Why exactly do they sell luggage at the airport?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (19 posts)
  1. petenali profile image80
    petenaliposted 11 years ago

Why exactly do they sell luggage at the airport?

It has always amused me that you can buy assorted luggage INSIDE the airport terminal.  It's not like you see that many people walking around with armfuls of clothes in the hope they find a luggage store...  Have you ever bought anything in one?

2. johndnathan profile image74
    johndnathanposted 11 years ago

Some people are transferring between flights and their luggage might have been lost or stolen.  So they need to rebuild their spare clothes from scratch.

Others have a tendency to pick up things in their travels and need a good bag to pack them in to send them home with them, or onto their next city.

Others just bought too much stuff and can't fit everything in their luggage.  So they're coming to the airport with stuff in paper and plastic bags, planning on buying a suitcase from the shop to put all that stuff in.

I've never purchased luggage at an airport.  Of course I don't get to travel much so that's part of the reason, however if I see that my luggage is falling apart and the ones in the airport shop are a good deal I'll certainly get one.

petenaliposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I can understand smaller convenient bags or holdalls, but they also sell full luggage sets.  Surely that sort of quantity of clothes etc should already have been packed or checked in.  If you buy a large suitcase you then have to check it in too...

johndnathanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm just guessing at this point, however maybe the people are buying the luggage set and having it shipped to their next destination so they can upgrade their luggage.  Maybe a large family needs a full set due to a former luggage calamity.

3. petenali profile image80

Yep, that's possible.

4. johndnathan profile image74

Hmm, my luggage does seem to be falling apart.  TO THE AIRPORT!

3. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

Here's my thought. Your dragging your luggage through tons of people. It's awkward, keeps tipping over, the load keeps shifting, and suddenly you think "this is awful! I need new luggage." You stew over this all the way to your destination, then have to deal with it again on the way home. You get off your plane in your home town, pick up that awful luggage again, start walking and stewing again, then suddenly you're walking by a luggage store. Problem solved. Buy new luggage, trade out, and toss the old ones.

Seems like a somewhat logical thought process...

4. lburmaster profile image73
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

There are weight and size limit requirements for some airlines. If you have too big or too heavy of a suitcase, that gives you the opportunity to buy one that fits the rules. Yes, we have bought one and it is the one I still use five years later. But I need a new one, it's getting a little beat up.

1. quildon profile image73
      quildonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I too have had to buy luggage at the airport because I was overweight - my luggage was. I shudder to think what would have happened if I had to leave the airport and go looking for a luggage store. I think it's a good thing they have these stores.

I agree.  It's so stressful to get into the airport that once I get there the only way I want to leave is on a plane.

3. petenali profile image80

I guess not everybody checks weight limits ahead of time...

5. windygreen profile image60
    windygreenposted 11 years ago

It is amusing ! It would seem that at the airport you would be already all packed ,  However, what if your wheel or handle falls off your suitcase?   

Also, consider this... the only time anyone ever buys luggage is when they are planning on a trip... (unless u just have mounds of money to spend on unneeded things)  So luggage naturally in the minds of "travelers".

I'm probably just taking my experiences into consideration.  There are of course millions of travellers every year and some of them will have had luggage mishaps requiring replacements.

6. Solaras profile image94
    Solarasposted 11 years ago

Because a significant number of bags come back to their owners so horribly mangled, that they need a new suitcase just to get your possessions out to the car.  I have had 3 suitcases damaged beyond any usefulness.

I had a suitcase damaged on a flight to UK.  When I complained about it, they took me in a room full of new suitcases and told me to pick a replacement.  It was really quite simple.  Not so in mexico, the bag showed up 3 days late ripped to pieces!

7. MissJamieD profile image54
    MissJamieDposted 11 years ago

Besides stolen luggage I would think some people need more as they return seeing as many people come back with more items than they left with. I don't understand it much either to tell you the truth because everything in the airport is a rip-off.

I too have come back with more than I took, but in those times I have still bought another bag or case BEFORE going to the airport.

8. lilian_sg profile image65
    lilian_sgposted 11 years ago

I've never bought luggage at the airport, but I did buy luggage while travelling because of two reasons: 1. I shopped and realised I did not have enough luggage space, 2. My bag failed on me and rather than lug a spoilt bag around, I just bought one.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)