Is grounding the Blue Angeles serious?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (25 posts)
  1. tirelesstraveler profile image60
    tirelesstravelerposted 11 years ago

Is grounding the Blue Angeles serious?

The Blue Angeles have been grounded.  They won't be at Fleet Week in San Francisco,Ca. 
    The practices and the actual show during Fleet Week draw several million people to San Francisco and the Bay Area to see the magnificence of precision flying.  That is sad, but...
    could this be more serious.  What is the actual purpose of the pilots that fly those Navy planes?
    Could this grounding be a national defense disaster?  These planes are the first line of defense patrolling dangers over the polar cap.  North Korea ?

2. Attikos profile image82
    Attikosposted 11 years ago

The Blue Angels are great flyers who put on a great show. That is what they do, though. It's PR and entertainment, at most of indirect value to warmaking. The navy is a military institution, it reports it would have cost forty million in 2013 to keep the Angels going, and that's a lot of money even if it does pale to a speck in gross federal spending. It's nice to have spectacles like that when we're rich and spendthrift. Americans are no longer rich, however, and we're getting thinner by the month as the economy sickens and taxes rise to punitive levels. I wish things were better, but it's time to cut the fat. The Blue Angels are essentially that. Let them go.

1. xstatic profile image59
      xstaticposted 11 years agoin reply to this

True, and the same goes for the other air show performers like the Air Force Thunderbirds, also grounded for logical reasons.

2. Laura Schneider profile image84
      Laura Schneiderposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Attikos and xstatic, I agree with you both. Yet, both groups of pilots have done tremendous services to the US over time and inspired MANY to become military pilots. I thank them for daringly serving our country and I respect their contributions!

3. Alberic O profile image56
    Alberic Oposted 11 years ago

The Blue Angels is just for show- to demonstrate the Naval air power and precision. Cutting it will not be a national defense disaster.

We have the Naval Fleet, Marines forward deployed around the world on ship. We have Army, Marines, Navy and USAF bases in Japan, Okinawa, Guam, along with Army and USAF bases in Europe. The Navy, USAF and Marines have fixed winged attack aircraft- bombers and fighters. Not to mention 28,000 US Soldiers in Korea. Plus, we have NORAD and several air warning systems throughout the US and Canada.

The US will be ok as long as these assets are used correctly.

1. Laura Schneider profile image84

Agreed!! However, their shows WERE breathtakingly beautiful! I will miss them greatly. Such precision and elegance (from big machines!) is honorable artwork, extremely difficult, and inspiring. Only a rare pilot could do it... I salute them all!

4. Becky Katz profile image81
    Becky Katzposted 11 years ago

No, this is part of the cost cutting measures by the military. These pilots that were flying with the Blue Angels and the Air Force Thunderbirds were not part of the National Defense except in time of attack on U.S. soil. They will just be put back in the ranks with the other pilots now and will be flying for defense now. Considering that they spent most of their off time being drunk, maybe this will help them some.

I think your "drunk" comment is too harsh, true or not. I think that if my job were that difficult and dangerous, I'd probably spend a lot of time being drunk, too. Besides, many people in many professions spend most of their time off being drunk.

5. TylerKathy profile image60
    TylerKathyposted 11 years ago

This is probably due to the Sequester. I am part of a military family. Active duty military were effected in several ways beginning a few weeks ago.  The Blue Angels will probably be up and flying again.  I think essential operations are being focused on right now.  Don't worry!

I sure hope things will improve as you say, TylerKathy! And I hope the Angels and the Thunderbirds fly again (more practically, however: not fly-overs for sports events!!). I get chills just thinking about them: maybe gone, but NEVER forgotten!!

6. Laura Schneider profile image84
    Laura Schneiderposted 11 years ago

Sequestration isn't a joke. I'm sad for the Blue Angels (I've seen many of their amazing shows and practice sessions) and for San Francisco. But I'm more sad that the pittance people get for unemployment benefits was cut by 11% (and unemployment benefits are taxable!).

Lots of areas are being hit hard by sequestration. Write to your congresspersons and senators and tell them to shut up and un-dig their heels so some legislation can be passed to help the situation: they're embarrassing us all.

Lobbyists will hopefully be cut due to sequestration, too. Ha ha. (No, I don't really believe that will ever happen, but I can hope for a brighter, more honest day.)

1. Becky Katz profile image81
      Becky Katzposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am more worried for those who get their SS cut and VA disability cut. They aren't too worried about cutting their own wages though or a bunch of the money we give other countries so they can wage war on us.

Good points, Becky! Sad, but true!

7. profile image49
    Ettore Simingtonposted 11 years ago

No it isn't.  It cost a ridiculous amount of money to operate them just to put on a show.  While we are at it maybe we can stop doing fly overs for sporting events.  It is completely unnecessary and unrelated to the event.

Plus it's very dangerous for the pilots, even though they're the best: what they do is fabulous and inspiring but VERY risky. (I totally agree on the fly-overs: stupid.)

Sports actually rule this country, though: bread and circuses. We're nuts.

2. ercramer36 profile image91
      ercramer36posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think that if the sporting events want a flyover they should have to pay the costs + a fee.  Tax payers should not pay for this ever.

3. Laura Schneider profile image84

I totally agree with both of you, Ettore Simington and ercramer36: a HUGE fee in addition to costs. The US wastes more money on sports... sports that can't cover their own ridiculous costs (stadiums, "stars"), should be sequestration victims, too.

8. Deborah-Diane profile image81
    Deborah-Dianeposted 11 years ago

We used to go down to the air show in San Diego to see the Blue Angels, and it will make me sad to see them stop performing.  However, the cost of having them perform for air shows is said to be extraordinary, and they need to cut back somewhere.  It is too bad, though!

Agreed, it is too bad. Cuts are being made everywhere, though.

9. ercramer36 profile image91
    ercramer36posted 11 years ago

The Blue Angels put on a great air show, however, they have nothing to do with national security.  I do not know where you get that they patrol the polar ice cap because all they do is fly in air shows.  This is no big deal.  Let's face it, we are broke and this is an unnecessary expense.  There are so many things like this that are nice to haves but must be cut.

10. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

A result of budget cuts?  When do they start cutting some of the expensive activities at the White House. We all have to tighten our belts, they should too!

1. Attikos profile image82
      Attikosposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The white house has just furloughed its executive chef. They'll have to make do without Dom Perignon cheesecake. Oh, the horror! They haven't shut down Obama's private brewery, though, so he'll still be in his branded beer.

Agreed, duffsmom and ercramer36 (above)! LOTS of things, including WARS (a-hem), simply must be cut. We can't police the world any more; we can't even police our schools or airports! We need to "turtle-in" awhile and get our homeland in order again.

11. Ericdierker profile image45
    Ericdierkerposted 11 years ago

Here is the seriousness of the problem. People want to see those birds fly like they do. The power, the might, the precision, the danger, the hype, the pride.
    What else draws our attention in such a way? Spaceflight is close.

So the result of any long term cancellation of the programs will result in private enterprise filling that gap. There is simply too much potential to make big money. Oh for sure some laws will have to change and some restrictions on ownership of military grade aerial warships will need be reorganized, but all that takes is private money going into political campaigns.

For me: I think I will be just as happy putting up some cash to view the shows and knowing that it is still America that is on display. A leaner America with less government. And that is also something to be proud of. I am very proud of our private companies entering space with such gusto.

Great points, Ericdierker! All citizens of the United States of America are created equal (pardon the misquote), one nation filled with brilliant minds and heroic acts. I, too, am very proud of our companies on the leading edges of many technologies!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)