Do you think government should play a role in health education for our children?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)
  1. Abby Campbell profile image73
    Abby Campbellposted 10 years ago

Do you think government should play a role in health education for our children?

With the obesity epidemic on the rise, do you think government should crack down on health education for our children in public schools? I often hear from parents that our children are not being taught health or physical education (PE) in their schools. I know that when I was in elementary and middle schools, it was mandatory to take health and PE. In fact, we even had the Presidential Fitness Challenge in which we had to pass annually or we failed PE. It was what gave me the love of fitness. Since many parents aren't teaching their children health, do you think these standards would help?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7941960_f260.jpg

2. lburmaster profile image73
    lburmasterposted 10 years ago

Or that the parents don't care enough to teach their children themselves. Honestly, this is one argument where I do believe the schools should be teaching health. I was homeschooled and my parents didn't teach me much about health either. In college, I took anatomy and health and learned a great deal that I wish I'd known earlier. So yes, I agree with that idea.

Abby Campbellposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for commenting, Iburmaster. I also homeschooled my girls up through 8th grade. We used a variety of curriculum, but most of them offer health in which we used Abeka. For PE, they were on swim team, dance team, and softball league.

2. lburmaster profile image73
      lburmasterposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I know Abeka very well. But we used Saxon math. See, that's an easier PE than going to the YMCA every week. Swim team sounds fantastic. Why up until 8th grade? High school during homeschool is exactly like college. Drive to class and do your homework

3. Abby Campbell profile image73

We moved to a very rural area. My hubby was concerned about socialization. I lost the war with him, and I still wish I would have homeschooled them through high school. Like you said, they could have killed two birds with one stone (college). sad

4. lburmaster profile image73
      lburmasterposted 10 years agoin reply to this

He was actually concerned about it?! That was my mother's biggest worry, but it didn't bother me until college. In our area, there are plenty of homeschool groups to visit. Dual credit saved a ton on classes, but I loved high school.

3. Jeff Berndt profile image74
    Jeff Berndtposted 10 years ago

Well, the problem with that is the same problem we're having now with standardized testing.

Some kids are going to fail the Presidential Fitness test and there's not a lot they can do about it. If you've got asthma, for example, you might not be able to run as far or as fast as your classmates. If you're a lot younger than the rest of your class (born right before the cutoff date, for example, or skipped a grade) you're going to be expected to meet standards for kids who are older (and stronger) than you are.

Perhaps if the standard (for all subjects, not just PE) were not only about raw achievement but also improvement? Say you start the year able to do, oh, fifty sit-ups in a minute and by the end of the year you're doing fifty-six, you pass. Or if you started the year able to do only fifteen, but by the end of the year you can do thirty, you still pass, 'cos you improved by 100%.

The problem with rating student achievement is that it's hard and expensive to do it in a meaningful way. This is why standardized testing stinks.

Thanks for answering, Jeff. You have some great ideas for testing. I like the idea of ongoing assessments. That's what I do as a nutritionist and personal trainer as well. It's the fair way.

4. celeste inscribed profile image88
    celeste inscribedposted 10 years ago

Yes, I think if our children were encouraged to live healthier and more active lives from a very young age, they may be more inclined to continue this kind of lifestyle into adulthood. I know not all children are capable of the same athletic abilities but teachers could be taught to teach P.E. at different levels to accommodate any health or physical limitations, but I guess this would be in a perfect world.

I agree, Celeste. I was out at Chinese dining once with my hubby. The family next to us were all large except one young son. I observed their plates, and he was the only one eating health. I don't know where his education came in but I liked this.

5. stanwshura profile image70
    stanwshuraposted 10 years ago

Unless you are talking some 2-3 hours per school day (not gonna happen, nor should it), phys.ed will do *diddly* for the growing waistlines of all Americans across both genders, all age groups, and even across socio-economic strata. 

That - and phys. ed. is not this magic bullet of yesteryear.  I was around during the PFC days.  P.E. was sometimes fun, but mostly boring, and a mosh pit for bullying and unsupervised abuse.  Gym is a fine component to an overall education and childhood wholesomeness blah blah blah, but it must be done right and in balance.

You cannot *teach* a healthy lifestyle.  You have to live it.  You can educate *about* it, and that is something parents can't do fully, not alone, anyway.  They CAN set the example (and the rules!) as to what is eaten and how much activity the children do (chores, sports, charity, physical and outdoor play) et cetera, and set reasonable limits (not Draconian - that will backfire for LIFE!) regarding TV, computer, cell phone and app. use, and other sedentary leisure.

But, as the kids age - and especially those for whom academics is not a walk in the park, the homework load is going to get heavier and heavier - and with it, so will your children, unless it is counter-balanced in a fun, proactive, healthy way.  But this has to start EARLY, because by the time some of our young ones are crying (or sleeping) at the kitchen table on hour 5 or 6 of high school homework, it will be too late to even TALK to them about health - 'cuz they have the hammer over their heads if they want to graduate.

I'm in Massachusetts - the land of MCAS.  We are NOT going to standardize or test our way to better health. 

This will not be solved in the schools.  It is a societal problem.  It is truly of cultural proportions and that is going to require an *evolutionary* change, which, by definition, takes time.  But if overall health and wellness isn't a global priority, we're beaten before we start.

Stan, why do you think that a "process of change" cannot benefit from schools requiring health and PE? Even 1 hour of education can be a part of that process at a different angle. As for me, PE was very active and well-taught. Just need good coaches.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)