Have you ever dreamt of an outer body experience?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (28 posts)
  1. Grace-Wolf-30 profile image60
    Grace-Wolf-30posted 11 years ago

Have you ever dreamt of an outer body experience?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7913502_f260.jpg

2. MickS profile image60
    MickSposted 11 years ago

Nope, I've never dreamt of, I'm sure you mean, an out of body experience.

3. c mark walker profile image60
    c mark walkerposted 11 years ago

Since we cannot fly on our own power and since I've dreamed I was flying then yes,I've had an out of body experience more than once. I feel like I've seen the future in my dreams and so the same pretense,since I cannot live in the future,I must be having an out of body experience.
    Jacob in the Bible is famous for his dream of a stairway reaching up to Heaven.
    Joseph was not only a dreamer of the future but a dream interpreter.
    Gideon foresaw a military victory.
    The Lord appeared to Solomon in a dream and granted him wisdom.
    Joseph the earthly father of Jesus was visited by an angel in a dream to accept Mary.
    Pilates wife had a dream of Jesus before the crucifixion.
    Abraham Lincoln and Caligula foresaw their deaths.
    Carl Jung dreamed of a flood that turned to blood in the early part of 1913,by August of 1913 WW1 commenced.
    Albert Einstein had a dream about hurling down a hillside going faster and faster which inspired the Theory of Relativity.
    Paul McCartney wrote "Yesterday" after having a dream.These are examples from some of the greatest "thinkers" in history.
    So if you dream you are communicating with spirits or angels or whoever in your sleep,aren't these out of body experiences since your getting information from another dimension?

1. SidKemp profile image86
      SidKempposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Actually, term "Out of Body Experience" is specific and not the same as "prophetic dream" or "angelic visitation" or "angelic communication" or "Divine communication / gift." As taking a walk is not talking to a person, so OOBE is not communication.

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

You mean out of body experience?  No, I haven't.

Grace-Wolf-30posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I mean an experience or a dream about an experience. Some people are unable to believe in something like that, which is why I used the word dream, to make the question accessible to everybody.

5. connorj profile image70
    connorjposted 11 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7913958_f260.jpg

I think I have indeed had an out-of-body experience possibly twice. Once quite sometime ago (1984), when I dreamed of a helicopter crash. It was vivid and full of details unlike other dreams that I experienced. It was significantly different in its vividness. I ended up explaining it to my wife and good friend the next day simply because I was afraid it would come true. It was all written down; that is, the description of the crash site, the number of deaths, and some details of the people that passed on. Within 6 months it indeed happened; the crash site was identical (lakeside, forest and topography...).
    Once again in 2003 I slipped into a comatose state for a month. I was pronounced brain-dead. I had a most wonderful journey and was able to return after 30 days and discuss it with my wife. My wife was in the hospital room when I woke up. As I awakened I looked in her direction and said; "Is it ok if I go back?"

Wow, that is amazing! Scary too.

6. tsmog profile image84
    tsmogposted 11 years ago

Hello Grace-Wolf-30. What a great question. I am not sure if having dreamed or just Pondered now and then. I suspect the event having occurred with verification by those within fields of study with psychology, paranormal psychology, and through hypnosis as a tool of discovery. I have my own theory shared in a hub.

Essentially a quick snap shot is:

Car Crash

Heart stopped verifiable with 'jumper cables' installed by paramedics

The interim time period of heart stoppage is the question with science and the who, what, where, when, why, how and how much.

Failure of recall for near two weeks other than following.

Recall ability today and since the event is maybe 5 or less minutes before the crash, four specific and distinct recalled memories, and then capacity of total recall begins near two weeks later. That has not changed since 1978 - July 3rd, the day the car crash occurred.

1) The recall of memory of unconsciousness . First, I was on a bridge, on either side was simply nothingness or void without void. I was looking in a presumed direction of forward regarding that is where I faced. Two entities of a blue hue near to translucent. Hearing likened to listening to silence these words, "It is not time yet. Turn and go back."

I turned, there was the bridge heading in again, a direction of facing forward, I began walking.

2) Next, is recall of memory of a conscious or subconscious event, though I am unsure. Distinctly seeing my hand signing a piece of paper, although felt like unattached. Or, the hand was physical and I was of spirit. I know the action as fact since I have that piece of paper today - release document from the hospital stay. The signature is distorted & near to illegible. I 'feel' it is closer to being printed rather than cursive.

3) What followed is I was passing through a long corridor. I say it in that manner because I have no recall of walking. I recall persons passing by me or me them. Once passed they were gone. Ponder object permanence. That psychological definition seems the best fit for that experience - recalled.

4) I Recall being driven home. Who I thought rode with me and drove the car was verified the year 1993 as untrue. That caused spontaneous recall.

Next, a time period of anterograde amnesia or inability to form new memories - see '50 First Dates'

Followed by Long Term Retrograde amnesia and a term known as the cheese cloth affect or holes in memory

Three experiences of spontaneous recall and subsequent what ever

Thank you for sharing your story. Technically, this is a near-death experience, not quite the same as an out-of-body experience. I hope your memory limitations are not too disabling.

2. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I realize the distinction Sid, seems counseling of variance since 1994 offers a little. At least variance is of those whom was of counsel. I ponder a question? Are you sharing with that experience I was of presence of the body upon that bridge?

3. SidKemp profile image86

In my worldview, TSMOG, I would see your experience as valid inner events that you partially remember, & #2 as valid external event partially remembered from within. If you wish to discuss more, esp. use of meditation, email me via link on fan pa

4. Grace-Wolf-30 profile image60

That is really interesting! I agree with SidKemp, but I also think that a near death experience is an outer body experience in a way!

5. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sid, I am happy with as is today for me. Seems the common thread of the statement is as "remembered" That is the question offering subjective as the view. For Grace, Ponder. Are suicide attempts a near death experience? Difference, as is conscious?

7. Anselome profile image69
    Anselomeposted 11 years ago

The majority of my dreams are out of body. Although I am usually in them, I am watching myself throughout the dream. It's like a very interactive movie.

Thinking about it, it's kind of weird. While I'm dreaming, it's as if I'm a camera looking at what I am going to call my "perceived self". As the camera, my focus always has my "perceived self" in view and the distance from it never changes. I don't think I've ever had a dream where everything was in the first person.

Are anyone else's dreams like this? If not, what are the first person ones like?

Dreams viewed from above generally not same as OBE. In my dreams, sometimes I view from outside, more often I'm in my body. Some say fear causes the distanced view-from-above. OBE is different: We travel in an etheric body to other places & meeti

8. SidKemp profile image86
    SidKempposted 11 years ago

Yes, I have had a few out-of-body experiences and many dreams that took me clearly out of body, even distinctly to other places and events on Earth. Now, I do this intentionally, a few times a month, through self-guided meditation and lucid dreaming. It's fun, empowering, and a wonderful source of growth.

Thanks for the beautiful and inspiring image with your question. Where did you find it?

1. tsmog profile image84

Not enough characters below. Ponder? Home Files - PUB: 07/11 ED Source: Elsevier's Cortex states OBE experiences linked to neural instabilities in the brain's temporal lobes & to errors in the body's sense(s) of itself clinical & non-clinical

2. SidKemp profile image86

TSMOG - not fully following you. But art, spirituality, and religion have all been pathologized by psychologists and psychoneurologists at one time or another. Yet there is a beautiful non-pathological side to healthy, creative experience.

3. tsmog profile image84

Thank you sidkemp. tsmog is okay with me. Regarding the statement "not enough characters below" is a reference to size of the comment box. The rest is the source of the provided information and the opening of the conducted studies summary. Thanks!

4. Grace-Wolf-30 profile image60

Have you written a hub about it? That would be an interesting read

5. SidKemp profile image86

TSMOG: Found it! Short link to the reference: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 … 081249.htm does assume out of body experience is pathological. Can be for some. Creative spiritual growth for me.

6. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree Sid, emphatically with some as for some. However, one who did experience the whatever experience may ponder. I have pondered since 1978. I am still pondering. I ponder Isiah and Jeremiah much. I just add to with today, as offering a known.

7. SidKemp profile image86
      SidKempposted 10 years agoin reply to this

TSMOG - Ponder and journey! Journey and ponder!

9. Iontach profile image69
    Iontachposted 11 years ago

I think I had what I may call an out-of-body experience a few times. I get them during sleep paralysis. I hate sleep paralysis so much!
    Basically I'm lying there for ages, totally paralysed, so I get bored and try to crawl out of my sleeping body. I've done it a couple of times where I have literally stood over my paralysed body and once when I went for a walk around the apartment.
    I find it really hard to get out of my body and I have to pull myself out of it by holding onto something nearby. While I'm doing this I can feel my body trying to pull me back just like I have major elastic bands attached. It's really odd indeed!

You might check out the book Lucid Dreaming by Stephen LaBerge. His method is easy, and could reduce some of your distress.

2. Iontach profile image69
      Iontachposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi SidKemp, I'll google it now. So he discusses techniques to enable you to enter a lucid dream? This morning coincidentally I had sleep paralysis but I was unable to get out of my body. I tried for ages but all I could feel was 'strained vibrations'

3. SidKemp profile image86

Yes, he teaches a very simple and often effective technique for lucid dreaming. If that doesn't work, email me through my profile. I have some methods I haven't published yet.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)