Do you think college life is very important in shaping up the future of a person

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)
  1. breathing profile image47
    breathingposted 10 years ago

Do you think college life is very important in shaping up the future of a person’s life?

2. rickzimmerman profile image68
    rickzimmermanposted 10 years ago

Consider that one's time at college may spread across 4 to 7 years or more of a lifespan that has only reached 18 to 25 years, and thus constitutes one-third or more of a person's awareness and maturation. Consider also that college life usually coincides with times of serious choices and decisions: who am I? what am I capable of? who do I want to be? what do I want to do or achieve with my life? who do I want to be with? where will I go? of what will my days and nights consist? what kind of future will I have? Consider that when one is in college, one usually has the energy, stamina, malleability and curiosity to openly partake of what the world has to offer. Finally, consider that a college life in many campus settings is often a roiling, simmering melting pot of new names, faces, ages, personalities, thoughts, ideas, languages, cultures, musics, foods, entertainments, and experiences. For all of these considerations, I think college life can be — and, for many people, is — the most important time period of all for shaping the future and direction of their life.

3. lburmaster profile image72
    lburmasterposted 10 years ago

College social life? I hope not... I lived in my grandma's apartment when she passed  for the first two years, then remained at the house with David for the rest of it. The friends I had were in their late twenties and thirties. Getting along with others my age has never been a strong point.
    But the college life of barely having enough to eat and working part-time while studying full-time? I do think it helps teach each individual studying techniques, what their limits are, time management, and how to handle money for what is important.

4. Phenomenalapse profile image77
    Phenomenalapseposted 10 years ago

College opens up or at least reveals a lot of potentials and opportunities in one's life that may or may not have been present beforehand. And not just the in-class experiences, or just the social experiences, but the entire set and setting that you put around your life for this period. So much about college is about connecting with others and honestly, networking. For many people this involves incorporating a mix of eclectic ideas that they encounter both in class and with others into their own lives. It can easily hold one back though or make someone still feel trapped in a system they never wanted a part of. The important thing is that you cut through the bullshit and find what is important in shaping the future of YOUR life. What do you like or enjoy? How can you use that to not only sustain and advance your life, but possibly help others? College may or may not be an enabler for you personally. Socially college provides a slew of possibly rich and fulfilling while possibly self destructive lifestyle options, but most of these idealized "college life" scenarios are a re-definition of suburban life emphasized in American schools specifically and glorified by Hollywood with things like Van Wilder and the like. Just do what makes you happy, and if the best way to do this is to attend a college to immerse you in it, then so be it. Hindsight is 20/20 and you can never know for sure how much an experience will affect or shape you, but some things attract us like tractor beams solely because we know deep down we want to be there. I struggle with school, I am a junior at UNR, but this is what keeps me going. I know deep within me that I benefit greatly from the lifestyle decisions college has led me to act on.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)