I think everybody enjoys music and has favourite songs and singers but is there

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (13 posts)
  1. damian0000 profile image59
    damian0000posted 11 years ago

I think everybody enjoys music and has favourite songs and singers but is there one song, for you,

that has changed the way that you look at things?

2. Eva Berlin profile image71
    Eva Berlinposted 11 years ago

One song that will always be my favorite? Westlife's 'Swear It Again'.

I know it's cheesy, but it always makes me happy to hear that song. Even after 14 years now.

3. damian0000 profile image59
    damian0000posted 11 years ago

Cheesy can be very good Eva, i love pretty much every song that Abba ever wrote!

4. freedomsthoughts profile image60
    freedomsthoughtsposted 11 years ago

I have many favorite songs, but Behind Blue Eyes stands out the most

5. profile image0
    lesliebyarsposted 11 years ago

Goodbye To Yesterday by Boyz II Men and Mariah Carey.  It reminds me of a friend of mine who was killed in college.

6. profile image0
    delleaposted 11 years ago

I would have to say that it was a song that I composed called "Motherboard" on my "Hackers Versus Crackers" album (currently song #33 in the player on my music site music.dellea.biz). This was a very significant song for me out of all the others that I have composed because I based a lot of it on my favorite TV show NCIS. I put a lot of work into this song and tried to capture the elements and overall feeling of NCIS's high-tech crime-solving and the featured characters in the show. As it turned out, the album that this song is in ended up being my best-selling album because every song is themed towards computing and my fellow geeks out there.

7. Aupriann Myers profile image60
    Aupriann Myersposted 11 years ago

Hanging by a moment - Life house. It's my wedding song.

damian0000posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Very sweet Aupriann, nice choice!

8. Silverspeeder profile image60
    Silverspeederposted 11 years ago

I have many favorites to suit whichever mood or situation i am in but if i had to chose one it would be Run by Snowpatrol.

9. Gareth Pritchard profile image74
    Gareth Pritchardposted 11 years ago

Most songs that you actually take notice of and interpret what is being said change the way that you look at things. Words have meaning therefore anything you can or think you understand will often change or inform the way in which you think according to how you perceive that information. Added to this is the influence of sound so how you perceive those sounds and words in relation to each other have an effect upon you. Even if you don't like a song it effects change.

Bataris Box Theory.

What I think is influenced by what you say and how you say it to me. What I say and how I say it influences the way you think,  thus in turn influences what you say, and how you say it. If something is influenced it is changed in some way and must affect the way you look at things.

One such song out of probably hundreds I listened to recently is Everybody Knows by Leonard Cohen, because I realize that everybody knows.

Unlike dellea's spam post on this page I do write songs and most song writing is only telling everybody what they already know otherwise they wouldn't be able to understand them. So even if you already know, it can strengthen that knowledge and thus change how you look at it.

There are probably hundreds of songs that have changed the way I look at things as well as my own songs that change the way I look at things just because I have looked harder at them.

damian0000posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Nice answer Gareth, I like a bit of Leonard Cohen myself... It sounds like you put a lot of effort into the songs that you write yourself --- maybe you should post a couple of them up here in the arts and entertainment threads.

2. Gareth Pritchard profile image74
      Gareth Pritchardposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks damian,  it's a bit difficult because I write under different names but I will look into it, thanks again. Gareth.

10. profile image49
    tommymarxposted 11 years ago

Taking the question literally - what song "has changed the way that you look at things" - the first song that comes to mind is "Band Of Gold" by Freda Payne. I used to listen to that song on the record player all the time. I don't know which of my brothers or sisters had actually purchased the 45, but I adored that song. For me, it was the song that made me receptive to the great soul music of the '70s, to the disco songs of the late '70s, and to the elemental power of a great melody. But more than all of that, it made me realize at an impossibly young age that music could be ecstatic and brilliant and make you want to dance while at the same time it could convey the deepest of pain.

I have never lost my respect for music. I have to laugh when people dismiss some songs or singers as cheesy or amateurs and embrace others as modern classics or true artists, or when people argue about who is a better singer or what is a better song, because they miss the point entirely. Music can't be quantified. A Celine Dion single that might make one person turn off the radio in disgust might make another person burst into tears or remind someone of joyous memories. Someone's Lil Wayne track can be as powerful to them as someone else's Tim McGraw single. It's all wonderfully subjective.

And that's because music is so complex and amazing. And for me, personally, "Band Of Gold" was the first song that showed me how a song can break your heart and heal it at the same time.

I love your question because the answer is infinite, just like music is.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)