Jesus said for us to love our neighbor like we love oursselves, can we love our

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (17 posts)
  1. profile image53
    graceinusposted 11 years ago

Jesus said for us to love our neighbor like we love oursselves, can we love our neighbor that much?

I know how much I love myself. I think it goes without saying for all of us. Jesus told us to love our neighbor's with the same amount that we love ourselves. And what exactly defines our neighbor? Have you loved ANY neighbor that much?

2. Mr. Happy profile image69
    Mr. Happyposted 11 years ago

Everyone is my neighbor. The Lakota First Nation people use the term "Mitakuye Oyasin" - "All My Relations", which includes All people, All of our animal cousins, the standing people (Trees), Spirits, etc.

Thus, I love everyone: Mitakuye Oyasin! We are All One; We are All connected: it is the Law of One.

All the best to everyone!

1. profile image53
      graceinusposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your answer Mr. Happy.
      P.S. Like your photo.

3. Daniel Akita profile image59
    Daniel Akitaposted 11 years ago

Loving your neighbour as yourself is a promise between you and your God. Once you make up your mind to hate evils, you will love them, even though they offended you. This is a sacrifice one have to make, belIevIng that you are not doing it for human beings, but God.

1. profile image53

Daniel Akita- I like your answer. Thank you

4. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 10 years ago

Hello my friend,
              I think I know where this question has came from. I don't know if I believe in not loving the sin, but loving the sinner. Yes, I think this is what we must do in our lives. Everyone of us is a sinner, we must love one another as Jesus has commanded. This does not mean that we will agree with everyone's actions, and all will not agree with ours. I do think we must love the sinner and not the sin of the flesh. To "love thy neighbor as thy self" is very hard to do at times for us all I think. Do we strive to do so? Of course, as we strive to do what is pleasing to God in our daily walk with him. Will we fail at times, Of course. The flesh will fail. Thank God he has sent his son to save our souls that are bound to God for eternity. God bless you my friend!

1. profile image53

JThomps42- I too have many sins and I love myself. With that said, we are to love other sinners too, looking past their sins, just like Jesus did. Thanks for your answer.

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 10 years agoin reply to this

You are very welcome my friend.

5. manatita44 profile image72
    manatita44posted 10 years ago

It is extremely difficult, but while serving here in a loving spirit, I wish to say that we do not all love ourselves. We tend to love our 'self' and not our 'Self' Loving our selves is an extremely positive quality and invokes the feeling from within to love others also without condition. The heart of the Saint bleeds even for the wild birds and flowers.
    Life mirrors what we are, and the greater our inner purity, that is to say, less hate, lust, deceit, selfishness, ego, attachments .... I could go on. But the less we harbor of these things, the more empathy and oneness we will feel for all God's children, our brothers and sisters: mankind. It is extremely difficult to make inner progress, without feeling that we should do unto others, as we wish for our selves. The heart must be receptive for the Higher Light to descend. Grace is very real, it is not a joke, but ingratitude and enmity, separation and division, keeps it at bay.

Neighbour as demonstrated by Jesus with the good Samaritan story, is someone in need. We run into countless people with different needs every day. By the way, giving can be done on many planes: a smile, prayer, psychically, financially, physically .... there are countless ways.
    Finally, it is an insult to a Man who we say came and died to love and help us, if we cannot have an intense faith and believe in both Him and Paul when they ask us to be perfect and imitators of their lives. Difficult yes, but certainly possible and inevitable.. They lived to show us this.  Hope this helps.

1. profile image53

manatita44- Thank you, I really like your answer. Your answer should give us all something to think about.

6. Ericdierker profile image45
    Ericdierkerposted 10 years ago

I do not know where you get these great questions Graceinus. But keep it up.

I worry for my congregation on this question. I know they try, I know they seek guidance to do it better. I know they accept it as a command. And I know they feel bad for not being able to do it. So that is not my problem here.

The problem with so many of them is that they really do not completely love themselves. They do not really get how special and miraculous they all are. I think it is hard for them to really believe the are the children of God and perfect in their spirit.
    They make mistakes and get down on themselves. They get greedy and feel guilty. They have doubts and think that is sinful. I work at and try to convince just how wonderful they are, but I fail.
    And so it is that I never mention this scripture with out mentioning the other and greater commandment: John 13:33-35
    ’ so now I say to you. 34 A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. 35 By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”

I find by approaching it in this was we force ourselves to realize just How much the King loves all his children. From there we learn to love ourselves as He did. And then how much more may we love our neighbor.

And so I answer, each man can do it and must do it. Because we still have to reach for loving them as Christ loves us.

Thanks again buddy for a really cool question that required much thought. I shall dub you the great Question Preacher.

1. profile image53

Eric- I thanky you for your kinkd words. It is my hope that my question will provoke answers that come from one's heart. The geart thing about good answers is learning from them. When Jesus was questioned, His answers always came from the heart.

7. wmhoward4 profile image65
    wmhoward4posted 10 years ago

By making a habit of love, eventually we can get to the level Jesus strives for.

1. Ericdierker profile image45
      Ericdierkerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Truth. It is really cool that in ten years it gets easier.

2. profile image53

wmhoward4- Yes I  agree, we mush strives for His level of loving others each any ever day. Thank you.

8. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 10 years ago

The thing is, if we hate our neighbor there is no way way we can truly love ourselves
    If we love ourselves we can't let hate into our hearts.
    People have pride and ego and think it is self love.

1. profile image53

Deborah- Thank you very much for your coment
      God Bless

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)