came into to my house and raped me and cleaned out my house.

Very brave to have called out!  Glad they ran!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)