What are the benefits of blogging as opposed to publishing hubs?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (14 posts)
  1. ImKarn23 profile image70
    ImKarn23posted 11 years ago

What are the benefits of blogging as opposed to publishing hubs?

What are the benefits of blogging as opposed to publishing a hub? I just wrote my first post in my blog, but to me - it looks just like a hub..
    What's the diff?

2. Imogen French profile image85
    Imogen Frenchposted 11 years ago

A blog is much more of a personal thing. It is also a continuous stream that can be added to and updated. A blog can be followed by your fans, friends or family, who will be notified when you update or add to your blog. You have total control and ownership of your blog, so are free to do whatever you like with it. If you earn revenue from your blog you don't have to share it with anybody else.

Hubs are great too, but they are more about individual articles. The good thing about HubPages is that you are instantly part of a community where other writers support each other and interact, and there is a ready made system for earning revenue from advertising.
    I do both, but personally, I prefer writing on HubPages to blogging - it's much more fun!

ImKarn23posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hello Imogen and thank you for taking the time...
      A few questions: I'm on blogspot - i don't know if you know it? How would my friends and family be notified?
      The other question is about revenue?  How? When? Where? and HOW? LOL..
      techno-turd - me!

2. Imogen French profile image85
      Imogen Frenchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi ImKarn, I use "blogger", and on that you can invite people to follow your blog. I have it linked to my adsense account as used on HubPages. I'm still learning myself, but suggest reading through the site's help pages for more info - Good luck smile

3. Lady_E profile image61
    Lady_Eposted 11 years ago

In Blogging, you can write what you want and no one can dare unpublish it or say it "violates their whatever." Lol. That is the only thing that comes to my mind for now. I will come back if I think of anymore.  Good Luck with the blog, :-)

Thanks Elena! That probably means more to me than most..lol..
      i sure hope you come visit - it's on my fb page...

2. Georgie Lowery profile image90
      Georgie Loweryposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Depends on where you blog. Even if you buy your own hosting, if you publish something that violates their terms of service, it can get yanked.

4. Nell Rose profile image88
    Nell Roseposted 11 years ago

Hi leslie, I think blogging is so much easier to be honest. You can just let your fingers click away on the keys, pulling out info, funny stories and so on from our brains. With hubs we have to research, check, research again and make sure we don't break any of the rules. Saying that, I love research, and only tried blogging for a while, this suits me the best. It makes it feel like a 'proper' job, not just telling our diaries outloud. I tend to write like that when I am writing an ebook, so this is a great way to still write but do it differently.

Hi, Nell..
      i am starting to get the picture...I'll give it a shot and then i'll decide which works best for me..
      Thanks for the input..

5. Stachart profile image60
    Stachartposted 11 years ago

When you own your own blog, everything you write is published, there are no revenue share, you need to build your revenue kingdom! But publishing hubs, you just need to write and hubpages will generate revenue for you!

As you told about blogger, there are not a when, how, where specific as you may choose any ad network to monetize your blog including Google adsense. You have to build traffic to your blog and get paid depending on your ad network term!

Thank you so much. my blog is at blogger! i'm Imkarn23.....

6. steveso profile image77
    stevesoposted 11 years ago

I have been writing 2 blogs, as well as Hubpages and to be honest I prefer writing blogs. I have found that when I write a post for my blog I receive much more traffic that when I write a Hub.With my blogs I also have the opportunity to make more money than Hubpages. I can have Adsense, Amazon, Ebay. Infolinks and even a donate button through PayPal. I have received some very generous donations through this. I have found that when I use my blogs, hosted by Blogger, I receive much more traffic from Google than using Hubpages. Also when you use a site like Blogger you can add more features to your blog. Through Blogger you can use the blogspot url or you can pay $10 a years for your own site, such as www.yoursite.com instead of www.yoursite.blogspot.com.
    Your family and friends can receive notification of your new posts by clicking on the subscribe button on your blog or the follow button. I am sure it will only take you a few days to learn how to use the many features.
    With Hubpages, if you just like to write articles for the pure enjoyement, you have a simple and easy platform to use. I think if you want to promote your writings to a larger audience and want to design your own site you should use a blog. One aspect of writing a blog is that you can share your posts on Facebook and others social networking sites and also you can submit your posts to other sites, which will increase your traffic. This is not allowed on Hubpages.
    The bottom line about using one or the other is the one you feel most comfortable is the one you should use the most. I really don't think you should have to choose. You should use both and enjoy the features of both, as you see fit. This is just my opinion and what works for me.

Hi Steve - thanks so much for taking the time to answer! I'm seriously a techno-tard, but - i managed to post the first entry to my blog yesterday...
      i don't even think i have a profile page - when people click on it- it goes straight to the blog pos

2. steveso profile image77
      stevesoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Again. Just to add a few more comments. I have earned 5 times as much on my blogs than on Hubpages, with Adsense and Infolinks. When I started my blogs I knew nothing about blogging or the internet.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)